What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indy 500 Flipper trouble

Roger440

Registered
Im having some flipper trouble which so far, ive been unable to resolve.

Basically, the left flipper doesn't always work, or rather it always operates, but sometimes stutters, sometimes drops back even though the button is still held in.

Tried swapping the boards left to right but made no difference.

Being a later machine, im not entirely sure how i can further fault find on this.

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

How’s the solder and wire contact on the coil lugs? A poor connection can cause issues.

Or maybe look at the flipper button switch. Make sure it’s making good contact and the contacts are clean

How’s the solder and wire contact on the coil lugs? A poor connection can cause issues.

Or maybe look at the flipper button switch. Make sure it’s making good contact and the contacts are clean

The buttons operate an opto, fliptronic 2 if i have got it right? So no contacts :(

I will check the solder joints, though they "look" OK.

The eos switch on a fliptronic game has no purpose other than to tell the cpu it’s up it will play happily without an eos switch just give you a credit dot
I suspect either a bad coil or a faulty hold transistor
Also check the opto interrupter on the flipper button is coming far enough out and clearing the opto beam

The eos switch on a fliptronic game has no purpose other than to tell the cpu it’s up it will play happily without an eos switch just give you a credit dot
Also check the opto interrupter on the flipper button is coming far enough out and clearing the opto beam

Hmmm, had a fiddle earlier. Not realising that the EOS does nothing useful, i did discover that shorting out the solder joints on the EOS made the flipper come back up when i was holding the flipper button while it had failed and fell back down. I could do it pretty consistently too, so im guessing i have wire/solder /coil issue? Where does the transistor reside?

Tried the opto interrupter by again, with the button down, the flipper in the failed state, pulling the interrupter a bit further gave no result.

Check the hold winding on the coil where it meets the solder tab. It’s the finer wire and can break due to vibration. Give it a light tug to make sure it’s firm. If broken you may be able to reconnect it to the solder tab.

Check the hold winding on the coil where it meets the solder tab. It’s the finer wire and can break due to vibration. Give it a light tug to make sure it’s firm. If broken you may be able to reconnect it to the solder tab.
Thanks. I'll give the suggestions a try at the weekend :) Hopefully can get it going again.

Ok, an update. Despite much messing about, im unable to resolve this. Resoldered the joints. No change. Swapped coils left to right. Still no change.

So, based on Chris B's comments, im guessing at something on the board (transistor?)

Electrics im OK with, electronics, not so much. But, i guess im at the point now i need to stick another fliptronic2 board in it?

Any thoughts on this before i lay out for a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom