What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Art blades for Ghostbusters

Chris P

Site Supporter
Alias
Choppa
I have installed a few sets now and think I have cracked it. I have managed to do it by myself, it would probably be quicker and easier with and extra set of hands.
Here is the set I have waiting.
IMG_0321.JPG
These can be purchased from @philpalmer at
https://www.pinball.co.uk/shop/mods/stern-ghostbusters-art-blades/
There is no need to take out the play field.
First thing to do which is the most time consuming part (on your own) is to temporarily stick the blade in place with electrical tape like so. It is very important to get it dead straight which makes it a breeze when it comes to removing the backing.
IMG_0323.JPG
The next step is to slowly peel back the backing starting from the smaller end and slowly remove the electrical tape as you go along. If you notice you are going off track, no need to worry as they are designed to be adjusted easily without losing their sticky backing. Once you remove the electrical tape you can save the pieces for the other side.
IMG_0324.JPG
It can be a little tricky when it comes to the middle part where the play field is resting in an upright position, but you can just gently move the play field to help get leverage to push down the blade. The blades are very strong and well designed to fit perfectly to the playfled.
Here is the end result of side one.
IMG_0328.JPG
I am extremely happy with them and would recommend them to all GB owners.
Couple more pics of finished job.
IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0332.JPG

they look fantastic on GB and in my view they should come with the machine. TWD ones are also cool.

One thing that helps though is getting them as "unrolled" as possible.

Neil.

Looks great! I'm a big fan of mirror blades though, but wonder if these art blades would look better than mirrors on a GB. Maybe I should do one of each

You could just rest some mirror blades there temporarily to see what it looks like, I personally prefer the art blades that have been drawn by the same artist that match the rest of the play field.

Fitted my Aerosmith ones today, thanks to @Garry Sp8 for selling me his :thumbs:. As previously mentioned these Stern Art Blades are very good quality, thick and resilient to creasing/tearing. Good idea on putting them under the rug for a few hours to stop them curling. As long as you don't stick too much down at once you can pull it back up to reposition.

If I was doing it again I would have taped them in place initially with the playfield down rather than up. That way you can line up the whole length with the glass guide. Once the playfield is up it is tricky to see at the back.

I've seen videos of people pulling half the backing paper off then cutting it off, bad move as I found out. It is better to pull half the backing paper off but slide it back between the blade and cabinet, that way when you get to the tricky half way point you can just slowly pull the backing paper away from the back of the cabinet.

I put a sticky pad on each bracket to stop them scratching when putting the playfield down. What a pain these Pro's are without the sliding support brackets...cheap skates!

All Pins should have either art blades or mirrors on the insides IMO. Looks so much better and seems unfinished if they don't. Still trying to find some Creeping Death ones outside of the U.S for my Metallica.

20170802_194825.jpg 20170802_193753.jpg

Last edited:
Fitted my Aerosmith ones today, thanks to @Garry Sp8 for selling me his :thumbs:. As previously mentioned these Stern Art Blades are very good quality, thick and resilient to creasing/tearing. Good idea on putting them under the rug for a few hours to stop them curling. As long as you don't stick too much down at once you can pull it back up to reposition.

If I was doing it again I would have taped them in place initially with the playfield down rather than up. That way you can line up the whole length with the glass guide. Once the playfield is up it is tricky to see at the back.

I've seen videos of people pulling half the backing paper off then cutting it off, bad move as I found out. It is better to pull half the backing paper off but slide it back between the blade and cabinet, that way when you get to the tricky half way point you can just slowly pull the backing paper away from the back of the cabinet.

I put a sticky pad on each bracket to stop them scratching when putting the playfield down. What a pain these Pro's are without the sliding support brackets...cheap skates!

All Pins should have either art blades or mirrors on the insides IMO. Looks so much better and seems unfinished if they don't. Still trying to find some Creeping Death ones outside of the U.S for my Metallica.

View attachment 49845 View attachment 49846
Joeraptor2003@yahoo.com from pinside does them and sold me my Metallica ones for 100 bucks inc postage and including the dmd panel decal that matches the blades. Not a bad deal imho

got these for my WPT:

poker.jpg

going to take PF out to fit them I think.

Those blades are nice on GB. Next you need to buy some purple passion LED's from comet pinball and replace them with the GI on the lower playfield..

Like this..

I love the art blades. Going to pick some up soon for my GB. Such a beautiful game and this really finishes it off nicely. I think I may get the mezel mod library as well

I love the art blades. Going to pick some up soon for my GB. Such a beautiful game and this really finishes it off nicely. I think I may get the mezel mod library as well

Don't forget to send it to Rudi to get it painted properly!! ;) :)

Fitted some PinGraffix ones to my WOZ today. These aren't as good quality as Stern's, but good enough. They are cut to size but come on a larger piece of paper, and annoyingly are missing the holes to fit them over the head bolts so you have to cut your own. Same procedure as above but cut out from the larger piece first, then position in place with the backing paper still intact. Once in place I stuck a craft knife through where the head bolts are then removed them to cut out the hole. A 10p piece is the perfect size to create your hole. You can use the piece you cut out to cover the bolt if you want. Tack them back in place then apply from the front, pulling the backing paper back through the middle which makes it easy to get past the tricky part. I took my time and they turned out perfect.

I've seen people spraying the back with water but there is no need for that. If you cock it up they are fairly easy to pull back up and re-apply.

20170813_170135.jpg 20170813_172035.jpg 20170813_173838.jpg 20170813_174417.jpg 20170813_175420.jpg 20170813_172658_001.jpg

I think you can get ones from Pin Graffix that light up. Look pretty cool. Can't post the link and company blocked website but have a look on their website.

Back
Top Bottom