What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geeks

DRD

Registered
I had always thought that a geek was a computer/ tech type punter. But in US English I have just learnt that it has another meaning.

This weekend I saw the brilliant new film noir called Nightmare Alley which features US carnival/ freak show performers in the 1940s.

One or the less savoury acts is the "Geek". This is an apparent madman that lives among snakes and bites the heads off live chickens.

However in reality it is a drunk/ opium addict being exploited by the circus owners.....

"The billed performer's act consisted of a single geek, who stood in center ring to chase live chickens. It ended with the performer biting the chickens' heads off and swallowing them.[1] The geek shows were often used as openers for what are commonly known as freak shows. It was a matter of pride among circus and carnival professionals not to have traveled with a troupe that included geeks. Geeks were often alcoholics or drug addicts, and paid with liquor – especially during Prohibition – or with narcotics."

One or the less savoury acts is the "Geek". This is an apparent madman that lives among snakes and bites the heads off live chickens.

"The billed performer's act consisted of a single geek, who stood in center ring to chase live chickens. It ended with the performer biting the chickens' heads off and swallowing them.[1] The geek shows were often used as openers for what are commonly known as freak shows. It was a matter of pride among circus and carnival professionals not to have traveled with a troupe that included geeks. Geeks were often alcoholics or drug addicts, and paid with liquor – especially during Prohibition – or with narcotics."

You didn't see American Horror Story Freakshow then? Meep was a Geek, sheesh. Beavis and Butthead too... enough to make you go vegetarian.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 11.46.41.png Sideshow.jpg

See, TV can be educational! :)

Back
Top Bottom