What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those people who still can't get an NES Classic!

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
I've been wanting the NES Classic (Mini) since I first heard about it but due to Nintendo's crap manufacturing process they're always out of stock everywhere even now, 3 months after it's release. After yet another failed trawl through my local game shops I finally decided to sack it off and get a Raspberry Pi.....best decision ever :D

For those of you who are still after the NES I can't recommend enough getting a RPi with a bluetooth controller and getting RetroPie installed. I'm now able to play games from the following systems on my big TV in my lounge and these are just what I've configured and downloaded ROMs for so far, there's loads of others if I want them:
  • Super Nintendo
  • Megadrive
  • NES
  • Master System
  • PC Engine
  • Neo Geo
  • Amiga
  • Spectrum
It's not quite plug and play but there's loads of info online about how to get it setup and it's really easy even for people who don't have a huge amount of computer knowledge. Links below are to the things I bought to get this setup plus what I already had around the house which you may also need to buy if you don't have them:

Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-...qid=1488038275&sr=1-4&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

Bluetooth SNES controller
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Controll...qid=1488038314&sr=1-6-catcorr&keywords=8bitdo

You'll also need:
  • HDMI cable
  • USB keyboard (for initial setup, after that the controller can be used for everything)
So for £25 more than the cost of the NES Classic I've got something that can play a lot more games across numerous systems (I think RetroPie currently supports 50 different ones):

https://retropie.org.uk/

Can't believe I didn't just buy this earlier tbh, it's f*cking awesome :thumbs:

I did the same when I couldn't get one. Managed to bag one the other week from smyths, worth checking every now and again.

Do they do a Jamma adapter

Don't know about that dude, someone somewhere must have tried knocking something up though.

some of mame

True Tony, I'm guessing it won't do the more modern 3d stuff but as long as it can handle up to mid 90's then I'm happy (SF Alpha 2 type stuff). Tbh I'm keeping mine consoles and computers for a bit :thumbs:

Also Google reys 128gb

Too many games for me dude :eek: I like the Hyperspin style front end but I don't need all those games. For the systems on mine so far I downloaded the full ROM set and then spent some time cherry picking what I wanted on the Pi so I've just got stuff I know I like or am interested in having a go on :D Played a bit of Neo Turf Masters earlier, got Link to the Past on the go and also a bit of Super Castlevania 4 :clap:

Is it easy for a compooter mong like me to figure out.

Yes mate, it's piece of p*ss. Give me a ring if you get stuck and I can talk you through it :thumbs: I've got mine on my network so I can FTP ROMs to it, saves messing about with flash drives :) Good thing about the Pi 3 is it's got built in Wifi and Bluetooth so no need for any extra dongles.

If anyone is after some 128GB MicroSD cards for their Reys image then I found that Wish are kicking them out for the bargain price of £5.

Link

If anyone is after some 128GB MicroSD cards for their Reys image then I found that Wish are kicking them out for the bargain price of £5.

Link

Are they not fakes? I'll get one see how it fairs.

I brought this on eBay last week comes with everything plus is all preloaded with over 2000 mame games loads of Snes nes master system Atari neo geo sega etc also has kodi which is like Netflix but newer movies live events free streaming etc

Attachments

• IMG_7188.PNG
    IMG_7188.PNG
    69.1 KB · Views: 36
Just to confirm that the MicroSD's been kicked out by Wish are pretty much definitely fakes.

The card itself is labelled up as SanDisk but the packaging is plain. They're also mean to be Class 10 which means they should write at around 10mb/s but i'm not getting anything above 5mb/s.

Not really fussed because I thought they were worth taking a punt on but didn't cost a lot. Will get a proper Class 10 just to compare performance.

Cheapest i've seen 128GB MicroSD cards is around the £25 mark. I'll grab one from a more reputable company if only to compare performance.

That piCade is lovely; alas right now all money is tied up fixing up the Pinball.

MAME, SNES, ZX Spectrum, Mega Drive etc.
Simple menu system to select games. Powered by a Raspberry Pi running Retropie.

Back
Top Bottom