What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage Conversion - advice on lighting etc. please!

Steve Hawley

Registered
Alias
LlamaStick
Happy New Year All!

After 4 years dithering, the integral double garage is finally getting converted into a (proper) room.
Whilst I'd love it to be full of pins, it will be a bit half and half with seating and a decent TV on the wall (3 pins are 'sufficient' evidently - but there's definitely a gap there... ;))
The ceiling has a beam across it, so I was thinking of GU10 spots plus hidden uplighting led strips (don't know what they are actually called).
The spots will probably be smart bulbs for maximum flexibility, the leds could be addressable or not.

Any advice on whether this is a good / bad idea as far as pinball is concerned - or positioning considerations.
Also, any other thoughts for the room (that aren't getting me divorced) 😁

I've attached mockups of the room (using whatever was free images in planner5d) and lighting (although now I've come to draw it, it does look a lot!)

Any help appreciated!

Steve.

Attachments

• Garage Plan Lighting.jpg
    Garage Plan Lighting.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Garage Plan.jpg
    Garage Plan.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240108_102815.jpg
    20240108_102815.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 24
The obvious thing is no lights vertically above the machines.

Next is to have as many light switches as you can get. You might not be able to identify in advance which reflection causes annoyance until it is too late. You can easily buy 6 way light switches that go into a standard double wall plate.

I have a square room that takes 12 pins - 6 either side of walkway down the middle (to allow for glass removal). Even through my 3x led battens are above this walkway, i still like to turn the light off nearest to the pin I am playing.

LED strips attached to the wall behind the back boxes work well - but they may dazzle if you look square on between the backboxes. I put white insulation tape over these exposed sections.

I like floor lights under the games. Not the neatest solution in terms of plugs/ cabling - but an excellent light with no reflections at all:

I used these downlights, so I could have complete flexibility - brightness, colour temp per downlight, controlled via an app. I have setup my preferred settings for pin playing or workshopping (you could have them for watching telly or listening to music/reading). I'm really happy with them. 75% or the time I walk in and switch on... and switch off, so very family friendly also

Back
Top Bottom