What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage conversion

jonathan

Site Supporter
The plan was to fit in:

2 Pins

A Space Invaders

A Dart Board

A Beer Fridge

A Projector and Pull down Screen

A Corner Sofa

I have about 5foot/150cm to fit in a screen. What does that convert into diagonally for the screen size?

gamesroom.png

I've got my projector set up about 14ft away from the screen and I get a 72" picture no problems.

I'm sure you have already got some projectors in mind, if you take a look on the manufactures website it should give you the throw distance for your screen size.

jonathan' date=' post: 1688407 said:
The plan was to fit in:

I have about 5foot/150cm to fit in a screen. What does that convert into diagonally for the screen size?

Lots of reasons why it doesn't look good to me.

I'd consider the following for the projector first (before I consider the pins):

- Get a blackout blind from IKEA (£25) and fit over window. It makes a great screen and also blocks out the light for day time projector viewing!

- Position the pins so that you see them as soon as you walk into the room - with the heads by the walls, not the sides

- Put a curtain up to divide the room into pins and cinema area (for blackout reasons and some sound insulation).

- "Blackout" the cinema area. The area you have is far too small to get a decent contrast ratio without it. This means painting the walls and ceiling matt black. DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING REFLECTIVE THERE

- Don't bother with an expensive projector - The size of room will limit the contrast ratio - just get a short throw projector like an optoma HD600X , 3D-XL and PS3 (cost about £850 and wil do 3D)

- Make sure you have internet, TV and Satelite connectivity

- Most important of all, get a fantastic sound system with a good speaker setup - I use an AV receiver with Kef eggs.

Once you've sorted out a projector room, you'll be gobsmacked pleased with it.

Well that aint gona work. Its a standard size garage. Putting the pins flat against the wall takes up 2/3rds of the width of the room, and putting up a curtain in the middle of the room will look daft. Might just put a big flat screen in there anyway

jonathan' date=' post: 1688423 said:
Well that aint gona work. Its a standard size garage. Putting the pins flat against the wall takes up 2/3rds of the width of the room, and putting up a curtain in the middle of the room will look daft. Might just put a big flat screen in there anyway

Projectors are great things - but only if they are used in the right setup. A good way to confirm that a projector is suitable or not - is to borrow one!

You would soon see for yourself what the problems are (positioning and poor contrast with light coloured walls).

I TiltAlot' date=' post: 1688424 said:
Where's the TSPP going? Fed up with it already Jonathan?
smile-1.png

Nowt, it's staying until woz comes, it needs to be sold to fund the last payment.

Bit of a rework. The bottom left corner has a boiler fitted to the top half of the wall which is a pain, otherwise I could have a pin flat against that wall

3.png

Do it right, toss out the sofa and get 7 pins in there, it'll happen sooner or later. I have a 42" plasma on the end wall too (and a jukebox and a beer fridge, all in a single garage). Take a look at my album.

I can't, its my parents house! I don't have room for pins at my house so they all get stored there. On the plus side, it doesnt cost me a penny!

Do it right, toss out the sofa and get 7 pins in there, it'll happen sooner or later. I have a 42" plasma on the end wall too (and a jukebox and a beer fridge, all in a single garage). Take a look at my album.

Can't wait to check out your games room at the league meet end of this month Phil
biggrin-1.png

You probably need to think about moving house...

This is something I'm considering at the moment. Need a garage or spare room.....thats not also a kitchen
sad-1.png

Whats program is that Jonathan ?? i think it;s been mentioned before, however i forget
biggrin-1.png

Back
Top Bottom