What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Pinball cleaning

Martywolfman

Registered
So yesterday I was trying out some different bulbs in the inserts to see what I fancy putting in there, and whilst it doesn't look particularly dirty at first glance, within a few minutes my hands were filthy.

I got to wondering what the best way would be to clean under there. Obviously you don't really want to be spraying any liquids around, or doing much with a cloth, I wouldn't think - too easy to snag a wire or something.

How do you guys clean under there, just used canned air?

I've owned my pin for a couple of weeks now, and already felty the need to give the playfield a wipe down a couple of times, as I could see it getting dirty in places, especially the area closer to the flippers. I cleaned all the balls at the same time, as that seemed to make sense to me. I don;t know if the dirt under the playfield might contribut to this, or whether that's pretty normal for pinball usage.
How often do you clean your playfields?

I've bought some Novus 1,2 and 3, though I haven't used them yet. do they tend to make the playfield go longer between cleanings?

Cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Dab and twizzle in the insert. Much dirt removed. New cotton bud and continue.
Very satisfying.
Put your favourite album on whilst doing it. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Playfield. Start with lint free cloth and Novus one. Just enjoy the zen of cleaning a machine.
Start removing plastics, wash and replace.
Before you know it you will be absorbed in removing more and replacing, taking pics of where it was, so that you know what went where, cleaning and replacing.
It’s amazing how a machine cleans up when you get going.

Playfield. Start with lint free cloth and Novus one. Just enjoy the zen of cleaning a machine.
Start removing plastics, wash and replace.
Before you know it you will be absorbed in removing more and replacing, taking pics of where it was, so that you know what went where, cleaning and replacing.
It’s amazing how a machine cleans up when you get going.

Yeah...I'm not going to feeling any zen if I'm cleaning anything at all. :D

I know I need to pluck up the courage to dismantle things on my table, but I'm really really bad at doing things with my hands, and I'm very worried that I will break stuff if I do. (I tend to be pretty clumsy). So I really feel more like leaving that kind of thing until I absolutely have to because it needs repairing.

Sorry, i actually meant under the playfield in general, i didn't touch the actual inserts, it was all just from wires etc to get to the bulbs

Oh I see. The same general rule applies. Whatever dust and dirt is under the playfield tends to circulate around and end up on the playfield itself. There’s only one way to remove it and that is cleaning.
Start with a hoover around the bottom of the cabinet. Lightly damped cloth around components. Remove under playfield ramps, wash and replace. Just be methodical.
The most important ingredient for cleaning is the time you put into it.

Yeah...I'm not going to feeling any zen if I'm cleaning anything at all. :D

I know I need to pluck up the courage to dismantle things on my table, but I'm really really bad at doing things with my hands, and I'm very worried that I will break stuff if I do. (I tend to be pretty clumsy). So I really feel more like leaving that kind of thing until I absolutely have to because it needs repairing.

Just make sure you have the time, patience and the right tools. Playfields come apart and go back again easily with the right tools.
Yes, there are fiddly things to do, but they are just grown up Lego really.
The problems come with me when the electrics play up. Nightmare !!!

Yes the pf should be kept waxed, this is the favourite on here

1538745328318.png

I use Gerlutz. But find pledge to work just as well.

Am I correct in saying Novus 2 is like a colour restorer. Use it once, then wax. The cleaning after that is either Novus 1 or just pledge. Apply pledge to cloth not playfield..

Last edited:
Should you use any wax after cleaning?

Lots of people do, I sometimes do - but tbh it's probably serious overkill in home environment.... unless you are playing the hell out of your game 24/7 :D

Just as important, if not more - is keep decent condition balls in it, they do get scratched/pitted over time . Change them every once a while otherwise its basically little sanding machines rolling around your playfield o_O

I use Gerlutz. But find pledge to work just as well.

Am I correct in saying Novus 2 is like a colour restorer. Use it once, then wax. The cleaning after that is either Novus 1 or just pledge. Apply pledge to cloth not playfield..

After almost 20 years of cleaning games I have settled on this.

Playfields

If filthy dirty - foam cleaner to remove the worst dirt.
Novus 2 - this works wonders on modern playfields for removing dirt/ball trails.
Carnuba wax if so desired.

Plastics, targets etc
Novus 2 if really dirty
Novus 1 for just a quick shine up.

This is for modern era games. Anything pre DMD ....exercise great care cleaning as you can very quickly start removing artwork from the playfield :eek:

Thanks for the info.
Ive just cleaned it with Novus 1 so far and it looks pretty good.
A bit dull in the center which i may use some wax on .

I'm playing a fair bit at the moment as I've just got it up and running.
Trying to sort out lighting right now which is problematic.

Being the first pinball :)

Back
Top Bottom