What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FishTales Switches Not Registering...

DanLewell

Registered
Anyone who played on the fishtales at my league meet a few weeks ago will have noticed it started playing up towards the end of the day.

It was autolaunching the ball as soon as it was in the shooter lane. It didnt stop the game from playing ok, just meant multiplayer wasnt really possible as you didnt have time to switch over before the ball got launched.

We had a look on the day but couldn't work it out quickly. Nick (@mufcmufc) pointed me in the right direction by looking at which switches werent working.

Its been at the office for a couple of weeks now and I thought I should get round to fixing it before Pinfest.

So Print off the switch matrix and go through testing every switch to make sure the correct one registers when it is pressed.

After crossing off all the working ones,there were only two not working Ball shooter (56) and Right outlane(66)

20180727_150655.jpg

So whilst the thought on the day was that it could be a dodgy diode, we arent geting any wierd phantom switches so I thought it more likely that its something to do with the White Blue wire for row 6.

Check for continuity between Lie(L) switch (46) and the ball shooter(56). No Continuity. But both Wires at switch 46 looked ok. :hmm: Also there was only 1 wire attached at switch 56 but two at switch 66.

I had continuity between 56 and 66. So the problem is definitely downstream of these two switches.

Now I should have taken the hint that there were two wires on switch 66 and only one on switch 56 to learn that this means they arent wired in order. (Why arent they wired in order? that would make so much more sense and make it easier to troubleshoot, but I guess it would mean more wire...) Had I taken the hint I would have just checked all switches on that row and found the problem. BUT I did it the hard way and traced the wire painstakingly all the way from Switch 66 back down the playfield (right past switch 44?!?) and back up the playfield again. eventually I found this at the trough 1 switch (16):

20180727_142258.jpg
That'll be the problem then.

Soldered it back on and we're all good. All switches now working, no Credit dot and no more autolaunching.

All good for Pinfest!!!:clap:

Back
Top Bottom