What's new

I must be mad!

Mike Kindler

Site Supporter
Talking to fellow pinheads at Swavesey and explaining that I have committed (and I should be!) to doing a charity swim on the 29th September.

I'll be swimming 2019 yards (about a mile and a quarter) in support of the Province of Surrey 2019 Masonic Charity Festival.

If you are a swimmer, a mile and a quarter is a warm up, if you're a 65 year old pinhead who has lead a sedentary life up to his retirement it looks a long way (Its 74 lengths of my local pool). I've been having lessons and swimming three times a week since January. (Don't worry you'll still see me even if I turn sideways!)

So if you are feeling generous and have a spare few quid after buying all your pinbits do sponsor me.

You can do this online at https://e0130.everydayhero.com/uk/mike-s-sponsored-swim

Thanks in advance for your generosity.

Regards
Mike Kindler

Nice one Mike.
For someone who every time I see you at a event / show you are always having a nap.
Let's hope you don't fall asleep half way into your swim.

I’m a keen swimmer. When I lived in the city close to a swimming pool. I was swimming 4 times a week. Now just once a week.. best form of exercise for general well-being fitness..

I usually swim about 80lengths of a 25metre pool without stopping. It’s amazing how quickly you can build up the lengths. However 35mins is enough for me. Your body gets used to it.. Start at 10 lengths and work your way up..

Its the non stop bit I struggle with. I can do about 200m breaststroke in one go. 75m Front crawl before I need to catch my breath. But as you say, it is getting easier, the most I have done in a session is 52 lengths and I've three months training to go. Off the beer now until the swim is done.... apart from when England are playing a match so hopefully another 180 minutes of beer.
As an aside, I went for a swim in Cambridge on Saturday before the Swavesey event got going, saw a fellow swimmer doing Breaststroke lengths, took him nine strokes to do a length, it takes me around 40! So a lot of coaching required to make life easier for myself.

I do front crawl. Which basically allows you to rest inbetween each stroke. Left side resting right side pulling, then just small flicks with my legs.. You need to wear budgie smugglers as baggy shorts create loads of drag :)

Efficiency is the key.. Just keep thinking of pulling thru the water best you can and try not to miscount lengths..

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm not sure inflicting me in Budgie smugglers on an unsuspecting public is very fair! But I do swim in jammers which are a bit better.

Well done Mike and I'm sure by the time you come to do it it will be a walk in the ...er..park...or pool ....

Bump! Good on you Mike, made my donation. I know you do lots of work towards charity causes which is fantastic. Choosing this particular challenge though, you might actually be mad!

Back
Top Bottom