What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flippers, they aint flippin' flippin.

stumblor

Site Supporter
Alias
Davey Price
Another day, another pinball debug issue 🤮

Flippers not flipping. Swapped out with another A-15472 Fliptronic board and is everything is peachy so it's something on the board itself.

Things i've tried:

* Checked fuses (ok)
* Swapped bridge rectifier (no change)
* Tested flipper switches in test mode (fine)
* Tested flipper coils in test mode (not fine). On the initial power up this morning they worked for a bit in test mode and then stopped.
* Tested power on the coils (fine - 70v)

Any advise what to check next? ICs and transistors I guess? Fantastic.

--

Bit of background - Creech initially had an issue with its left flipper opto boards, so I swapped with one of the Popeye ones temporarily (the plastic arm kind) while some new optos came in. When they did, i fixed the opto board and refitted it. Immediately after both flipper coils didn't work. Tried the popeye opto board and still no good. Swapped the Fliptronic board with popeye and everything okay again. Surely can't be a coincidence?

Update - shorting the transistor at Q12 fires the flippers, so I guess it's a transistor issue? Yet again? :rolleyes:

But, like, all of them? Doesn't seem likely.

Yep, they do. It's not the switches. Changing the A-15472 board for a different one fixes the issue.

Yes all you are doing by grounding the transistor is just energising the coil could be a transistor but if both don’t work doubtful schematic and logic probe I think

Think I'll logic probe the chips in a working machine in solenoid test mode, and then compare 👍

Thanks Phil, yeah I've done that a few times but no luck I'm afraid.

Weirdly, when I went to check it again earlier this morning after a long power off it suddenly started working again. Played a few games, all fine. Obviously not ideal as I haven't fixed anything!! But low and behold, later in the day back to where we were.

Checking U2 and U5, the good readings from Creech I get are

Power Lower Right ==> U2 Pin 2 & U5 Pin 17
Hold Lower Right ==> U2 Pin 19 & U5 Pin - -
Power Lower Left ==> U2 Pin 16 & U5 Pin 4
Hold Lower Left ==> U2 Pin 5 & U5 Pin - -

Currently getting zip on these pins when testing the dodgy board in situ

Looking at U5, in game and when a flipper button is pressed

(Working)
Lower Left - U5 Pins 11, 15, 4
Lower Right - U5 Pins 2, 6, 17

(Not working)
Lower Left - U5 Pins 11, 15 - NOT 4