What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Gottlieb Squarehead Playfield Bare Wood Restoration

val33

Site Supporter
Back in May I advertised for an EM playfield to do a bare wood restoration on. Slingshot99 offered me a Gottlieb Squarehead. It sounded ideal so a deal was done.

When it arrived I discovered that rather more work was needed than I had anticipated! The entire top veneer play surface was parting company from the rest of the plywood and there was no way it was going to be re-attached.

IMG_7317.jpeg IMG_7327.jpeg

First job was to remove the rails and scan the playfield on my Epson A3 scanner. Three full sets of scans at 800dpi.

Then peel off the playfield, literally! I found American Maple veneer in a suitable size online. I’ve only veneered once or twice before and don’t have a large press so decided to use the dry PVA and heat method of application. This worked very well and was quite easy. I routed all the holes with a mini edge bit mounted in a Dremel. I also repaired a couple of areas on the back of the playfield. After sanding I primed with Createx UVLS clear gloss and set the playfield aside to prepare the artwork.

IMG_7368.jpeg IMG_7369.jpeg
IMG_7372.jpeg IMG_7387.jpeg

First step was to stitch the scans together in to a single file. Turns out that Photoshop has this ability built in and it works perfectly. Next was to replace all the missing areas of artwork on the playfield using Photoshop again. Then I added a layer with registration marks so that I could ensure that each colour layer would be in the right place.

Once I was happy with the artwork, it was time to split it into the colour layers. Squarehead has seven colour layers. White, flesh, yellow, orange, red, blue and black, applied in that order. Again, Photoshop has tools for separating colours into layers. It sounds easy, but takes hours to get it right. You need to modify each layer to make the actual painting process easier. Where a colour edge is against a colour that is painted after it, you need to expand the edge by 0.5 to 1.0mm so that you do not have gaps or white lines if the layers do not quite match up perfectly. However, where the edge is against/over a previously applied colour, you must not expand it. After what felt like months, I had seven colour files. Now, I needed to convert them to ‘vector’ files that can be used for cutting. This involves ‘tracing’ around every object in the file. After messing around with various different software packages, I settled on Inkscape for this step. Again, this step is reasonably simple, but very time consuming to find the right settings for each file.

Red_layer_example.jpg Example of one colour file, this is the Red Layer.

Finally I was ready to cut the stencils on my Silhouette Cameo 4 Pro. I started by plotting each layer on to tracing paper to check it. Once I was happy with the files I then cut it from Oracal stencil film. This was the first major headache. The cut stencils were slightly different in size to the plotted sheets! They should have been identical. After wasting many many metres of film, I ditched the Silhouette and bought a Summa D60 vinyl cutter, rated as by far the most accurate cutter by most people in the trade.

IMG_8130.jpeg

The new cutter solved some of the issues, but not all. After tearing my hair out for weeks, I discovered that the tracing paper I was using is not dimensionally stable! I actually measured it expand by 4% overnight. No wonder the cut stencils never quite matched the tracing plots! I also then found that the programme supplied with the cutter was also not reliable, it would actually move small objects around by more than 5mm. I ditched it and invested in a third party programme recommended by the trade and that seems to be rock solid.

Finally I was able to paint. I started with Golden High Flow acrylic airbrush paints. These were great, easy to use and sprayed great. However, the layers would not adhere once fully cured. The first couple of layers would go on great and then once I got to the orange or red they would peel when I removed the stencil. I thought this was a problem with the paint, so tried several different paints. Eventually I worked out that the stencil film was leaving something on the paint that was affecting the adherence. Wiping each layer with lighter fluid after removing the stencil solved the issue!

After too many false starts and sanding the paint off the playfield so many times that I have almost sanded through the new veneer, I have finally got a working system and a painted playfield. It’s not perfect. The black key lines are a bit too thick in many places, but I’m overall very happy with it. I’ve sealed the colour layers with 2k lacquer. This has caused yet another issue! The red inserts have suddenly bled through the white paint. So next job is to flat this down and re-paint the white before another couple of layers of lacquer. Once this is fully cured I will flat it back to reduce the gloss to be more in keeping with being an EM playfield.

IMG_7544.jpeg IMG_8165.jpeg

IMG_7552.jpeg IMG_8247.jpeg

IMG_8249.jpeg IMG_8251.jpeg

IMG_8311.jpeg IMG_8301.jpeg

I am now looking for the next candidate to restore. I’m not ready to take on commissions yet, maybe after the next one. So, if you have an old EM playfield that’s a little worse for wear and going spare, I’d love to take it off your hands for a few beer tokens.

Attachments

• IMG_8315.jpeg
    IMG_8315.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8290.jpeg
    IMG_8290.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 9
That’s an amazing job for a first attempt. Sorry it was worse than you thought but hopefully the learning curve was worth the effort? Still working on finding you more ‘patients’.

That’s an amazing job for a first attempt. Sorry it was worse than you thought but hopefully the learning curve was worth the effort? Still working on finding you more ‘patients’.
Totally worth the effort! I’ve learnt a ton and have a huge list of ‘don’t do’ and ‘must do’ for next time. I should have guessed it was going to need a full veneer, and I now know that lots of sizes of inserts are not available, so if you have to remove them, do it very carefully.
Todays lesson, seal the bare wood and inserts with 2k lacquer not UVLS. This will prevent the inserts bleeding through the paint and insulate the veneer from the water content of the paint.
Hopefully tomorrow I can repaint the areas where the inserts have bled and get another layer of lacquer on.

Really looking forward to the next one!

Wow. top quality work.

If you can swap to non em, ie more popular games, you will have a huge order book

I’ve got a paragon playfield for example which I know others would have in a second if it was restored to that standard.

I’ve also got a fathom, medusa and flash gordon playfields coming available (once I swap them out for the new CPR ones i have bought). again all sought after.

The issues with more modern playfields are...

1: The artwork tends to be far more complex. This massively increases the time it takes to prepare the colour files and the time to 'weed' the stencil film.

2: Half Tone areas. These are impossible to recreate with stencils. The choices here are to airbrush a colour fade, use water slide decals to apply the half tone dots over the top or create a silkscreen to apply them. The last option would be the best, but expensive and difficult.

3: Cost. With reproduction playfields available at a reasonable price, most people would only want a restoration if it was cheaper and with the amount of work involved that is probably not going to be the case.

Having said all that, I'm certainly willing to give it a go!

How are you applying the 2K out of interest? I'm having a mare with rattle can not mixing correctly and getting patches of thinner ruining the finish.

How are you applying the 2K out of interest? I'm having a mare with rattle can not mixing correctly and getting patches of thinner ruining the finish.
That's strange. For this one I am using rattle cans too. Kept at room temperature, shaken for two minutes before pressing the button, then another two to three minuets before spraying. I always spray a test piece first and check that it dries as expected. I've had a can in the past that actually had no hardener in it, hence the test! I always try to have twice the quantity of paint on hand than I think I will need, just in case a can is duff.

That's strange. For this one I am using rattle cans too. Kept at room temperature, shaken for two minutes before pressing the button, then another two to three minuets before spraying. I always spray a test piece first and check that it dries as expected. I've had a can in the past that actually had no hardener in it, hence the test! I always try to have twice the quantity of paint on hand than I think I will need, just in case a can is duff.
Cool, what cans do you use please? I did 5 mins of rattling at 23 degrees and from three cans (have one left) had the same problem.

Cool, what cans do you use please? I did 5 mins of rattling at 23 degrees and from three cans (have one left) had the same problem.

Many thanks - I have used 3 cans of this so far.....never again. https://amzn.eu/d/5I7SiKh

I'm really not convinced that rattle cans are worth the hassle for playfields. My local car bodywork place charged me £20 for applying 3 coats of automotive 2K clear - I did the prep, including covering holes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom