What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fruit machine help please - error 48? (now fixed)

cooldan

i like pizza
hi guys,
i know nothing about these, zero, nada.

i bought one - a Return of the Count by Mazooma - and put it in the corner of the room, looking nice, then plugged it in. lights came on, a welcome message, and it gave a message about wanting to be filled. fair enough, so turned my attention to the bunch of keys, saw 3 keyholes, and decided to try to locate all the bits and bobs.

the first keyhole doesn't open anything, it just turns to allow refilling, and show audits. the second keyhole allows you to slide a sort of lock-down-bar so you can open up the top of the machine to see reels etc. the third keyhole lets you open the bottom half of the machine, where the money goes (behind another locked door). i had a look around, took the cash hoppers out, put them back, locked up behind me as i left the building.

the damn machine now keeps on making a loud shrill screaming noise, and telling me 'alarm 48, on/off' and 'door unlocked'. i have to presume it means the bottom half of the machine, right? there's a door-closed switch that seems functional, and behind the cash hopper door there is another switch that i don't know what it does.

a bit of googling told me a couple of things - it might be just from lots of turning on and off, and i may just need to wait for it to sort itself out. but man, it screams really loud and sounds like someone being murdered! someone else suggested it might be a battery issue, and someone else said a power supply may be responsible.

anyone here who knows fruit machines and is willing to help?
thankyou

Yes just leave it should clear itself, the more times you switch it off the longer you will have to wait. Its an anti tamper thing to stop people trying to scam the machine by switching it on and off.

What, I have to listen to it screaming like a banshee for ages and ages?

The manual has this -
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170323_947ff132681e72e7b3894d441c91245d.jpg

But it's not helping me.

Roughly how long should I let it shout for before I decide there is a problem?

If 30 mins doesn't do it, pull out the plug to the power supply and reconnect, and also where the loom from the power supply connects to the main board.
Cleaning the pins often helps...

the alarms on fruits override the set volume and can be VERY annoying. the Barcrest CHECK IT OUT is a right pain in the backside. this code 48 on Scorpion 4 and 5 machines is a very common issue esp with ex site machines that may have been sat unplayed for some time and also they are getting to the age where the cpu rechargeable battery may be near the end of its life. set that DIL switch 14 to on then the next turn on should still give that alarm code but after 10 minutes it SHOULD clear and game will reset into attract. next switch on should not give error code. apart from battery corrosion on the cpu , the main Achilles heal of scorp 4 and 5 are the cheap power supplies which fail after 3/4 years. if machines try to boot up but just make a clicking noise that is the cause. even when fruits are converted to new games for a new lease of life they are still not expected to be on site for more than 3 years so are designed with built in obsolescence in mind. compared to maygay and jpm games though , bell fruit are built like tanks!

You may not have sorted the problem, but at least the neighbours will be relieved ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My games were all 80's & 90's tech, so me offering advice on a Scorpion4 game is like comparing WPC to Spike! (i hated Bell Fruit Machines too).

Still...

Does the motherboard have a battery & is it showing signs of corrosion, or needing replacing? EDIT - Steve's covered that...
Check the dip settings are as per the manual.
does it do this with the door open?
Can you find a new/spare PSU to test if it's that?

Have you tried asking for help over here? http://www.classicreels.co.uk/

compared to maygay and jpm games though , bell fruit are built like tanks!

My old JPM big Bucks was built on Impact Tech and was running smooth as silk til last year when i sold it, and i'd fly-wired the new battery off the CPU. Now in Mr P's i think.

Big Bucks was the nearest thing to Iron Man in the fruit machine world. Incredibly unpredictable, deceptively simple, great strategic opportunities & good replay value.

this is now working perfectly (a dodgy switch on one of the doors needed a tweak) and is great fun.

does anyone know some good websites with rules and tips per machine, on how to play?
i have the manual but it's not very user-friendly

this is now working perfectly (a dodgy switch on one of the doors needed a tweak) and is great fun.

does anyone know some good websites with rules and tips per machine, on how to play?
i have the manual but it's not very user-friendly

Rules and tips ???? WTF ...it's a fruit machine :cuckoo:You may as well toss a coin all night. Better odds too

compared to maygay and jpm games though , bell fruit are built like tanks!

When a colleague returned from a year or so working for Associated Leisure, he brought with him a hatred for maygay machines. Then we started acquiring them, and I developed one too. Lamp holders that couldn't withstand the heat build-up inside the machine, reel strips that seemed to stretch and hang off the drums, advance replacement boards supplied with dead batteries, etc. But the worst was their first game built with a 'jackpot key', which sets the stake and jackpot. This game as built didn't actually use it, but it was fitted for future use, i.e. when updating or fitting a conversion kit. THEN it turned out that some of the wiring linking the main board to the socket was (and presumably always had been) open circuit.

Last edited:
The only rule i know is to force it by not collecting the bonuses and the game will keep on giving you a bigger bonus, because the game has to give out a certain percentage ,if that makes any sense!

You've still lost me, Carl. What's a bonus on a fruity? How do you not collect anything? You mean keep it all in the 'bank' and just keep feeding it?

Sorry Dan I will try to explain better what I am trying to say (crap at this:oops: )
When you have a cash builder (or nudge ) let's say you have won 20p and the game says you can gamble for 30p or 10p ,do not take the gamble .keep on doing this ,after x amount of goes the cash builder should move up a level ,let's say it starts with 30p this time and so on.
I do want a fruity (for about £50 ) so I can try it out myself :)
I was told it does work but I DO NOT advise this in the real world ,as it would cost a lot of money !!

These days I expect the emptying tricks are very rare and closely guarded secrets.

However, the mid 90's, at least for me, was a brilliant time for learning the tricks and then capitalising on them. Machines had genuine cheats built in, a bit like Jackbot's pressing add-a-ball, but this was literally free cash for knowledge. Monte Carlo or Bust was a good example of a game that could be shafted royally by Carl's tactics & basically emptied. The Hi/Lo bit was graphical and sometimes the cards showed marks on the back, which meant you could predict the number underneath - they were quite obscure and once learnt could be very handy. Your average tourist & casual 'few quid in' players had no idea...

I appreciate this is not a fruit machine forum, but I spent many happy hours around pins, video games and fruities - they were the DNA of good arcade. Pinball definitely has the best longevity of these 3, which is why I don't really use Fruit or Vid forums these days.

Back
Top Bottom