What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flippin' Frenzy

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Alias
WWJ
A new format of pinball competition to be hosted by David Dodds (@DRD ) in Newark on Saturday 8th September.

Players will be playing almost non stop throughout the qualifying period.

The rules are thus:

First round
Players will be randomly allocated either as
Player 1,
Player 2, or
Queue.

Players play their head to head match on the machine allocated.

After the match player 1 becomes Player 2
Player 2 joins the back of the queue
Player at front of queue becomes Player 1 on next available machine

At the end of the 4hr qualifying period. The 4 players with the most wins (ties decided by percentage wins) will play a ladder style final to determine the winner.

Entry will be £10 with all profits going to http://ovarian.org.uk/

Would have loved to support @DRD 's first event but unfortunately I will be at the European Pinball Championships. :-(

For those who have not been to my place, I have hosted the Midlands League a few times and have a dozen games.

We have tried to design this to address some of the conflicting demands of these events:
  • There will never be any bottle-necking (folk stood about waiting to play a designated game, when other machines are standing unused)
  • No-one gets knocked out (until the final 4 are determined) so everyone attending will get plenty of competitive pinball against a wide range of players
  • All matches are 2 player head-to-head, so it represents a real change from the regular League events
  • No four player games, where three folk are basically stood about watching at any point in time
  • Given the high number of matches that will get played, the event should yield a decent WPPR points tally
Lunch will be laid on and trophies will be awarded to the top finishers

IMG_20180531_1609033.jpgIMG_20180316_1809557.jpgIMG_20180316_1810132.jpgIMG_20180316_1810360.jpg

People attending the Flippin' Frenzy can also watch the 2018 Tour of Britain Cycling Race !!!, as it passes within 5 minutes walk of my house.

The riders include the top 2 road cyclists in the World - 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas, and the 2018 Giro d'Italia winner Chris Froome.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-seven/

It is expected in my village at 1-15pm, with road closures planned to occur 15 minutes either side of this. The whole race should whizz by in a matter of minutes.

Because of this race:
  • The house will now be open from 11am onwards, giving an extended time for folk to arrive, get a decent practice in and have a bite to eat
  • A group of us will walk to the bike race just before 1pm
  • The tournament will start at 2pm as originally advertised

People attending the Flippin' Frenzy can also watch the 2018 Tour of Britain Cycling Race !!!, as it passes within 5 minutes walk of my house.

The riders include the top 2 road cyclists in the World - 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas, and the 2018 Giro d'Italia winner Chris Froome.

It is expected in my village at 1-15pm, with road closures planned to occur 15 minutes either side of this. The whole race should whizz by in a matter of minutes.

Because of this race:
  • The house will now be open from 11am onwards, giving an extended time for folk to arrive, get a decent practice in and have a bite to eat
  • A group of us will walk to the bike race just before 1pm
  • The tournament will start at 2pm as originally advertised
Will you supply flags to wave or should we bring our own dear?

The French have a much richer history than we do when it comes to attending and celebrating cycle races.

Cycle races in my village are a new thing. I think that it is the custom in France to throw urine at the overseas cyclists, I am afraid you must bring your own though.

The French have a much richer history than we do when it comes to attending and celebrating cycle races.

Cycle races in my village are a new thing. I think that it is the custom in France to throw urine at the overseas cyclists, I am afraid you must bring your own though.

Haha! I'll make sure to drink plenty!

Vin

This race has been near me before. They do a "rolling road closure" to minimise disruption. Nottinghamshire is flat so the cyclists will be bunched together and will just pass in a big group, probably in a matter of seconds. The race goes along the main road in my village so you will not be able to drive to my house when the roads are briefly closed. In a worst case scenario, where you hit the road closure, you could just park up in the village and walk to my house anyway.

I live a mile away from the junction of the A1 dual carriageway (Newark to Doncaster) and A57 (main road between Sheffield to Lincoln). Most people that drive to my village will use either of these. Some folk may travel on the M1 motorway (Nottingham to Sheffield) or the A46 dual carriageway (Leicester to Lincoln). I think that only the A57 will be affected and the closure will have to be very brief given that it leads onto the A1.

The map of the route is here …..

The expected road closure timings are here ….

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stage-seven-timetable/

The race is expected to hit my village at 1-15pm. They give a range of arrival times of 15 minutes either side of this ie between 13.00 and 13.30 depending on how fast they go. They close the roads about 15 minutes before the race arrives and they reopen very shortly after it has passed

This is why I am opening up from 11am rather than the normal 12-00 so that if folk are concerned, they can just arrive early and then take the time off to view the race

Does that mean we can paint messages on the road, or stand on the side shouting abuse or throwing urine at those cyclists we don't like?

Can I try and get a quick head count as to who is coming this Saturday?

Need to ensure that there is enough food!

I'm at least 90% certain to be there. Could do with someone PMing me the address though please Got the address now, thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom