What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish Tales not booting

Alan Syson

Site Supporter
Trying to get machines sorted for NERG this weekend, went to fire up FT, first time for a few months, got a "boing" but nowt else. No lights, GI, display. Zilch.

Looking at the CPU LED's they're all on solid, no blinks, flashes, just solid.

Removed ribbon cables & switch connectors & it's exactly the same.

Tried Googling but can"t see anything relating to my problem, just the normal error codes.

All advice welcome,

Cheers,

Alan.

Gave ‘em all a prod Ive. Switched my attention to MM flipper rebuild & rerubber as it’s doing NERG & Pinfest.

Have you got anything with a matching MPU board?

Try disconnecting all ribbons and adding one by one until you see where the board issue is. Assuming MPU boots without other connections?

Only getting 3.8v at the 5v test point & LED2 is out on the driver board.
Anyone know what bits need replacing?
Cheers,
Alan.

I think pinball heaven sell a plug and play adapter that goes into the power socket on the mpu board. I think It replaces the overloaded or intermittent 5v by using a higher supply through a regulated buck converter to give you a stable 5v.

I have had a look but can't find it on the website using the phone.

Ha, found it straight after posting...

https://www.pinball.co.uk/product/pcbs/5v-reset-fix-pcb/

Won’t help. The 5v is needed on other boards to. That will fix the cpu but nothing else.

If you have that low a voltage then you have a problem on the 5v. It might be that the bridge rectifier has partially failed. That would mean only half wave rectifying which is no good for voltage regulator. Or capacitors have failed so you’ve got excess ac. Either rebuild the 5v power supply ( 3 components ) or send the board to a repairer.

Andy. You have these in stock?

Replace BR2 C5 and the lm323k if you’re taking the shotgun approach

If so could you bang them in the post? There’s bound to be someone good with a soldering iron at NERG. Trying to get sorted for Friday. You know you’ll get paid.

Cheers,

Alan.

Andy. You have these in stock?

If so could you bang them in the post? There’s bound to be someone good with a soldering iron at NERG. Trying to get sorted for Friday. You know you’ll get paid.

Cheers,

Alan.

Nobody good but I believe I'm doing it now!

Shotgunned,bridge,cap,regulator.All existing components showed signs of resolder are rework as there was a shot ton of flux corroding away

Back
Top Bottom