What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flippin' Frenzy

Great afternoon. Big thanks to David and his wife for superbly generous hosting, and Wayne for organising the comp. I thought the format worked really well and would look forward to playing it again

Also like to thank David for his very generous hospitality. And Wayne for doing the comp, which was great fun. Hardly any waiting around - it certainly was a flippin frenzy:)

Great selection of games - really liked Paragon and Centaur.

Yes very many thanks to David and wife for hosting an excellent day of pinball. As Paul says format worked surprisingly well despite some initial reservations and confusion. Many thanks again. Greg

Yeah, I've had an awesome day, thanks to David and Eileen for hosting and to Wayne for running the comp.

The format worked really well, and I can't wait to play the same format in a few weeks at flip out.

David's games are in amazing condition, I wish mine were half as good as that lot!

Below are the results, along with some stats :)

I'd like to thank everyone for travelling from far afield for what was basically an experimental format, and especially @DRD and Aileen for hosting.

Everyone picked up the rules very quickly and it was pretty much self-policing (barring a couple of tilt through rulings).

FF results.PNG

For those that are interested, I predict it will come out with a TGP of 94% for WPPR pts (23.5 games played). Which is huge for under 4hrs actual playing, on 7 machines.

We will run this again next year.

Biased as I am, I think this format worked really well for a home based event:
  • Losing one individual head to head game did not ruin your day, so folk weren't getting too competitive
  • The minimum matches played was 17, against a minimum of 8 different opponents
  • The queue was only ever 4 people, so the wait between games was only about 5 minutes
  • The queue was actually a mini social gathering and a chance for a cuppa
  • We had a break at half time to have a cuppa, attend to one downed machine and reorder the matches so those with fewest completed games were started off first
  • No-one was stood about waiting for lengthy 4 player games to end
  • There was no bottlenecking, waiting for a specific machine to come free
Given the modest numbers who attended (17) we actually left it at 4 ball, using 7 out of 11 machines. We could add plenty of extra capacity by playing 3 ball or using more machines.

I had a whale of a time yesterday, loved everything about it and give the format, venue, games and experience a straight 10/10!

Only downside was getting home drunk after finishing on a bloody Aperol Spritz. Who's stupid idea was that?

Well done all and thanks David, Eileen and Wayne!

On the 9-30 pm Saturday train from Newark to London, even the most anti-alcohol folk on earth would hit the bottle

Can I also add my thanks to David and Eileen for hosting? It was a such a pleasant atmosphere due to their efforts and it went very well thanks to Wayne's organisation. I hope this format becomes common as it is great to play so many competitive matches even if you play badly which I mainly did. I'll be back next year hopefully and will be trying again to get Belle to drop the ball...

I do believe that Wayne will be helping Thomas Evrenos run the 24 Hour Player Flip Tournament at Flip Out London on Saturday 29th September using this method. Should be a lot of fun. Sign up here - http://flipoutlondon.pinballnews.com/tournaments.html

Also thanks to Vin and Nick for the drinks. It's my round next.

Many thanks to DRD and Eileen, and also to Wayne for organising. Great atmosphere, really enjoyed it. Well done to Nick for winning despite not practicing.

Back
Top Bottom