What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HLD - A Phone Call

I had a go on that exact WC94 machine a few weeks ago. Was good fun. Far more fun than the actual game itself.

Aren't Stern, JJP etc the real reason prices are going up? They make a product and can sell it for what they want. We may not like the price hikes but nobody is forcing us to buy them. I don't have a problem with the increase in prices. I don't like it but I don't have a problem with it. Markets decide price ultimately.

Business is after all, business.

True, markets ultimately decide pricing, and depending on your circumstances you might be very happy about the status quo, or not.

Personally - it's frustrating that I now can't find a decent TAF for even £5k, but those that own them are quids in.

Regarding NIB prices - I'm not sure how relevant they are to 20+ year old machines with no warranty, but clearly the hobby as a whole has a seemingly rising cost of entry. It seems generally that assets like these are increasingly appreciating in value as people seek to hedge against global uncertainty. I sold a car 2 years ago now for more money than it cost me to buy it, and it hasn't gone down at all in that period.

@Paul , does HLD contribute financially to the forum ? Other dealers do. If not, maybe invite a contribution and if zero is forthcoming perhaps ban them

Not that I am aware of.
The Forum is currently Independent thanks to the contributions of it's members, and happy to be in that position. I could ask for advertising donations, however that would then challenge the neutrality.
Long may this balance continue - the forum needs enough to survive and pay the bills - No more.

Saying this, there are some that Contribute markedly more towards it through Dontations. And they know that their contributions are Highly valued - however also accept that they are treated the same as everyone else.
If they wish to disclose themselves that is up to them, however I can count them on one hand, and they are well known Amongst us.

Sorry to resurrect this, but in the rundown video, it looked like the decals won't be touched, no flipper rebuilds, just a deep clean is in the offing and some switch testing and credit dot removal.

No NVRAM adding.
Flame polishing for the win though.

I would expect warranty and cost of sale numbers to be much lower than my initial estimates. Also, the advice is that this should not be carried out by "just anyone" who owns a pinball, isn't to me sound advice either, don't buy a dog if you don't intend on walking it.

Again, Gordon Gecko would state greed in a free market is good, and heck if it is out there go for it, but I am dubious of the value add really being delivered here, when the initial cost is so low.

Problem is like used car sales there is a pretty big incentive to do the absolute minimum remedial work necessary. Anything you do above and beyond the machine actually working eats into your profit margin, and if your typical customer is a first time pinball buyer then chances are they aren't going to know what to look for. As said earlier - their customers are not people on this forum.

There are some good entities out there that proactively fix things because that's just how they operate, and because they care about their reputation. The smaller the circle of their prospective customers, and how targeted their business model is, the more important it probably is for them to maintain that reputation because they live and die by it. HLD and companies like it? They're probably doing enough business besides pinballs that it doesn't really matter to them if a few of their customers who has just fallen out of warranty or found out that the machine they've bought isn't as mint as they thought it was gets a bit uppity.

Back
Top Bottom