What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How game rules come about

P

Pavlov

pavlovpinball.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_04_rules_300x115.jpg

Pinball machines these days are released with incomplete code – as anyone who has bought a NIB Stern machine or JJP’s Wizard of Oz will confirm.… Read more...

hey Paul. if you will permit some constructive criticism, that was a good article but far too short and so came across as unfinished - it's not an article on rules but just one man's view on how he puts them together. were you perhaps hoping to include the interview you told me about yesterday as well?

maybe you could write about the progression from points-based to mode-based games (was High Speed the first?) or about when Wizard Modes appeared, or how balanced scoring can make or break a game for scoring and competition play (eg. BOP billionaire shot). what makes a game ruleset 'deep'? what is exponential scoring about? what about shot or playfield multipliers (WH2O and SM spring to mind)? and how about some scoring glitches that had an impact (like WOZ throneroom or TOTAN genie stack)?

i don't like to be negative, i'm a big fan of Pavlov Pinball site, but this was a B- effort from a normally grade A journalist

gif white cell chasing and eating bacterium.gif

Hi Dan. Good to meet you at last on Saturday and thanks for the lamp holders. And thanks for the constuctive comments - they are helpful. I was hoping to include input from programmers from two other manufacturers but in the end that didn't happen - as is often the way with these sorts of stories - and then there is the decision to be made to publish with what you have or delay further. Maybe I should have waited in this case...

Good suggestions though for a future piece, so thanks for them too.

One final thought - if you are going to say you are useless at pinball, at least have the good grace not to beat me on The Champion Pub. That's definately not cool....

Can I just point out the irony that the constructive criticism from Dan was about the article feeling like it was incomplete? :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom