What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP - TAF Fuzzy Sound!

Cherryadams

Registered
I bought my TAF a couple of months ago and only the RH Tweeter speaker was working (annoying wasp sound!) so I connected a spare speaker to test/replace the LH Mid Range speaker and it worked. Read up on speaker upgrades and decided to purchase a pair of good quality 4ohm co-axial car speakers to replace the tweeter and mid range on the backboard plus an 8" 4ohm woofer to replace the standard defective speaker in the cabinet. As I was so keen to play it with proper sound I only repaced the LH speaker (straight swap not requiring any mods just soldering) and simply connected the woofer in parallel (think standard speakers are wired in series) with good quality speaker wire and placed it face down over the hole where the old cabinet speaker was. Sounded absolutley brilliant and only on 10 volume setting so merrily played it for about an hour when it went crackly/fuzzy. Can't find any poor connections and have unplugged and refitted the multi connectors on the sound card nut no difference. I did switch the machine off almost straight away and when I switched it back on it did come good very briefly but then reverted back to fuzz. Any ideas anyone? Can you buy new sound cards or is it something simpler (I hope)?

Sounds like it might be amp related - when it gets warm then it's distorting the output. I'm sure that someone who actually knows what they are on about will be along to advise..... However firstly as in all problems electronic on these machines, re-seat both ends of ALL connectors terminating on the Sound board - might just be a dodgy contact when it gets warm in there...

Out of interest, what's the Wattage rating of the replacement speakers? Unlikely, however it's a process of elimination... Have you any freezer spray handy?.. If you can get to the Amp chip (Not sure which it is on these boards - will have to dig the cct diagram out...) might be worth a quick squirt to see if it stops the distortion....

Paul

Hi Paul

I've had the sound board out and it lookd as though it may have had some work done on it previously but it made no difference when I re-installed it and checked connections on the board itself. I will do as you suggest and check the other ends. The co-axial speakers are 35w (210max) and the woofer is 100w (200max), both 4ohm so well up to the job. The only thing I can think is that by wiring them in parallel I have reduced the resistance down to 2 ohms, which has made the amp work harder than normal (silly I guess) but, like I say, I didn't have it turned up above 11 at any time. Does anyone know if you can obtain new soundboards?

That's very kind but after your last reply I removed and replaced connections at the other end of the ribbons that connect to the Sound board and sound has come back :) I'll let you know if it fails again (heat build up maybe), thanks very much for your help

Back
Top Bottom