What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hobbit Smaug Mouth Motor Issue

mark9

Site Supporter
Alias
Mark Craven
Has anyone had to change the motor that moves Smaug mouth? Mine stopped working completely although the head turn motor still works.

Had it apart and can't see any physical issues. Read on pinside that these motors are prone to failure.

Tried changing the parameters in test but no movement from that motor at all.

Mine is all good and so far, no issues.

Great to find that motor if that is the issue!

Good luck and keep me posted please.

Will do. Problem only occurred after about 3 years and 500 or so games.

I’m fed up of Smaug telling me my life is worth nothing 😂 think I’ll disconnect his motor lol

A spare like that for £7.33 is amazing, wonder what the genuine replacement via JJP would be!? A whole unit at USD500+?

I’m getting 5v at the connection into the head, so guess can only be the motor, but I’ll believe it only when I see Smaug gobbing off again.

I’m getting 5v at the connection into the head, so guess can only be the motor, but I’ll believe it only when I see Smaug gobbing off again.
Voltage needs to be there, but so do logic levels on the other control wires to get it to move. Fingers crossed it's the motor itself.

Ok, fair enough. Can you check logic levels with a standard meter? Always happy to learn new stuff.

Ok, fair enough. Can you check logic levels with a standard meter? Always happy to learn new stuff.
Not easily as they pulse quickly, a logic probe or oscilloscope.
I bought the cheapest logic probe £7 and it's been a handy tool. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logic-Pr...474571?hash=item56cd0e9d8b:g:h4kAAOSwAGhdqHfd
Not a huge expert on Stepper motors, there are many different types, some with, some without onboard drivers, some have 3 wires, others 4 and others 5.

As you have ordered a new motor anyway, may as well wait, try that, hopefully it will work, if not then you'll be digging into the driver circuitry to see whats going on.

Handy that you could easily identify the precise servo from one of the largest global RC suppliers and certainly the cheap end. These do fail, happened on my RC yacht rudder whilst out on the water earlier this year.

Handy that you could easily identify the precise servo from one of the largest global RC suppliers and certainly the cheap end. These do fail, happened on my RC yacht rudder whilst out on the water earlier this year.

Did you have to swim out and retrieve it :p

I think early code may have caused damage to the motor by clenching smaugs teeth that was fixed in later code. I sent the entire head to @philpalmer as the left right optos also had an issue. He fixed that and new jaw motor and smaug has been happily giving me sh1t ever since!

I got the website link for the motor from Pinside, looks like in the US they are having to ship them from here.

I thought my problem occurred after I put the latest code on, but I can't be sure exactly when it stopped working.

The problem is the jaw isnt calibrated properly, so in Smaug test you can calibrate the limits min/max...

The mouth in open position should open until just before it hits resistance and the mouth closed should be closed before it actually has to put strain on to hold it closed. Otherwise the motor is under stress and will fail....

Smaug's talking again! New servo motor solved the problem. Was a bit of a pain to fit the motor's loom in the right place, had to take the whole mech to pieces to get the loom through the holes.

Have now set the parameters so he doesn't open his jaw too wide and whack it anymore.

Set mine at 120-138.

Was originally 106-138 I think.

At 120 the mouth is fully shut, any lower number and the bottom teeth are pushing against the top teeth. The settings won’t allow you to go any higher than 120.

Back
Top Bottom