What's new

Gottlieb Count-down - Tilt

backflipper

Site Supporter
Hey all
I have managed to get my count-down 90% there but have hit a bit of a stumbling block.
I have installed a Pascal P1-4x but I keep getting a tilt warning.
I have confirmed that the ball roll switch is closed and the pendulum is open.
I am at the point where I want to get the logic probe out but it’s not very well documented.
Am I right in thinking tilt arrives on control board(A1) via J7 Pin12? (Notes on schems attached)

I have re pinned any broken connector pins.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 10
Edit: read it wrong, only a single switch on there not labelled on that schematic though.

The tilt on the right hand side would be the slam tilt switch on the coin door if that's whats throwing you off when looking I would have thought.

The switch matrix listed here doesn't appear to be any more helpful either.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Count-Down

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the tilt mechanism for reference.

I checked this on pi repair and I think it looks right.
Edit: read it wrong, only a single switch on there not labelled on that schematic though.

The tilt on the right hand side would be the slam tilt switch on the coin door if that's whats throwing you off when looking I would have thought.

The switch matrix listed here doesn't appear to be any more helpful either.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Count-Down
thanks for the link I hadn’t seen that before.

My Gottlieb knowledge is sketchy. I had a Genie from this era and that was a horrible mess of EM and first gen solid state technology ....

From memory the tilt involves a very crude uncovered relay in the base of the cab. Could this be related to that ? Are those contacts all clean and properly seated ?

With the normally closed tilt switches - how about a temporary soldered jump wire on them to make really sure they really are closed ?

Flakey diodes ?

Use the pascal board to ignore the warning. It has a setting for this exact scenario.

Tilt issues on older games can be a nightmare to resolve. Gottlieb tilt system operates a normally closed tilts whereas badly Williams of the time operate a normally open system.

If you must sort it then get a wiring diagram and follow the tilt wire ensuring continuity throughout.

Ok I need to fess up.
When I first started sorting the initial issues out I hit problems with the slam circuit. All I had todo here was make the normally closed. Once I did this it progressed to a tilt issue. After making sure that all tilt switches were open I still had tilt going off.

My mistake was that I thought the large weighted switch under the playfield was a slam switch so I made sure that it was closed.
I was wrong it is a tilt switch and should have been open…

It boots and now I am working through the dirty and miss adjusted scoring switches.

Very close now

Use the pascal board to ignore the warning. It has a setting for this exact scenario.

Tilt issues on older games can be a nightmare to resolve. Gottlieb tilt system operates a normally closed tilts whereas badly Williams of the time operate a normally open system.

If you must sort it then get a wiring diagram and follow the tilt wire ensuring continuity throughout.
As it happens the Pascal boards allow you to disable the slam functionality via a jumper but the tilt can only be adjusted from the service menu.

My Genie had awful "in parallel" switches on the playfield. Maybe 5 or even 10 on one circuit - so triggering any one achieved the same score. Hence diagnosing faulty switches on games like this ain't a lot of fun.

You have my sympathy. Good on you for saving this old girl

Back
Top Bottom