What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GrizZ's Ultimate Guide To Popeye - The good , the bad and the spinach

I would recommend spraying white and then pin-striping the bow, rather than buying expensive decals with fairly crap original art.

Morning Popeyes

Recently I have been losing sleep after discovering that the plastics that sit above Blutos head appear to have come in different designs.o_O

The flyer shows them like this ....

pop flyer.JPG

My machine , and others I have seen are like this ....

IMG_6917.JPG

And a guy on Pinside recently posted his ...which are a very different design

e65058b55ed987b9d6ac2bc49a6e336ea3fbdcfd.jpeg.jpg

Very interesting :hmm::hmm: ....well to me it is :D

Found a Popeye in the wild but it was in a poorly way (couldn't locate the balls to play it - the machine ones, not mine)

IMG-20180924-WA0005.jpg

South Pier in Blackpool i think it was. Sad times.

Hold on to your pipes Popeyes ...some very interesting news !!

Just looking at Pinball Life new website and blow me down sailor if I didn't spot this ...

a-17736.jpg

Yep - its the exit ramp from the mini playfield ...but not in the blue plastic (most commonly) or metal (rarely) ...it's WHITE o_Oo_O

According to Pinball Life these are NOS - so whether they were made up for prototypes, or they were just test runs ...who knows...

https://www.pinballlife.com/popeye-exit-ramp-assembly-opaque-white.html

Just before I tombstoned my Popeye ready for my new room build, I noticed the spinner wasn't working. Optos seemed to work when I manually moved the wheel. Any obvious things I should be looking at (when I unpack it again)?

Just before I tombstoned my Popeye ready for my new room build, I noticed the spinner wasn't working. Optos seemed to work when I manually moved the wheel. Any obvious things I should be looking at (when I unpack it again)?

Does it work in test mode ?

Check for correct voltage at the motor . Check for any wires off . Reseat any connectors at the motor/boards.

Does it work in test mode ?

Check for correct voltage at the motor . Check for any wires off . Reseat any connectors at the motor/boards.
OK - thanks. It didn't work in test mode. I'll check when I bring it back from the graveyard...

Hi all, very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post! Just wanted to say I've got a Popeye, and although it's a bit temperamental, I've had it up and running for 3 years now, and love it. I was going to buy something more modern, but prices seem to have gone a bit mental, so I guess I'll stick.....I have no idea how much it is even worth! Thanks so much for the write up, there were a couple of little things I hadn't sussed out, so time to go back and beat my high score!! Incidentally I bought a whole bunch of spare bits from Germany for £30, so if you need any new bits of plastic, or metalwork, ask me and I'd be happy to help you out if it's in my box of tricks!

Hi all, very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post! Just wanted to say I've got a Popeye, and although it's a bit temperamental, I've had it up and running for 3 years now, and love it. I was going to buy something more modern, but prices seem to have gone a bit mental, so I guess I'll stick.....I have no idea how much it is even worth! Thanks so much for the write up, there were a couple of little things I hadn't sussed out, so time to go back and beat my high score!! Incidentally I bought a whole bunch of spare bits from Germany for £30, so if you need any new bits of plastic, or metalwork, ask me and I'd be happy to help you out if it's in my box of tricks!

That's good to know as I have one waiting to be restored but I think all the plastics are good but time will tell. And welcome to the forum, any niggles I'm sure can be resolved on this very forum

Welcome aboard @draeburn !

Oooooh ...... If you had this plastic I would be interested .... mine has some weird scratches on it.

Capture.JPG

Just another quick one, if I sold mine, considering it's in good condition, fully working and cab is good (not mint, but good with a few scratches), what sort of price could I expect? I am just considering upgrading to a slightly newer machine.......thanks for any advice!

Just another quick one, if I sold mine, considering it's in good condition, fully working and cab is good (not mint, but good with a few scratches), what sort of price could I expect? I am just considering upgrading to a slightly newer machine.......thanks for any advice!

They don't come up *that* often ...... not been one on ebay for a while.

Last one on here was at the start of the year - £1500. Your cab sounds nicer.
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/popeye-£1500.38807/

I'd say 1500 - 1700 ..... and yes I am biased but it offers a lot of bang for your buck, a fully loaded widebody mid 90s Bally Williams. :clap:

Back
Top Bottom