What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove a screw with the head missing

Solar Sailer

Site Supporter
I'm guessing just drill it out? Got a Dr Who time expander post with a screw in with a screw head glued on....
Cant find the post on anyones inventory.

This is what I would do ,might not be correct but ...
first thing is to remove the post from the playfield and fit it in a vice . It there is a bit of that screw sticking up a bit it may be possible to dermal a little slot in the shank of that screw . The other way is to drill a small indent of center of that screw , then with a fin flat screwdriver put it in the indent and hold the screwdriver on a shallowing angle and tap with a hammer in the direction of unscrewing it .
if that does not work then buy a new one !

I bought 2 from pinball Mania(I think), slightly longer thread at top of post by a few mm. Also have the 2 original posts I replaced, as in photo, with one of them still serviceable.

Attachments

• D7808F70-F2C9-4D65-8F24-0EC2B51E688E.jpeg
    D7808F70-F2C9-4D65-8F24-0EC2B51E688E.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 25
I bought 2 from pinball Mania(I think), slightly longer thread at top of post by a few mm. Also have the 2 original posts I replaced, as in photo, with one of them still serviceable.
I looked on Andy's and Phil's websites along with our Europeans friends and partners. Not seeing the post!

If you fail to find a replace post... If you know someone with a welder get them to tac on a bit of rod and unscrew it that way

I'm guessing just drill it out? Got a Dr Who time expander post with a screw in with a screw head glued on....
Cant find the post on anyones inventory.

tell me the part number or the bottom thread size and I’ll send you something. I’m sure I’ll have one that will be equivalent. The one you have has had it’s life and is now time to rest in peace!!

You Guys should try these.... They are called "Rocklers" and are basically tiny 1/2 " or 5/8" hole saws. You put into a drill and saw out the broken / sheared screw. You are fet with a perfectly round hole that just needs a piece of dowel glued into it. The post covers the hole completely. They are brilliant especially when working on old EM games where most of the post screws shear off.download.jpg

tell me the part number or the bottom thread size and I’ll send you something. I’m sure I’ll have one that will be equivalent. The one you have has had it’s life and is now time to rest in peace!!

After a bit more research!
It's a 02 4659 mini post. Andy has them in stock.
Yes, I'll retire this post with full honours!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-101811_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-101811_Chrome.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 22
in the RC world we would put a Dremel disc on and grind a slot in the screw then use a flathead to get it out.

You Guys should try these.... They are called "Rocklers" and are basically tiny 1/2 " or 5/8" hole saws. You put into a drill and saw out the broken / sheared screw. You are fet with a perfectly round hole that just needs a piece of dowel glued into it. The post covers the hole completely. They are brilliant especially when working on old EM games where most of the post screws shear off.View attachment 101625
can you get those in the uk,or do they come from the usa?

can you get those in the uk,or do they come from the usa?
You can order them from the Rockler website in the USA, They do not charge silly shipping fee and I recently bought one of each size and they were £12 each and about £7 shipping They are truly brilliant You can but Dowel rod or jointing pins in B&Q for about £3 As everything is hidden under the post it is a easy way of getting rid if sheared screws.

You Guys should try these.... They are called "Rocklers" and are basically tiny 1/2 " or 5/8" hole saws. You put into a drill and saw out the broken / sheared screw. You are fet with a perfectly round hole that just needs a piece of dowel glued into it. The post covers the hole completely. They are brilliant especially when working on old EM games where most of the post screws shear off.View attachment 101625

Not sure I’d want to use one of them on a pf lol

Not sure I’d want to use one of them on a pf lol
The alternative is to try to use screw extractors or drill that 9 times out of ten leave a mess afterwards. The beauty of these is that it leave a perfectly round hole a tiny bit bigger than the original screw so that you can put a exact size dowel rod into filling the hole exactly and permanently , allowing a new screw to be used in it and the whole thing is completely covered by the post concerned. What way do you remove these blasted sheared screws?

Back
Top Bottom