What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! GOTG Wanted

todler

Site Supporter
I know its early days and they haven't been out long but I have a mate after a GOTG Pro. He only lives over the road which means I have access as well ;). I've dropped Chris B a line already so if anyone is thinking of moving one get in touch. If he doesn't have it I more than likely will (this gets me out of the promise not to buy another new in box machine :clap:).

I also have another mate who has said he wants a GOTG LE but not sure how serious he is when it will come to handing over the cash. Again if anyone is thinking of selling drop me a line and will put you in touch with him.

Cheers Tony

Wow, surprised so few sold with the film being such a success, how many sterns are normally sold though, seems a lot of ghost busters

Oh well, worth asking, I assumed it would have sold quite well. Don't think he will be in the market for a new one.
Will just have to keep an eye out for one, or win the lottery. I know Tobin sold his but missed out on it.
Cheers

I'm surprised so few sold as it is a great game. Maybe not enough out there for people to try out and get hooked (know there is one in Chief Coffee if you fancy a go and are localish).

IMHO, it's one of Stern's very best. I was not inspired by the theme not having seen the film but layout is really good, artwork fantastic, playfield and lighting very colourful and lcd really adds to it. (Now seen film and was pleasantly surprised).

As others have said elsewhere code is similar to Kiss and Aersomith in being mode based but Kiss is getting a bit of a cult following (would have appealed a lot more I reckon with a better theme) and code is improving all the time, already really fun to play and not yet seen the new code shown at TPF.

For me, SW gameplay is just a bit meh before you even consider the disappointing art and playfield and very surprised GB did so well given the ruleset where you're either stuck in one mode or not much to go for if not in a mode.

I love GOTG and have been playing it more than any other new arrival previously. I reckon in time it will be regarded as an all time classic. So can very much understand how current owners do not want to part with theirs. I can only thoroughly recommend checking it out if possible. Everyone who's played mine has commented how much fun it is:)

Although not best resolution as taken with phone, here's some pics of mine to show how fantastic it looks (although have added a few mods to mine). Anyone welcome to pop over to play.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_131618325.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131618325.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20180318_131621618.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131621618.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20180318_131627126.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131627126.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180318_131631798.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131631798.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180318_131637425.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131637425.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20180318_131641637.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131641637.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20180318_131648556.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131648556.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20180318_131652955.jpg
    IMG_20180318_131652955.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 56
Enjoyed a few games on gotg when at flipout and thought it was good fun, with pumping tunes, ch ch ch cherry bomb

Really enjoy the one at Tilt, much more fun than Star Wars
Was my fav game at Tilt.
If code is really worked on, it will be a classic for sure. With Stern, you just never know if they will totally finish a game.
Competition getting so fierce now so maybe they will because they kind of have to, to not slip in their market share.

i played this at TPF and was surprised how much i like this game. the theme is not for me AT ALL but as a pinball game it is really good. it kept me excited on a what turned into a very long game for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this was a DMD game I think it would rock - the screen just takes away from an excellent pinball game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If this was a DMD game I think it would rock - the screen just takes away from an excellent pinball game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel exactly the same with Star Wars.......

I want to love it, but it just doesn’t excite me and the LCD is just off putting.

My Pinball scouts in the field have reported back that there is one in my local boozer. I’m gonna check it out tonight. I’ll see if there’s an operators sticker on it. Give him a ring, he might sell it you never know!!

Thanks Keith @newforestpinball. Always been a bit wary of mirror blades with risk of scratching when lifting playfield. Yeah speaker lights work really well with it although you can see the reflection more which makes we think of invisiglass but with 17 pins I really don't want to go there!!

New code not out yet, was on display at Texas Pinball Festival apparently at weekend. The most recent update which I think is after you played, does work better so you don;t get loads of left drains after orb locks.

Cheers Greg

Has anyone uploaded the Cleland amended code for the added music and call outs. Just wondered if this makes much difference?

Cheers Tony

p.s looking forward to playing Gregs on Wednesday :clap:

It's basically Met layout with an Aerosmith code. 6 of the modes are identical to AS, Groot MB 'was' the same as toybox MB, and Orb MB has the same rules as elevator MB.

Desperately needs another code update.

On release the only real scoring strategy was Groot all day long.

The latest code (as of a week ago) is start Groot MB, but use it to hit the standups and collect Hadron bombs. Then start Orb MB, ideally get the orb as double shot scoring from the rollovers. play through Orb MB, as you come close to superjackpot, or about to drain hit the action button repeatedly. Awards jackpots, then superjackpot, all on double scoring from hitting as a combo, plus double scoring from the shot multiplier, if you can have Rampage running as well for double scoring so much the better.
Had a game at Phil's recently and scored a SJ of over 450mil, out of an Orb MB score of 530mil, and overall score of 560mil. I then did virtually the same on my second game - didn't bother playing another game on it because it was boring.

They've removed one scoring exploit and replaced it with another.

Nothing else is worth shooting for at all - until they either make the Hadron bombs harder to get, don't allow combos from Hadron bombs, or increase scoring on the modes. We even had a look in the settings to see if there was anything that could be adjusted with regards the bombs - there isn't.

It's possible, but if Stern do it is another matter.

Thanks Keith @newforestpinball. Always been a bit wary of mirror blades with risk of scratching when lifting playfield. Yeah speaker lights work really well with it although you can see the reflection more which makes we think of invisiglass but with 17 pins I really don't want to go there!!

New code not out yet, was on display at Texas Pinball Festival apparently at weekend. The most recent update which I think is after you played, does work better so you don;t get loads of left drains after orb locks.

Cheers Greg
Never had left outlane drains from Orb lock on the 3 different machines I've played. The magnet is meant to catch the ball and drop it straight down onto right sling or right flipper. Have you checked the settings on that magnet, or if it's working?
Or have you deactivated magnets to make MBs easier? ;)

Not a problem with updated code 0.87 but was with original 0.85 code. Did deactivate magnet on 0.85 as number of left drains straight from orb lock release due to magnet was crazy.

Very interesting read Wayne, thanks, would you say Aerosmith is pretty boring too then ?

Pretty much agree with Wayne, Metallica meets Aerosmith. Having said that, I like them both better than GOTG. Maybe a code update will help but find it pretty boring at the mo. The game is only Groot and Orb. Nice looking pin and good music but just missing something for me.

It's basically Met layout with an Aerosmith code. 6 of the modes are identical to AS, Groot MB 'was' the same as toybox MB, and Orb MB has the same rules as elevator MB.

Desperately needs another code update.

On release the only real scoring strategy was Groot all day long.

The latest code (as of a week ago) is start Groot MB, but use it to hit the standups and collect Hadron bombs. Then start Orb MB, ideally get the orb as double shot scoring from the rollovers. play through Orb MB, as you come close to superjackpot, or about to drain hit the action button repeatedly. Awards jackpots, then superjackpot, all on double scoring from hitting as a combo, plus double scoring from the shot multiplier, if you can have Rampage running as well for double scoring so much the better.
Had a game at Phil's recently and scored a SJ of over 450mil, out of an Orb MB score of 530mil, and overall score of 560mil. I then did virtually the same on my second game - didn't bother playing another game on it because it was boring.

They've removed one scoring exploit and replaced it with another.

Nothing else is worth shooting for at all - until they either make the Hadron bombs harder to get, don't allow combos from Hadron bombs, or increase scoring on the modes. We even had a look in the settings to see if there was anything that could be adjusted with regards the bombs - there isn't.

It's possible, but if Stern do it is another matter.

What about the challenge of trying to get to the 2 wizard modes? That's what i try to do and i use the multiballs as a way to assist with the shots required to complete the mode list, seeing as you can stack stuff. Find it hard to believe you were bored after 2 goes!

Very interesting read Wayne, thanks, would you say Aerosmith is pretty boring too then ?
Aerosmith has more balanced scoring between the modes and multiballs, making the modes worth playing and not turning it into shoot the toybox all day.
The reason I found it boring was the blatant port over of rules for the modes from AS. I know AS very well and there was not the feel of discovering anything new on GotG. I wouldn't want both Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars in my collection as they are both so similar - it's the same thing here.

AS, for me, has the balance of both wizard modes being achievable, without being too easy.
I was playing AS more than my Met, which is the one of the reasons why Met went. However since getting GoT, neither WPT or AS has even been turned on.

Thx Wayne, interesting to know from the perspective of a competition player

Thx Wayne, interesting to know from the perspective of a competition player
I play games completely different in competition compared to at home when I can have more time on them.

For example:
Medieval - in comp the main strategy is keep hitting the castle, it's a solid strategy almost guaranteed points. At home it's try and Battle the Kingdom, more fun, you have to shoot all around the table, but it's more risky to get a big score.
GotG on current code the only strategy to score is Orb MB, at home I may well play to complete modes and get to wizard modes, but not viable in comp

Just thought I would bump this post. Still wouldn't mind a GOTG. Missed out on the last one as was between jobs but now gainfully employed again. Possible P/X with a nice Avatar.

Back
Top Bottom