What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a better DMD?

Marcel

Site Supporter
Thinking of putting a colour DMD in my LOTR as I genuinely love the game, is there a better version of colour DMD, I've no experience of them at all and of I'm doing it, no point going half measures.

I’ve just put a colorDmD LCD in my lotr and it’s truly awesome.
I’ve got it set on high def and it changes the game completely.
The animations for lotr are some of the best on colordmd.
They’re not cheap but totally worth it 👍

Also the good thing about LCD is you have several different display choices whereas led you don’t.
There’s XL dots, tiles, hi res and a couple of others.

Yep not cheap, but I honestly think a colour display is the best mod for any dmd era pin… you won’t be disappointed.

You’ll be paying £480 after vat for a Color DMD from Shaun at PP.
But it’s the best upgrade out there and totally worth it.
Put up a wanted ad you can usually pick up a used unit at a discounted price .

^ I covered Colour screens here

LED vs LCD
It comes down to personal preferance
Some people like LCD and the different modes you can use
Some people like LED as they feel it is closer to the look of a plasma (What your game came with) display

You’ll be paying £480 after vat for a Color DMD from Shaun at PP.
But it’s the best upgrade out there and totally worth it.
Put up a wanted ad you can usually pick up a used unit at a discounted price .
It is not cheap - but keep your original DMD and when you sell the game - keep the colordmd and you can put it in your next game.

PIN2DMD - personally I do not like the big ones. Plus each game you put it in - you have to pay for all the colour files. Some games do not have colourisation.

LED vs LCD
It comes down to personal preferance
Some people like LCD and the different modes you can use
Some people like LED as they feel it is closer to the look of a plasma (What your game came with) display

Yeah, I think this subject is split down the middle.

ClolorDMD LED for me . . . . I've ordered one for TOM actually. I had one on Judge Dredd and it was the best screen I've ever had. Just looks right because of the dots and it's really vibrant too.

I have a Colordmd LED in Tommy & an LCD in Family Guy, recently fitted a Pin2dmd in DESW was super impressed.
If the colourisation files are available and for the price I'd choose Pin2dmd all day long now.

In LOTR I'd personally go for LCD - mine had one with upscaling and it looked great!

It is not cheap - but keep your original DMD and when you sell the game - keep the colordmd and you can put it in your next game.

PIN2DMD - personally I do not like the big ones. Plus each game you put it in - you have to pay for all the colour files. Some games do not have colourisation.
Does that mean ColorDMD screens are re-programmable? Or are the graphics sent from the game itself?
Is the ColorDMD LED a similar brightness to the LCD?
Been looking at my Monster Bash tonight, I guess that it'll be a similar display to a ColorDMD LCD.

Does that mean ColorDMD screens are re-programmable? Or are the graphics sent from the game itself?
Is the ColorDMD LED a similar brightness to the LCD?
Been looking at my Monster Bash tonight, I guess that it'll be a similar display to a ColorDMD LCD.
Yes, a colorDMD is reprogrammable for any game. I can take mine out of my Stern Spiderman and put it in my Stern Ironman
The same display can be changed from a Stern to a Bally/Williams, but you need different cabling
The very first models (made for Attack From Mars) were locked, but colorDMD will give you a code to unlock it (surprisingly quick)
Older models may not work with some games. Off the top of my head, some games (Spiderman, Twilight zone) needed more onboard memory

If you need a display for early Data East (Star Trek 25) with the smaller display, you have to buy the LED version made for that series of games
If you want one for a Cirquis Voltaire, you can only use the LED version, the LCD will not fit
I am not sure about SEGA games with the curved backboxes
Also not sure about SEGA games with the extra large display

Back
Top Bottom