What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's clean o'clock

Sharkbait

Registered
Taking off the glass still scares the crap out of me. Any ideas when that feeling wears off?
Yes it's filthy. I know. I'm on it.

Attachments

• 20221015_131857.jpg
    20221015_131857.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 61
My experience is that it feels like an odd process on some machines. The glass wants to slide out and you have to be in control of it. And glass is a fragile thing, it does break.

Lots to learn Young Jedi.... :D
Well yes, I realise. We've all got to start somewhere, right?
So what's the recommended thing to clean the playfield with? I'm using meguiars detailing spray and a magic sponge. Then wiped clean with a dry microfiber cloth, then carnauba wax.
The artwork is so bright, it's gorgeous.

So what's the recommended thing to clean the playfield with? I'm using meguiars detailing spray and a magic sponge. Then wiped clean with a dry microfiber cloth, then carnauba wax.
Well, that's better. I really need to have a proper clean and take it apart, but I've been in there with my little cloths as much as I can and it looks a whooooole lot better.
Now to plug and play. Hopefully.
Wax off.

Attachments

• 20221015_152702.jpg
    20221015_152702.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 41
The feeling will pass when you have done some meaningful repairs. Completing more challenging jobs resets your expectations of what scary looks like.

I thought that flight to America was awful. Then you fly to South Africa and America does not seem so bad. Then you fly to Australia etc etc

The feeling will pass when you have done some meaningful repairs. Completing more challenging jobs resets your expectations of what scary looks like.

I thought that flight to America was awful. Then you fly to South Africa and America does not seem so bad. Then you fly to Australia etc etc
You mean it's just all calculated on a scale of horror?
Gtk.
😅

I use foam cleaner, then Novus 1 and then wax if it needs it (but I am usually rubbish after waxing, as it is lightening fast!).

Personally, I wouldn’t use magic sponge, as I am sure they contain bleach or a similar chemicals.

It gets easier each time and before long you will be whipping the glass off every 5 minutes!

I use foam cleaner, then Novus 1 and then wax if it needs it (but I am usually rubbish after waxing, as it is lightening fast!).

Personally, I wouldn’t use magic sponge, as I am sure they contain bleach or a similar chemicals.

It gets easier each time and before long you will be whipping the glass off every 5 minutes!
I did think that so I've been really careful to wipe off all the residue. Long term it isn't something I'll do.
Know what you mean about the speed, I like it though. 😁

I did think that so I've been really careful to wipe off all the residue. Long term it isn't something I'll do.
Know what you mean about the speed, I like it though. 😁

Gives me something to blame though……….‘It’s not me who is rubbish….it’ is the waxing’

its more that the magic sponge is abrasive. a few rubs and you can be thru the paint.

from a quick search
Magic Erasers don't magically erase everything — here's where not to use them:
  • Shiny painted, enameled, sealed, or varnished surfaces. ...
  • Wood. ...
  • Your car. ...
  • Natural stone surfaces, including granite and marble. ...
  • Non-stick pots and pans. ...
  • Stainless steel. ...
  • One-of-a-kind collectibles. ...
  • Screens.

basically a lot of pinbally things. I've used them myself before but best avoided if possible or just be really careful (they do seem to easily remove all sorts of crap though so its temping)
a couple of wipes too many and it can go from shiny ... to bare wood.

its more that the magic sponge is abrasive. a few rubs and you can be thru the paint.

from a quick search
Magic Erasers don't magically erase everything — here's where not to use them:
  • Shiny painted, enameled, sealed, or varnished surfaces. ...
  • Wood. ...
  • Your car. ...
  • Natural stone surfaces, including granite and marble. ...
  • Non-stick pots and pans. ...
  • Stainless steel. ...
  • One-of-a-kind collectibles. ...
  • Screens.

basically a lot of pinbally things. I've used them myself before but best avoided if possible or just be really careful (they do seem to easily remove all sorts of crap though so its temping)
a couple of wipes too many and it can go from shiny ... to bare wood.
Yeah that's my first and last time! Thank you for the advice.
Still, it's lovely now I'm very happy now it's plugged in and working. Hurrah!

I used a magic eraser today for the first time on an uncleared playfield and really pleased with the results, was going for it and no worries with going to bare wood. Maybe a brand thing you need to watch out for, on a clear coated playfield I use cutting compound for cars to clean it up and give it a nice smooth shiny finish. Can use this on uncleared if you are careful.
I use Gerlitz no.1 carnauba wax on non clear coated and Insulator 845 wax for clear coated which is really easy to use.
Foam cleaner first for all.
Playfields with mylar I get the machine polisher out and cutting compound and normally bend the sling shot switches up as I forget to tape them back.

The Gerltiz 1 wax is great - but it does make the machine very fast............... I used foam then Novus 2 before waxing.

Gets dirty again quite quickly (TAF) I think the under playfield metal is probably quite manky. Need to pluck up courage to take a few bits off for a proper cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom