What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper Issue

paul h

Site Supporter
Hi. Got a bit of a flipper problem on WCS94 - any advice appreciated.

Right flipper has started to slightly judder when it gets to its full extension. It is still capable of hitting the ramps from a ball under control, but is a bit weak when a ball comes down fast. This problem started suddenly, rather than being a gradual deterioration.

If I do a switch test, the switches (including EOS) seem to be activated correctly.

The flipper stays up with the button pressed, but can be manually pushed another 13mm towards the backbox (the left flipper only moves 5mm). Nothing seems to be especially loose under the playfield and the flipper itself is not catching on the playfield.

Just wondering if there is anything obvious for me to look at?

Cheers …. Paul

Flipper 'juddering' means the coil is not 'holding' , could be a problem with the hold winding.

If you look at the coil you will see a very thin wire going to one of the solder lugs , this is the hold winding - check this to make sure it is firmly attached. Over time they can detach with vibration. It is very thin so look carefully, try pulling on it or prying it up slightly to check the connection is solid.

Thanks. One lug has got a thin wire, one has got a thick wire and the third has got both a thin and a thick wire. Have tried gently pulling each of them with tweezers - all seem solid.

Just to make sure you have connectivity between wire and lug ,use a Stanley blade and scratch off a bit of red on the coil wire's and then use your meter set to continuity test (pleep or buzz sound ) and check , had it a few time where the coil wire has broken in the past and someone just solder it back on with out prepping the wire first

Any tech reports when switching machine on?

Nothing at all. No messages, no credit dot. Switch tests are similar for both flippers and seem normal to my inexperienced eye.

Could be a weak option switch in the cabinet. Easy to check with a meter or you can swap the sides over and see if the problem follows the opto pcb.

Thanks for the suggestions. Swapped the optos over and the problem remained on the right hand side.

Not sure if I have described the problem properly by using the word "juddering". Looking at it more closely, it seems that the activated flipper is perhaps extending well past its hold position and then quickly returning, resulting in the eye seeing a blur of movement. The "good" flipper also does this (I guess they all do), but to a much smaller degree. The main problem is that the flipper doesn't have the strength to deal with a fast ball - it seems to be either slowed or slightly pushed backwards on impact.

Sounds like the coil is fine but a mechanical issue, probably needs a rebuild kit - others can confirm.

Hold the plunger with one hand under the playfield and flex the flipper with the other. Look for excess mechanical play. If the plunger link pivot is excessively sloppy it could be worn or missing its inner bearing.

Hold the plunger with one hand under the playfield and flex the flipper with the other. Look for excess mechanical play. If the plunger link pivot is excessively sloppy it could be worn or missing its inner bearing.

Thanks - that looks like the problem. The bad flipper definitely has much more play around the link between the plunger and the next part, so I'll order a flipper kit and have a go at rebuilding it.

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom