What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German pinball modular twilight zone clock

elrikos

Registered
Hi all

As promised heres a quick review about the above board. It's made by a chap called Ingo Kramer in Germany. Website is http://germanpinballmodular.de.to/final-tz-clock-pcb-english.html and the price is around 90 euros delivered to the uk. it took about 5 days from ordering to delivery and Ingo even emailed me a video of my board being bench tested.

First mpressions were that this board is very different to the original and other reproductions. It's only one board rather than 2 and as such eliminates the first weak spot of the original boards, the interconnect (you'll notice a theme as we go through as all the rest of the shortcomings are addressed)

The board immediately looks "busier" than the originals, having as it does a couple of chips and lots of LEDs. The minute optos aren't on the board and appeared missing. Then I checked the Packaging again and found them there. The optos are a push fit on the board. This leads me on to shortcoming of the original board 2, having to use the special high sensitivity optos. This board uses the normally available optos. Ideal! The chips n the board are comparators and my little understanding of electronics suggests that these amplify the signal from the optos so the special ones aren't needed. These chips are also socket mounted just in case.

Next up Is the illumination. Socket mounted superflux LEDs. They come as standard with warm white LEDs but are easy to change by just pushing in new ones. Ingo also stocks blue and red for a small amount extra. No problem with excess heat killing the board.

The board has its own diagnostic on board. Indicator LEDs show when the optos close so diagnosing whether the problem is a dead opto or something in the game is a doddle. There's also a power indicator. All these indicator LEDs are able to be switched off by moving a jumper.

Overall I'm dead impressed with this product. I needed new clock Board anyway and it seemed a little pointless to buy something which didn't solve any of the well known problems or just put LEDs in to try to mitigate the problems. This board should last for a long time to come. It looks professional and I'd buy another one anytime.

Thanks for the write up !

Sounds good. I have been in the market for a new clock board for a few years, mine has been repaired/hacked couple of times in its life, now flaky again and I really can't be bothered messing with it anymore. And I have given up waiting for the http://www.pinballpal.com/ultimate/ ....which seems to be MIA now
sad-1.png

So this could be the solution.
smile-1.png

No worries. I was waiting for the ultimate clock board too. This one was tricky to find (hence posting the write up as I only found it via a link on rgp to a German pinball site. Then managed to email ingo.post up if you end up with one.

Rich

Sound like it could be a winner.

Postage with no import duty/VAT , now there's a refreshing change.

That's a hardcore pit of kit! I love that people are out there not just fixing machines, but improving on the orignal's faults.

elrikos' date=' post: 1693342 said:
Hi all

As promised heres a quick review about the above board. It's made by a chap called Ingo Kramer in Germany. Website is http://germanpinballmodular.de.to/final-tz-clock-pcb-english.html and the price is around 90 euros delivered to the uk. it took about 5 days from ordering to delivery and Ingo even emailed me a video of my board being bench tested.

First mpressions were that this board is very different to the original and other reproductions. It's only one board rather than 2 and as such eliminates the first weak spot of the original boards, the interconnect (you'll notice a theme as we go through as all the rest of the shortcomings are addressed)

The board immediately looks "busier" than the originals, having as it does a couple of chips and lots of LEDs. The minute optos aren't on the board and appeared missing. Then I checked the Packaging again and found them there. The optos are a push fit on the board. This leads me on to shortcoming of the original board 2, having to use the special high sensitivity optos. This board uses the normally available optos. Ideal! The chips n the board are comparators and my little understanding of electronics suggests that these amplify the signal from the optos so the special ones aren't needed. These chips are also socket mounted just in case.

Next up Is the illumination. Socket mounted superflux LEDs. They come as standard with warm white LEDs but are easy to change by just pushing in new ones. Ingo also stocks blue and red for a small amount extra. No problem with excess heat killing the board.

The board has its own diagnostic on board. Indicator LEDs show when the optos close so diagnosing whether the problem is a dead opto or something in the game is a doddle. There's also a power indicator. All these indicator LEDs are able to be switched off by moving a jumper.

Overall I'm dead impressed with this product. I needed new clock Board anyway and it seemed a little pointless to buy something which didn't solve any of the well known problems or just put LEDs in to try to mitigate the problems. This board should last for a long time to come. It looks professional and I'd buy another one anytime.

Hi Rich,

thank you very much for the praise and i hope, you enjoy your new board.

Unfortunatly, the link was wrong, it is http://german-pinball-modular.npage.de/final-tz-clock-pcb-english.html.

Here is a little instruction from a guy from the US, who also bought my clock board.

Best regards to all

Ingo

Back
Top Bottom