What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is smoke normal???

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Playing LOTR this evening and noticed the backlight tube is on the fritz. Carry on playing and something starts to buzz in/around the backbox and then smoke starts coming out!

I’ve had a look inside and nothing obviously burnt or charred in there, but the fluorescent tube’s definitely gone.

Q: can a fluorescent bulb smoke like that when it dies?? Or could it be the ballast thing in the top right corner?

I had been looking for an excuse to put a DIY LED panel in anyway!

I've had florescent light fittings pack in at work and emit smoke while they were giving up the ghost. I would guess if you can't see any obvious charring and the fixture is dead that this would be where it came from.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Once the acrid smoke cleared it played perfectly again.

I’ve got a few of the backbox dimming modules from Arcade Upkeep, plus some LED strips and white mount-board, so i’ll replace the lighting with something DIY. Works really well on SM - much more even light distribution and dims when you starts the game.

Back
Top Bottom