What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the London/SE League meet on this Sunday (20th Jan)?

cyberkryten

Site Supporter
Alias
Martyn
Just wondered if anyone knows if the L&SE league meet is on this Sunday @Chief Coffee and if it is, are there any spaces left?

My son and I are up in London Saturday night, so thought we might stick around and have a go if it is going ahead, but I haven't seen anything about it, other than the entry on the UK Pinball League schedule

thanks,

Yes, it's definitely on Sunday, email dawn on the page here: http://ukpinballleague.co.uk/contacts.php and she'll let you know and add you to future announcements and dates.

But I suspect you'd OK if you wanted to rock up and register on the day, hopefully OK with Chief.

League games played from 1pm - 5pm, with the kickout time at 5:30pm

Hopefully see you there!

My first visit to Chief Coffee will be for the L&SE league meet this weekend. Can anyone please suggest best nearby car parking? Thanks

Bloody London

Distance from my house 9 miles

Predicted travel time 65-70 mins according to citymapper FFS

Kind of explains why I’ve not been yet. Looking forward to getting there this weekend

Yeah it’s easy to find parking round the streets where Chief is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to Sam and everyone else involved for today

Good to see I didn’t even make the top 30 odd on the score board. Been beaten by at least 17 places by my 11 year old

I’ve lived in London for almost 30 years and never been around that area. Seemed a lovely place.

crap MM game and should have done better with Deadpool, had mech suit ready to go and megaldon to finish and I freaking missed it the shot and I couldn't cope with the lean on GOTG.

Yup, I was one of the 16 'missing after action' - and in my case def inaccurate action! But my first time at one of these events and enjoyed it. Tons of passionate pinball play on display along with some demon performances. I'm going to have to get over to Flip out London for some coaching.

Great day, thanks to the organisers and Sam @Chief for hosting.

I got absolutely smashed by Josh on the day which was quite annoying and something he's not going to let me forget!

Josh was pleased with 12th place, especially as he's not played more than a couple of games on Maiden (back at Pinfest) or Ghostbusters and he had a single game at all on Deadpool.

I managed to put up a thoroughly embarrassing score on Guardians, helped my worst drop catch attempt ever, but felt I redeemed myself a little with the final game on Deadpool, coming fifth on that (even if I did feel annoyed to drop all three balls at the end of Ninja multi ball in under a second), but zero league points for me :(

I wouldn’t sweat it for a couple of reasons Martin - first environment- on GOTG as the machine was totally un-level - someone had the bright idea of moving it to create a little more space to get into Ghostbusters - but then didn’t level it with the ball catching the top of the sling and heading super right out of groot. I’d say it was the same for everyone but in this case it wasn’t - I had two practise games with it level and then in competition is wasn’t! WTF! with a few folks playing the games on a different day without the same environment or the levelling issues on GOTG in my view seems super questionable.

From now on I’m going to have a quiet private session to play my games! ;) The game settings could have done with tweaks or more notification as GOTG was also running code where the ball saver doesn’t work and has a bug in it. On modern sterns, install novelty, install competition, on others turn on tournament/competition mode (check the manual for the game). Some folks didn’t get to play their games because the games went on so long as the tilt was very forgiving. Either you make the games play shorter or you cap the number of players. It took 6 hours to play 5 games. When in my view it should be more like three.

The second issue is the format of UK league isn’t balanced. If I take myself and Chris (who is absolutely a better player than me BTW) I got a better score than him in 3/5 of the games - but he ends up higher in the results! Yes play better for sure but its kinda WTF :)

I think those running the UK league should consider stronger guidelines for machine setup and clarify the timing for when players are able to play their games. But I really enjoyed it anyway and Chief has a superb line up of games and fantastic coffee!

Cheers,
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil, paragraphs 1 and 2, it was Sam's first ever occassion as a league host and he has learnt the hard way.

League scoring is very balanced the better player is the one who averaged higher scores overall. In meets with fewer games one bad score really does kill your position. The more machines the less one bad score affects you as it's averaged out.

I think there are some set up guidelines somewhere but probably forgotten about.

That's a shame to hear things didn't run as smoothly as could have been hoped.

As Peter says don't think anyone can blame Sam - it was his first time as hosting and it's more up to the regional co-ordinator to resolve these issues.

Maybe something for @WayneJ to consider as head of the league. I would if I was still in charge but no longer my place to get involved.

The things I'd look at would be:

- unlevel games. To be fair unless it was moved just before the start of the comp after practice, players had every opportunity to point this out and get it corrected before the start.

- players not playing games on same day
Never heard this ever happening before and nothing in the rules that I recall that allows this. In exceptional circumstances would expect regional co-ordinator to have some discretion but should be very much a one-off exception for something very unusual and not just fact players can't make the Sunday. As has been said this can have an unfair influence on the results if the machines don't play the same for everyone on different days. Why should some players get preferntial tratement.

- number of games
Can't do anything about player numbers (short of splitting SE into two regions: London and SE) and good to hear so many turned out but of course it does cause it's own problems with the time it takes to get the games in. I'ts always struck me as odd that only 5 games are ever played in the SE league. With more machines usually available, to me it would make more sense to have more games in the comp. This wouldn't make the comp last any longer as the time spent wiating would be used playing so would mean players could play more games instead of wasting time waiting which I can imagine would be frustrating. Furthemore as Peter commented above it would give a more balanced result where one bad game has less of a detrimental impact.

Just my 2pw.

Hey Neil, I’m not sure at what point guardians was moved and made un-level but if it was brought to my attention I would have moved it back to its correct position.
The code has a glitch where the ball saver at the end of groot doesn’t activate for an outlane drain but wasn’t aware of any other issues with the code or scoring.
Apologies if you thought the tilts were too forgiving, I will tighten them up if we host another event in the future so thanks for flagging.
Re: the players that played the day before. This was requested earlier in the week and was agreed by the organisers.
It was a very popular meet with over 45 players turning up so was always going to be a squeeze to fit all of the games in. I think only 27 had confirmed they were attending so the additional players definitely had a knock on time wise...
Thanks again for coming down and looking forward to the next meet at flipout!

just to be clear, I'm not blaming Sam or anyone, anyone offering to host is a hero in my view and those that have hosted know that its not easy -but I believe in feedback to make things better for next time. In saying that - I think having an inconsistent environment for players isn't acceptable and for me the whole point of four out of six is so that you can miss a couple of meets, but I don't make the rules, and last time I chipped in on league rules I got a pretty much heave-ho on any changes - thats fine with me! :D

I think understanding who has responsibility for what in hosting a league meeting would be helpful and what they should do and perhaps whats expected. If there is a guide great, lets see it and make sure its uptodate, if not then I'm up for creating a guide.

Greg on your latter point - coping with the number of players should have been easy with a tougher game setup, no need to do anything else, and being stuck in Chief for 6 hours vs B&Q for 6 hours I know what I prefer, I enjoyed the day :D

Cheers,
Neil.

Hey Neil, I’m not sure at what point guardians was moved and made un-level but if it was brought to my attention I would have moved it back to its correct position.
The code has a glitch where the ball saver at the end of groot doesn’t activate for an outlane drain but wasn’t aware of any other issues with the code or scoring.
Apologies if you thought the tilts were too forgiving, I will tighten them up if we host another event in the future so thanks for flagging.
Re: the players that played the day before. This was requested earlier in the week and was agreed by the organisers.
It was a very popular meet with over 45 players turning up so was always going to be a squeeze to fit all of the games in. I think only 27 had confirmed they were attending so the additional players definitely had a knock on time wise...
Thanks again for coming down and looking forward to the next meet at flipout!

Sam, it was a great meet and I appreciate you hosting it, we had a great day with a superb line up of modern and great classic machines.

I actually don't have a problem with the game being moved and un-level if its the same for everybody and If I'd known it was un-level I'd have said. I played a practise game of every game and at the start they were all fine. But when the game was moved it wasn't un-level for everyone because folks played the day before, which is why any such requests to play other than at the same time as anyone else in my view just shouldn't be allowed. In addition have no doubt I and others would have played better without 40 other folks in the room also.

I do think players need to do a better job of working with organisers on if they are coming or not too.

But Its hard to know what you need to do and impossible to be consistent if there is no guide, so I think having a guide for hosts would help. But be sure Sam I'm trying to be positive about making changes to make it better, it was a great day and I hope you host another round.

Neil.

League scoring is very balanced the better player is the one who averaged higher scores overall. In meets with fewer games one bad score really does kill your position. The more machines the less one bad score affects you as it's averaged out.

Peter - so on the format for UK&SE that isn't true unfortunately. :) I averaged better scores than another player but end up with lower points for the round overall? No system is perfect for sure but this system seems unbalanced because of that. I agree more games more averaging but as you say one bad game (which for me was MM) and boom you suffer :D

That's a shame to hear things didn't run as smoothly as could have been hoped.

As Peter says don't think anyone can blame Sam - it was his first time as hosting and it's more up to the regional co-ordinator to resolve these issues.

Maybe something for @WayneJ to consider as head of the league. I would if I was still in charge but no longer my place to get involved.

The things I'd look at would be:

- unlevel games. To be fair unless it was moved just before the start of the comp after practice, players had every opportunity to point this out and get it corrected before the start.

- players not playing games on same day
Never heard this ever happening before and nothing in the rules that I recall that allows this. In exceptional circumstances would expect regional co-ordinator to have some discretion but should be very much a one-off exception for something very unusual and not just fact players can't make the Sunday. As has been said this can have an unfair influence on the results if the machines don't play the same for everyone on different days. Why should some players get preferntial tratement.

- number of games
Can't do anything about player numbers (short of splitting SE into two regions: London and SE) and good to hear so many turned out but of course it does cause it's own problems with the time it takes to get the games in. I'ts always struck me as odd that only 5 games are ever played in the SE league. With more machines usually available, to me it would make more sense to have more games in the comp. This wouldn't make the comp last any longer as the time spent wiating would be used playing so would mean players could play more games instead of wasting time waiting which I can imagine would be frustrating. Furthemore as Peter commented above it would give a more balanced result where one bad game has less of a detrimental impact.

Just my 2pw.

Actually considering how many people turned up, it ran pretty well overall :)

1: I agree Greg, I had played it and it was fine then it wasn't but that was when my first ball comes down hits the sling and goes STDM!
2: Totally agree.
3: I think this can be sorted with machine settings, but if you are a host then you don't know what you need to do so no fault of the host in my view.

Neil.

Neil, there are rules for the league here

http://ukpinballleague.co.uk/rules.php

but they don't cater for every situation and have pretty much stayed the same since first written by Eddie Mole and me back in 2007! If there's a new significant issue not covered, always scope for it be added but as I say up to Wayne and regional co-ordinators. As you say feedback is important and if people don't speak up then organisers don't know and therefore have the opportunity to review and amend accordingly.

It was myself that played on the Saturday (as agreed with Sam and Dawn) as i was unable to attend due to my wife organisizing a birthday meal on the Sunday. If i had been told that it wasn't possible, then I would have accepted it of course. Sam supervised all of my games and I very much apprieciated him taking time out to do so.

Just an aside, Guardians wasn't level on Saturday either (I have no idea if as bad as on Sunday).

Hey Matt, it was cool until it was moved in the afternoon on Sunday causing the lean (as the ground slopes in that corner of the room)
It was fine during practice and when I played my league game, so guess it must have been moved later in the day

Back
Top Bottom