What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In at the deep end - EM pin help

devtty0

Registered
Hey,

So I've just bought my first pin - an EM pin 'Lucky Aces' from ebay .. in blackpool .. as mentioned in this thread : http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/ebay-auctions-2018.38465/page-43

.. of course it didnt work :) .. but at the price I bought it for, I wasnt expecting it to!

I went through the wiring, and fixed a few broken wires, and was able to get it playing briefly :clap: .. but I could do with replacing one of the connectors; someone has ripped it out at some point, and pulled all the contacts off! .. does anyone know where I can get some of these?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 27
Those are called "Jones Plugs' - @Jay Walker might have some spare as he sourced one for me. I had similar issue on two of my EM's and I managed to repair the broken plugs by glueing them back together, so you could try that. You can also use a jumper wire with a croc clip either end to make each connection temporarily, so you can keep moving forward and sort other issues out whilst looking for a replacement. Another suggestion is this: Often you will find connectors at both ends of the wire that runs from the backbox to the cabinet. You can 'hard wire one end - say the cabinet end, by replacing the jones plugs with modern screw terminal connectors and then you will have plenty of spare jones plugs and sockets to use at the other end. I would only do this as a last resort though.

Finally, I also bought some old jones plugs from the USA (ebay.com) - but they cost a lotta what with postage and import duty.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Nice one @devtty0 welcome to EM ownership. I like the look of your machine, Christian Marche artwork and a great cabinet paint job which I hope is still intact. The schematic is on ipdb if you haven't found it already.

Fortunately you're not dealing with the cr*ppy Bally in-house Jones plugs so that's good. I've got EM parts including Jones plugs from pinparts.co.uk and pinballdaze.co.uk check with them:thumbs:

4 options.
- find some old ones from here or eBay
- bodge what you have
- make your own
- use a modern connector and replace when it burns out.

I'm experimenting with 'make your own' using fuse clips and stuff.

If you only pulled the contacts off and all the pins and receivers are intact a good session with a soldering iron should be good enough.

cheers for the replies - someone has yanked out the connector, and all the female pins have been ripped off the housing and bent .. I guess one option is to replace them with molex connectors ..

People and suppliers have these parts in their spares, they are common and machines have been parted over the years. Post a pic of what you need and how many pins it has in the "parts wanted" section. Keep the machine as original as you can and probably less work in this case to just replace the broken side once you source it.

Back
Top Bottom