What's new

Wanted INDUCTOR 4.7 UH 3A (5551-09822-00)

biglouieuk

Site Supporter
Alias
robllewellynuk
I'd love to find a new one of these in the UK, so I can keep shipping costs down.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 14.35.27.png

IMG_20201118_194507.jpg

All the parts are off, and it's had a light wet and dry and a scrub with anti corrosion acid

2 traces lifted. But can jumper them.

But I think the bigger issue is the through-holes. The corrosion has really eaten into those and even though the solder sucker pulled all the solder, each was like a little volcano on the parts side.

I sniped each leg and then went in on top with desoldering gear....

I dunno how to fix those holes. If there is no metal there then there is no connection to the traces....

IMG_20201118_194520.jpg

Those holes, not great. 😬

IMG_20201118_172914.jpg

Scrap!

You can sometimes use pcb rivets to create a new connection, I've found that 0.9mm is the right size for this type of through hole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-Rive...-/293273630558?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

But they are fiddly to work with, hard to press, and if you don't press them straight the hole won't be big enough to take the new leg. For the number of holes you have to repair, it's going to be a big job.

These boards have such tiny traces they are a pain in the a5se to work on. Coupled with the fact that they are often acid damaged, more often than not the work isnt worth the effort.

I've managed to fix boards in a better state than this one, but if it were me, a board like this is for the bin. Unless you're doing it for fun.

I think you're probably correct! I'm doing it for fun at the moment. But as they say, "When the fun stops. Stop!" 🙂

Thanks @Pick Holder appreciate that. The board I did recently it wasn't too bad so just reused it, but thought it would be good to have a couple in the parts box as backup.

What is their function by the way?

I think they provide a smoothing effect against spikes of lecky?

Back
Top Bottom