What's new

Having trouble showing DirectB2S in PinballX front end

Andy B

Site Supporter
I am pulling this out as a separate question from my 4K VP build log so the question does not get lost in that log and also so others having the same issue will be able to hone in on this specific issue when they do a search.

So my issue is the DirectB2S backglasses are not showing in the PinballX front end.

They are showing fine when I launch a game.

If I have the option of "Use DirectB2S in Front End" selected Yes then the backglass just shows a black screen when scrolling through the tables. If I have it set to No then it just shows the PinballX logo.

There is no sepearate B2S related setting for Visual Pinball (I checked).

The DirectB2S backglasses are saved in the Tables folder in Visual Pinball and have the exact same filenames as the tables (only with different file type suffix obviously) and like I say play fine in game.

It's not a major sweat obviously but would be nice to be able to see the backglass on the backglass screen for each game when I'm scrolling through games rather than see the generic PinballX logo screen.

Anyone come across this issue before and know a fix for it please?

I think I rememeber I had this issue when I did my last build 3 years ago and I fixed it but I can't remember how and I can't see the solution documented in the log I did for that build.

FIA of any help.

Andy

It’s been a few years since I dabbled with pinballx and my memory is a little fuzzy. I think it’s a path issue, possibly to fix it’s the case of dragging a shortcut of your tables folder over to somewhere in the pinballx folder. Something like that. Maybe 🤔 😂

I’m setting up a new multi-monitor 4K build myself Andy. I haven’t got to the stage of setting up the front end yet but I was going to either PinUP or PinballY

I’ve gotten sidetracked actually having some fun playing tables after getting it all initially working.

Currently using keyboard / PS5 controller but I want to build a wired (or maybe even wireless) controller to use

Attachments

• IMG_0617.MOV
    1.6 MB
I’m setting up a new multi-monitor 4K build myself Andy. I haven’t got to the stage of setting up the front end yet but I was going to either PinUP or PinballY

I’ve gotten sidetracked actually having some fun playing tables after getting it all initially working.

Currently using keyboard / PS5 controller but I want to build a wired (or maybe even wireless) controller to use
Looking good. I tried PinballY but couldn’t get it to load - said I was missing files and I couldn’t be bothered to go searching for them.

Pinup looks a bit complicated to me and way more featured up than what I need. It’s hard enough configuring PinballX, VpinX and VPinmame to work together 😊

The major plus about PinUP is that one of the developers has put together a one click “baller installer” that sets up Visual Pinball (multiple versions) and PinMAME to all work together nicely. Future Pinball too if you want it.

I’m stuck getting PinUP itself to work though but the installer sets up a good base system.

I do not like pinup as a launcher. I do prefer pinball x. Used it for years. Very stable.

I tend to used PBX recorder and have a video of the backglass in the selection system.

Any table with a directb2s backglass takes time to load. Much quicker to use a video.

Also if you use pinup player - then you will not see anything on your backglass.

Tried PBX recorder.

Messed everything up.

Recorded AC/DC and Avatar:

AC/DC - Displayed playfield image but no backglass.

Avatar - Crashed PinballX - couldn't even quit it using Task Manager (CTRL/ALT/Delete) - had to do hard reset on PC. Even WIndows wouldn't start properly after I had done that. Had to roll back to the last restore point I had made before I installed PBX recorder. Even when I went back to that restore point the videos I made after the restore point were still there (so Avatar crashed PinballX and I had to do hard reset again).

Found the Avatar and AC/DC videos in the PinballX media folders, deleted them and promptly uninstalled PBX Recorder - I won't be doing that again - when I was getting the blue screen of death I was envisaging having to reinstall Windows from scratch.

I think I'm just going to live with the black screen on back-glass and PinballX logo on DMD when I'm scrolling through the front end now.

Back
Top Bottom