What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello with a tale

Horsey

Registered
Howdy folks, been a lurker on here for a while now and finally getting around to joining. Was planning on saving my hello for when I get my first wanted thread up but not quite ready (currently got a 8month old daughter and selling my house)

I have been an arcade fan and more importantly a shmup fanatic but over the last year I have gotten right into pinballs (pinball arcade, of course) I think they have very similar appeal as shmups (beautiful art, simple but difficult Gameplay, high score chasing etc)
Anyway I'm babbling already. The reason for my Hello is I had my first experience on a real pinball in about 10 years.

Being from Scotland there isn't a huge many places that have pins. So I was delighted that my wife suggested going to Glasgow for the day a few weeks ago. I headed straight to Megabytes cafe as I knew they had a number of good pins. It was only when I got there that I saw they had no pins. In fact the cafe was closing. Was pretty gutted.

Fast forward a few days later and I am at a caravan park called Pettycur bay in Kinghorn which is just 10mins from my house. I was swimming with my daughter and had heard they had a pinball machine. Unfortunately I couldn't go play it that day.
After heading home, I checked the net to find it was a Big Buck Pro. Was pretty excited yo try it. I heard it wasn't in great nick but I wasn't bothered. I watched numerous vids on scoring and shots on YouTube to get ready to play it. Eventually 3 weeks later(today) I finally got 20mins away from the wife and child to go play it.
As I walked into their little arcade I was shocked to see it was no longer there!
But in its place was a Metallica pro. To say I was excited was an understatment. It was a newish stern pin in the flesh and looked in really good condition.
Although the sound was quite low and the lights weren't so bright due to the room being well light, it looked awesome.
It was 50p or 3 for a quid so I fired in a few quid.
Pulled the plunger and away I went, only for the ball to drain right away. Ok I thought, first try and that. Then 2nd ball was pretty much the same.
Turns out the machine wasn't level. Incredibly difficult yo keep the ball in play. It was most frustrating!
I tried to level the legs only to be asked by a staff member what the hell I was doing. The young lad just shrugged and told me to stop.
So I had 7 balls left to play so tried to make the most of it.
I managed to get the ball round the top loop only for it to get stuck! It would not budge. So after a few nudges, the tilt activated but no movement on the ball. I managed to lift the pin quite high and it finally fell only for the twat to tell me off again.
So my first experience has been underwhelming to say the least. I certainly had mixed emotions about the 15mins I had there.
I hope to go back soon and hopefully it is levelled or I have enough time to sort myself.
The pin itself is pretty cool though (although a little basic)
I don't really know why I felt the need to tell this story but I told my wife and she said she didn't care and to tell someone who did :)

You don't know how lucky you guys are down south with multiple pinball locations.

Anyway, Hello chaps and thanks for having a great forum

Cheers
Mark

Hi

Big buck hunter. Well I guess in the kingdom of the blind the eye eyed man....

Metallica’s a great game when you know the rules

I’m sure some of the Scottish guys on here can point you to some other sited pins

Anyway welcome to the forum

Welcome,...
If you're in Glasgow again there are a few options to play pinball. I believe HMV still have a few in the store, Super Bario bar usually have 2, Solid Rock cafe usually have one. Reardons snooker and pool hall has a TSPP but it's been in poor condition for years and really not worth wasting money on.
There's probably a few others I have forgotten or don't know about. Pretty sure there should be a few across in Edinburgh but I don't know where.
Just make sure the new house is big enough for a few pinball tables, one is never enough and they don't like living alone.

Hi

Big buck hunter. Well I guess in the kingdom of the blind the eye eyed man....

Metallica’s a great game when you know the rules

I’m sure some of the Scottish guys on here can point you to some other sited pins

Anyway welcome to the forum

Thanks mate.
I have heard people aren't too fond of bbh.

I've started to watch a few vids on Metallic for my return visit

Welcome,...
If you're in Glasgow again there are a few options to play pinball. I believe HMV still have a few in the store, Super Bario bar usually have 2, Solid Rock cafe usually have one. Reardons snooker and pool hall has a TSPP but it's been in poor condition for years and really not worth wasting money on.
There's probably a few others I have forgotten or don't know about. Pretty sure there should be a few across in Edinburgh but I don't know where.
Just make sure the new house is big enough for a few pinball tables, one is never enough and they don't like living alone.

Cheers mate. I heard from the folk who supplied megabytes with the pins that hmv has 2. The next time I'm through I will check it out.

I went to a pub that pinball locator said had one in Edinburgh but the pin was gone. Sad times.

Don't worry about the future new house,I already have a candy cab in my gamesroom and a few projects in the mother inlaws garage. So a decent space for me is an essential. More so than a working toilet or a watertight roof :) Some reason my wife and estate agents don't agree :rofl:

These modern Sterns are designed to drain like hell. Just give it a nudge next time. No need to lift the machine up ever. Enjoy!

Welcome Mark, if you can get away from the family for a time we have a league in Scotland meet mainly in the central belt and up in Dundee, we'r also hoping to get around 40 pins at Play Glasgow in Breahead next month. Give us a shout if your intrested in joining like minded people.

We'll be selling discounted tickets for Play Glasgow soon, keep an eye on the events page.

Welcome Mark, if you can get away from the family for a time we have a league in Scotland meet mainly in the central belt and up in Dundee, we'r also hoping to get around 40 pins at Play Glasgow in Breahead next month. Give us a shout if your intrested in joining like minded people.

We'll be selling discounted tickets for Play Glasgow soon, keep an eye on the events page.
Thanks for the welcome.
I had briefly looked at the pinball league and noticed there was a Scottish meet.
I think you do it on a Saturday ? I work during the day on a Saturday but if it was on any other day or at night then I would love to hear more.

I have been to Play expo in Blackpool a few times (I used to make a few YouTube vids) but never bothered with Glasgow.
But I will definitely be heading on the Sunday if there's 40pins.

Thanks mate

We normally meet on Sunday next on is 27th May in Cumbernauld warm up/ chatting ect starts from 11 and the competition starts at 1 all very relaxed and friendly. If you can't make that then we'll see you at Play.

I'm sure that there's a league member in your area because he's spoke about playing at Kinghorn before.

Welcome sir!

Try and take the time to explain the levelling issue to the lady in the arcade so that she can have a word with the operator. Worth them doing it if you take the time to explain it to them = happiness.

If you he operator is proud of his machines they'll have a card giving their details, just contact them directly.

Welcome sir!

Try and take the time to explain the levelling issue to the lady in the arcade so that she can have a word with the operator. Worth them doing it if you take the time to explain it to them = happiness.
I will try that the next time I'm there.

I now know the operator in charge of the machines so I'm going to send them a wee email just to let them know.

We normally meet on Sunday next on is 27th May in Cumbernauld warm up/ chatting ect starts from 11 and the competition starts at 1 all very relaxed and friendly. If you can't make that then we'll see you at Play.

I'm sure that there's a league member in your area because he's spoke about playing at Kinghorn before.

After a wee talk with my good lady wife, it now looks like you have a new attendee to the pinball league.
I will leave a comment on the thread and will get in contact closer to date for all the info regarding exact location and cost etc.

I really appreciate the invite

Hi you should maybe add to the email also if they are ever looking to sell it in the future you would be interested you never know it might bear fruits for yourself or somebody else.

Back
Top Bottom