What's new

I'm CARless - first time in 37 years!

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Today I sold my car Disco Sport. That marks the end of 37 years of having my own car. Feels really weird.

I must be getting old as I used to enjoy the cut n thrust of doing a car deal, but selling this has been a nightmare. Monday 2 wide boys from a dealership in East Yorks turned up after agreeing to buy it on "Motorway", then proceeded to try batter the price down by £2k.
They went home empty handed.

Today the chap who travelled up from West London & bought it brought £25k+ in cash......... No thanks. then it turned out he didn't have enough in his bank to cover the full amount, so I had to take a bit of cash, once he'd managed to figure out how to do a bank transfer.
He wasn't happy that I googled fake £20's and had a bloody good look at them all........

I dont fancy going through all this hassle in a couple of weeks time again when we sell Clare's Mini Cooper S.

Anyone wanna buy a Mini Cooper S Auto fully, fully loaded? 😂 😂 😂

Can't imagine carrying 20k in a suitcase 😳
Proper movie stuff 🤣

In my 20s I worked for a very cash based business. Found myself travelling to Heathrow once with a suitcase and 30 grand in cash. Met up with my Japanese boss. Who hand just flown in from Tokyo. Swapped my suitcase for his and handed him the cash and a ticket to Amsterdam. All perfectly legitimate but I was absolutely crapping myself about cctv footage. 😂. The same boss managed to leave 20 grand in a jacket in a restaurant in Camden once. Went absolutely ballistic when it went missing.

Being car less has a lot of advantages though provided you have decent public transport. I rarely had one before we had kids. I quite fancy getting shot of one again in the future.

Today I sold my car Disco Sport. That marks the end of 37 years of having my own car. Feels really weird.

I must be getting old as I used to enjoy the cut n thrust of doing a car deal, but selling this has been a nightmare. Monday 2 wide boys from a dealership in East Yorks turned up after agreeing to buy it on "Motorway", then proceeded to try batter the price down by £2k.

Today the chap who travelled up from West London & bought it brought £25k+ in cash......... No thanks. then it turned out he didn't have enough in his bank to cover the full amount, so I had to take a bit of cash, once he'd managed to figure out how to do a bank transfer.
He wasn't happy that I googled fake £20's and had a bloody good look at them all........

I dont fancy going through all this hassle in a couple of weeks time again when we sell Clare's Mini Cooper S.

Every car i've ever sold has been a total pita.

The best one was a guy came from scotland to buy my first mini cooper on the train. He started whinging on about the door seal making a noise during the test drive.... I told him never been in an accident, but he didn't believe me. Decided not to buy it and was then looking about on the street as to where to go to get back to the train.

I insisted on giving him a lift back to the station. Should have seen his face!!! bright red all the way back. I was tempted to drop him in manningham in bradford and leave him to it, but i was kind and went back to the station.. lol

I had a bloke I sold a car to years ago,turn up at my door 4 months later,saying I owed him 30 quid as he had got a puncture and had to buy a new tyre,why it took him 4 months to come round and try and ask me for money I don't know,he turned up in a different car to the one i'd sold him,and never got any money back from me,just swore a bit then f**ked off

I sold my wife's car with webuyanycar to avoid all that sort of BS. The price online was competitive, but then they knocked off just over a grand after inspecting it (which I think is how their business model works tbh). It was worth it simply to avoid all the hassle though. I once tried selling on autotrader and the only people who phoned me were agents wanting to advertise it elsewhere - what a pita having them constantly calling that was too!!

I only lease cars so don't have the hassle. After two, hand it back and they give you a new one. No expense on tyres, MOT brakes etc. Pain free driving.

Watch of for those fake £20. One of the lads I know had a bundle and they are very very hare to tell the difference.

I sold my wife's car with webuyanycar to avoid all that sort of BS. The price online was competitive, but then they knocked off just over a grand after inspecting it (which I think is how their business model works tbh). It was worth it simply to avoid all the hassle though. I once tried selling on autotrader and the only people who phoned me were agents wanting to advertise it elsewhere - what a pita having them constantly calling that was too!!
i tried all those sites. all low trade prices. motorway got me a decent price but the buyer then wanted 2k off for nothing. i got more bus private sale on autotrader. plus plenty of low dealer trade price offers

Tough - you gotta expect that when serious money and a stranger are concerned. I'd be checking every single one!

Last edited:
I had a bloke I sold a car to years ago,turn up at my door 4 months later,saying I owed him 30 quid as he had got a puncture and had to buy a new tyre,why it took him 4 months to come round and try and ask me for money I don't know,he turned up in a different car to the one i'd sold him,and never got any money back from me,just swore a bit then f**ked off
What the actual f%^&k!!! Jesus christ!!

Reminds me of a guy who i sold a pachinko machine to , then whinged like f%^k about it saying he couldn't get it to work even though it was shown as working before he took it and he didn't buy any balls for it. Had to do a 'return' in the street with his mates around me...

25k in 20s hahaha, mental. I can just see the bank cashiers face when you roll in with that lot

it was bad enough back when you sold a pin for 3k and you got 20s :) a million questions at the bank

I’ve sold a few cars through WeBuyAnyCar and have always been paid what they advertised. I made sure to present them in decent nick and be honest in my listing.

Each time I was expecting hassle but it’s worked out fine.

I’ve sold a few cars through WeBuyAnyCar and have always been paid what they advertised. I made sure to present them in decent nick and be honest in my listing.

Each time I was expecting hassle but it’s worked out fine.
they came up with a very low value for my car, so i didn’t choose them

I know the owner of ''motorway', he lives in the next road. They make **** loads of money so he must be doing something right. For a recent start up it is now valued at £1bn. Impressive.

Are you going car-less ongoing? Or just consolidating?

We’ve got 2x EV’s now. They suit our use cases perfectly, 250-300mile range is good enough for 99.5% of our journeys, and we can charge at home (essential in my opinion).

I’ll be carless permanently, but Clare has a car, which we’re upgrading from the Mini to a Formentor so we can fit two adults in the back more easily.

Back
Top Bottom