What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much space is required?

Stags6969

Registered
Alias
Bilbo Stag
Hi
Thinking of converting part of my integral garage into a pin room, but want to know what is the minimum space required to be able to remove the glass and playfield, for when cleaning or repairs are required.
Height of the garage is 2.4m, so think this is high enough to remove the playfield.
Also, what is the recommended amount of space between pins?

My main pinroom started life as an integral garage. It's 2.5m wide which is enough to get the glass off with an inch or 2 to spare ( yes I know I mixed metric and imperial :D ).

That’s good to know. Mine is 2.7m but this is block to block.
What did you do regarding wall and floor insulation?

Thanks again.
Looks like I will have to speak to building regs regarding change of use. Was hoping to leave a small amount of garage space accessible from the garage door and then install a new block wall. So pin room would not be the whole length of the garage.
May be another issue, as the access in would be from the utility room and not the main hallway. Which then requires a means of escape.
It gets more complicated, the more I read.

I didn’t go through planning or regs. I just put new wooden garage doors on. So from the outside nothing changed. But inside it looks like a normal room. If somebody wished to convert it back they could quite easily. Just rip up the celotex floating floor.

It's a workshop not living space.i insulated with high density foam metal clad panels by kingspan, think normally use em on roofs but they were cheap as seconds.I have 6 inch foil back high density foam in the roof

Last edited:
Bear in mind if you have a game like a gottlieb sys 80 you need more space to reove glass as a deeper depth tho side rail mod can negate this

If keeping a garage door you do not require building regs /planning etc etc. My game room number 2 is in my integral garage and my bedroom is above ! Walls are skimmed (plastered) As for the floor I have used industrial carpet tiles (bitumen base) so no damp comes through , well not yet ,been like this for about 10 years ,so as that say proof is in the pudding !! The garage door is insulated and I still use the front section as a garage with a curtain as a divider , should really be a student wall with a 2'9" door in it ,one day I will get round to it !!

Intend to keep the garage door, but with a block partition, so two separate rooms. Also need to add access from the house that wasn't previously there.
Just concerned with leaving thousands of pounds worth of machines behind a garage door, hence the block partition.

Converting Integral garage into living space falls under Permitted Developments and doesn't need planning permission

You also do not need permission for new door or windows if they are on existing elevations... Unless its a modern build and you have a condition on the planning app...

Almost 100% positive you will need planning permission etc etc to do that !!

Mine is exactly like that, with no planning permission.

I did not change the garage door, instead I had a wall put up against it from the inside. A new doorway is knocked through into the room/ garage from the hallway of the house.

It's a bit of a pain loading machines in and out as hallway is tight and the machines need to make a right angle turn into the room. Some times the cab needs to be dismantled to get in.

Good though. No need to leave the house to get to the games. Can walk in bare feet in my boxers at night without bother.

Too much information

Is that not part of the appeal? You wanna play some games but it's raining outside and it's dark. You have to put some clothes on to get to the shed which would be cold etc, that would make me think twice for sure.

We're thinking about moving house and it's difficult to find somewhere with something like an integrated double garage or a room within the house with big enough space to hold all the games & more. I'd like to keep everything indoors.

Looks like a discussion with the local council Buildings Reg Officer is required. Not exactly the same as anyone else on here, by the sounds of it. Access won’t be from the hallway and I think that makes a difference regarding escape route requirements.

Last edited:
After a chat with the building regs officer it looks like it’s on. ?
Nearly decided to do the whole garage, but going to keep the up and over door space as storage and just convert the back part.
Had a local builder around to have a look and just waiting on a quote.
I’ll only get 3 pins in, but as I have none at present, this won’t be an issue. For a little while anyway.

The wife has already ruled carpet tiles out for the flooring, so wanted to know wether it’s better going doing the carpet route, or a laminate type of floor. Builder is going to screed over the insulation, if that makes any difference to the choice.

Don’t need planning permission.
Just do it on a builders notice and can be signed off by building control. Council or independent.

Back
Top Bottom