What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fancy living here?

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
This property is currently getting a lot of attention on our local Facebook page

A bargain at £1300 a month for a “studio” flat. There are eight of them shoved into one house.

Where do you start? Lots of debate about how on earth this could pass fire regulations?

It’s one of those photos that keeps on giving. The hob is a camping stove currently on a shelf.

Guessing whoever rents it is going to see little action in that bed. I’m not even convinced there is a mattress on the bed at the moment. Climbing in there would he like a bunk in a submarine. 😱

On the plus side I’m convinced you probably could squeeze a pin in there if you really tried.

Attachments

• FDE3CD63-BE3A-4762-B600-09809EBEA459.jpeg
    FDE3CD63-BE3A-4762-B600-09809EBEA459.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 133
This property is currently getting a lot of attention on our local Facebook page

A bargain at £1300 a month for a “studio” flat. There are eight of them shoved into one house.

Where do you start? Lots of debate about how on earth this could pass fire regulations?

It’s one of those photos that keeps on giving. The hob is a camping stove currently on a shelf.

Guessing whoever rents it is going to see little action in that bed. I’m not even convinced there is a mattress on the bed at the moment. Climbing in there would he like a bunk in a submarine. 😱

On the plus side I’m convinced you probably could squeeze a pin in there if you really tried.
A glazed door to your bedroom; that is also your front door. Nice.

We once lived in a studio flat for 2 years where several of the other flats had that set up. We picked one with the bed on the floor but the oven door could only half open as it hit the wall opposite 😆

Jon and I lived in a studio flat for five months where the 'kitchenette' was a portable stove on a wooden shelf, and the only furniture was a bed, a small desk... and five kitchen chairs.

There was a separate toilet and shower but, needless to say, there wasn't a bath.

The front door opened directly onto the corridor containing the portable stove and the bathroom door.

We ate a lot of pasta. We also got married eventually because, if two people can share a single room full of chairs for five months, they obviously get on pretty well.

Scariest place I’ve ever looked at was just down the road from this one.

There was an industrial sized server running in the basement and then virtually no furniture anywhere in the house.

However, one room had been done out like a child’s bedroom. Rocking horse, doll’s house etc with a single bed in the centre of the room with lots of soft toys on it.

And that was it. No other beds in the entire house. 😱 maybe 4 or 5 other bedrooms with virtually nothing in them.

The estate agent didn’t see anything wrong with the arrangement but it utterly gave me the creeps.

Scariest place I’ve ever looked at was just down the road from this one.

There was an industrial sized server running in the basement and then virtually no furniture anywhere in the house.

However, one room had been done out like a child’s bedroom. Rocking horse, doll’s house etc with a single bed in the centre of the room with lots of soft toys on it.

And that was it. No other beds in the entire house. 😱 maybe 4 or 5 other bedrooms with virtually nothing in them.

The estate agent didn’t see anything wrong with the arrangement but it utterly gave me the creeps.
You do NOT want to get me onto 'strange properties I have ever looked at in London' or we will be here for a LONG time... :D

Highlights:
  • The recently-renovated house with the downstairs toilet in a coal bunker, which was so small that I couldn't close the door while heavily pregnant
  • The house with a very long, thin bathroom with his/hers sinks and showers, which had a wooden shed door leading directly out onto the garden. I still remember the estate agent dragging the owner's severely obese brown labrador by the collar through the entire length of the bathroom to put him outside! The same house had the 'master bedroom' reached via a ladder in a closet.
  • The house with a TV screen (I think) embedded in the tiles of the downstairs bathroom. This was the same bathroom where the tap fell apart when I touched it. The same house, which was four storeys high, had only one toilet on the bottom three floors. This was in a outdoor brick shed across the patio from the sunroom. Realising the absurdity of the situation, the owners had accessorised the toilet with a Thomas Crapper vintage pull-chain lavatory, a book stand, and decorative tiles...
  • The top-floor flat with a huge wooden beam stretching across the whole living room, and no full-height ceilings. In the centre of the hall was a ladder leading onto the roof garden. We really liked that flat.
  • The house where the estate agent warned me not to stand on the outside decking as I was heavily pregnant and it might collapse under me. The entire upper floor had the fireplaces boarded up and it was full of portable heaters. A very tidy man sat typing on a computer in the front room. I tried opening the kitchen drawers and my hands came away black with grease. Apparently, the people who renovated that house had to get Rentokil in as the builders got sick of killing rats with spades. They later found out they'd been coming up the toilets because the sewage hadn't been routed correctly.
We lived for seven years in a house where the laundry room/office was reached via a wobbly loft ladder suspended directly over a spiral staircase. If I'd fallen off the ladder, there would have been a two-storey drop to the ground floor. Oddly enough, we moved from that house when we had Flipper Beast because we couldn't get a cot into the main bedroom. The door to the other bedroom wouldn't close with a bed in there.

The saddest viewing was this absolutely massive house out near Clockhouse. When we viewed it, the hallway - which was full of antimacassars - had the curtains drawn. Behind it, an elderly man was sat smoking in his conservatory. All the rooms were joined together randomly with doors, like a maze, and the entire house had a couple of random items in each room. There was the 'vintage radio equipment' room. The 'desk and a cupboard' room. The 'vintage hi-fi' room. Only one room, a bedroom, seemed to be occupied. I guess someone had died, leaving the old man rattling around there alone.

Lots of the full houses that come on around here are from death estates. Lots that have had rooms or entire floors unused for years.

It’s strange what we all get used to and then no longer notice. One of my friends used to be married to a professional domamatrix who worked from home. When trying to sell their dock lands apartment the estate agent had to point out to them that not everyone would want dungeon equipment hanging from the ceiling. To them it was just normal 😂

Lots of the full houses that come on around here are from death estates. Lots that have had rooms or entire floors unused for years.

It’s strange what we all get used to and then no longer notice. One of my friends used to be married to a professional domamatrix who worked from home. When trying to sell their dock lands apartment the estate agent had to point out to them that not everyone would want dungeon equipment hanging from the ceiling. To them it was just normal 😂
Our current house was a divorce. We knew it was a divorce because, when we walked into the front room, there was a desk with big lever arch files labelled 'Divorce paperwork'. I thought "not amicable, then?" :cool:

It had a nice partial restoration from an owner in the 1980s, but divorce guy hadn't repaired anything incase his wife got a financial benefit on sale. So, he'd shoved plastic water bottles to the repair the loo and such-like. He was also absolutely freaking filthy. My mum spent three days trying to clean the fridge/freezer, which was caked in green mould on the inside on every surface. Then, we got a professional deep cleaning team in. Six people, took them all day to clean the house. We were quoted £100 for the clean. It cost £600!! :oops: I'm amazed he and his son didn't get severely sick. The craziest thing was that they had a load of Dulwich College year photos hung in the hall when we viewed, which won't mean much to non-Londoners on here. But, basically, there was a guy living with a secondary school age kid attending one of the top private schools in the country. And their fridge was literally covered in green mould. We had to throw the fridge out eventually - the seals were broken, and we could never get it quite clean :eek:

When trying to sell their dock lands apartment the estate agent had to point out to them that not everyone would want dungeon equipment hanging from the ceiling.

If I'd found it necessary to participate in Zoom discussions, after hearing snippy talk about people's 'backgrounds', I'd have used a set-up as above. Not that I'd have had such stuff handy.

We also got married eventually because, if two people can share a single room full of chairs for five months, they obviously get on pretty well.

Maybe that ought to be a relationship stage, for all I know there might already be a telly show with such a premise.

Wow! 😯 and I thought our village was pricey (?)!…. Here’s the cheapest 1 bedroom rental property available currently in our village. (Although it has a few benefits, you do need to be over 60🤣)……. It’s also in a block of 8 i think…….
IMG_7784.jpeg

I think my garage is bigger then that flat lol.

Anyone who would think about living there needs to move more north!

Yeah right I could probably get a 3 bed house for what I pay for one up jack road.

This I guess is in planet London and as it has been mentioned they'll get more than a few in there to bring the rent down.

Back
Top Bottom