What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elise Christie - What is the Story ?

DRD

Registered
I am hugely impressed by our winter Olympians. To win medals on skis and sleds when we do not even have meaningful snow or proper skiing mountains or bobsleigh runs in this country represent phenomenal achievements.

But this Elise Christie thing is just beyond me. I know virtually zero about her sport of short track speed skating.

But it seems that in her last six events spread over the last 2 Olympics she has been disqualified five times. So that makes her a prolific cheat. She crashed out on the sixth. Worse than this prolific cheating, in behaving like this she has endangered and taken out numerous other competitors, all of whom have dedicated their lives to this sport.

TELEMMGLPICT000154956421_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqi7fXqjy78frWG33CIVt5_rwcMrg96jJkgJWupPwD3VA.jpeg

Yet the BBC, the papers, the media is full of sympathy for this woman. She gets feted like a proper national hero.

I am personally sick of the sight of her. Am I missing something ?

Eddie just risked his own neck, this woman is like a suicide bomber/ 10 pin bowling ball

She was disqualified for crashing/falling hardly cheating (if looked at individually) but I guess if studied you could maybe say she was cheating/trying to knock others out although others would say she was just trying too hard.

Dont know enough about the sport to really comment but just my 2p worth.

She was also disqualified once for not crossing the finish line promptly.

Anyway curling is where its at on ice

She's also Triple World Champion, but has been unlucky when it comes to the Olympics.

When it comes to speed skating there are disqualifications in a high percentage of races, with people being advanced to the next round if the judges (who have views no-one else can see and also do not explain their reasoning) feel they were impeded. In such a fast and close contact sport, it's inevitable their will be incidents like this.
Calling her a cheat is going a bit far though!

The disqualification regarding crossing the line was ridiculous. Her inner skate crossed inside the track, mms before the finish line. Even though her 'trailing' leg still crossed the line before anyone else, on the correct side of the track limits, she was deemed to have gained an advantage and disqualified. Even though the finish line is on a straight so no advantage was had.

Some of the other disqualifications have also been exceptionally harsh (not todays' one though) for the slightest of infringements, if indeed they could even be classed as infringements.

I don't know much about the sport (In fact nothing!) but I saw the video of her first race and she was just knocked over - the other skater's hand just clipped her ankle and pulled her leg out from underneath her and that was that
It didn't look intentional or anything - I guess it just happens when you have a bunch of people doing 30mph on ice in very close proximity a tiny error by either you or someone else you're in the wall before you've figured out what happened.

Can we have a discussion about curling and whether or not it really was a hog line violation next?

I ****ing love watching curling, even though the strategy involved confuses me all the time.

Can we have a discussion about curling and whether or not it really was a hog line violation next?

I ****ing love watching curling, even though the strategy involved confuses me all the time.
Yes paul and I am loving it too!!!! it was a hog she did a double touch :-( but hey ho now through to the semis on Friday!!!!

Cheers

kev

Back
Top Bottom