What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earthshaker Shop Log

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Having just finished shopping out my BoP and owning RonSplooters splendid example of a WW which he shopped saving me all the hard work, my ES now looks like a scruffy pauper!!

Having traced back the ES family tree, this one was bought back from the dead by pinballinfo's very own, Dave "pudseypinball" Sibson. I'm guessing that was a couple of years ago now and it's changed hands a couple of times since then.

Its not actually that bad. It's just the orbits and hard to reach bits that have suffered. Plus I like to get stuck into a project having really enjoyed the BoP shop out.

But oh my god, what royal PITA this is to strip. Access at the back of the pf is a nightmare especially with the gap I've got to access it from. You need hands of a 5 year old to get in some of the gaps. plus ive noticed now i really need it, there is no prop arm to hold the pf up so I've got to hold that with one hand and unscrew **** with the other. I can't dismantle it in the logical way I would have liked due to ramps blocking access to different areas of the pf. You can't dismantle the left SS area until you've removed the main ramp. You can't remove the main ramp until you've dismantled the cluster **** of plastics and wireforms around it. And there are A LOT of posts to remove which fasten by a nut under the pf, most of which are fiddly as hell to get at.

it probably took me about 4 hrs to tear it down. Now it's clean time.

Here are some tear down pics.

Oh and if anyone (Daz;-) has a pf prop arm they want to sell, im your man:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Such an awesome art package on this game. I love the colours. One of my fave ever games this.

Updates to follow. I've got to dismantle and burn a 6' x 8' shed in a metal barrel in the mean time!!

My god that's filthy!!!!!!! I'm shocked its got that dirty already I striped it too and it's a pain,it was used in my league meet in April last year and those who played it will agree it was spotless .......... It's a good game so it gets well played:) ..I miss it :(

Good work, is that the final tear down picture or did you go any further?

I know what you mean about the playfield prop, CFTBL doesn't have one so there have been from times where I juggled with hold it on my shoulder whilst I used two hands to remove a post.

Sheds are a man's friend, why are you burning one? Hopefully to get a bigger shed?

Hi Geoff.
Yes I have since stripped the remaining bits of the pf, just not photographed it yet. I think it was about 2330 hrs by that point and I was ready for bed. Due to having 3 pins squeezed together in the kitchen, they block the light switch for that half of the room, so I have to slide under WW on my back, prop myself up on one elbow then reach up the wall with a spatular in my other hand and whack the light switch with it until I get a lucky hit and turn it on. Turning it off is harder as I have to push it back up!! Think I need a remote control switch. But where's the fun in that! Anyway so I have to take that into consideration 10 mins before I do anything else.

And of course Geoff, only making way for a bigger, better shed. Then all the crap from the garage is going in there and garage will be a pin room.

Should have room for 4 set up in there with one or two folded away.

I have a lot of love for ES :hippie:

My 2nd pin, and my first big project, total stripdown - and yes I feel yr pain ...getting to the back of that playfield is a :censored: pain, some very fiddly bits.

I always regretted trading mine, so last year got it back from the chap and now my brother has it :)

Gaz and Geoff.
I have plenty of prop arms for your machines. I know geoff is at EAG on Wed. are you going Gaz ? If so I can get them to you both there.

Ha ha, I knew it. Daz you're a bloody legend. I'm not going to EAG I'm afraid so if I sling a tenner into ya paypal, would you be able to post it mate. No hurry at all.

Ha ha, I knew it. Daz you're a bloody legend. I'm not going to EAG I'm afraid so if I sling a tenner into ya paypal, would you be able to post it mate. No hurry at all.

Are you going to Marks birthday bash in March ? If so I can give it you there, (the prop that is).

Are you going to Marks birthday bash in March ? If so I can give it you there, (the prop that is).
Is that Mr Squires in Swaevsey? If so I could do. Is it an annual thing or an invite only thing? Don't wanna crash the partay!

Is that Mr Squires in Swavesey? If so I could do. Is it an annual thing or an invite only thing? Don't wanna crash the party!

No , wrong Mark.
We are making a trip down to the south coast to the Pinball Parlor and Brighton. You must have seen the post that invited everyone that was up for it. Its Marks 50th birthday and he wanted a trip out to celebrate it.

Thank you Replicas. 🍵
I might not be at EAG now due to work (it pays for pinball parts), hold onto it for March for me as having a prop is going to help.

Hey guys and gals.
Its been a while since I updated this thread, so apologies for that. Once I had it stripped, I kind of lost motivation for a couple of weeks and so it sat!

Ive had a complete ****ing nightmare with it and totally fell out of love with the whole project. I got impatient when treasure coving it. Now I know there are folk on here who don't advocate taking power tools to your playfield! And I don't blame you! I still maintain its ok but..... But you MUST be careful and don't rush. I stupidly spun the drill up too quickly and completely ****ed the bottom right corner of the pf by burning the paint off. I screamed like a banshee then proceeded to punch my house down in anger. That was on Sunday and I'm still furious with myself. I've touched it up now in some effort of damage limitation. But it'll never be the same.

Before I embarrassingly publish photos of my **** up, here are some final tear down pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyway so that's it stripped I e begun the rebuild process more pics to follow.

Right here are the photos of my **** up.

This was a previous touch up by Dave Sibson. Unfortunately I assumed it was covered in normal Mylar. It wasn't!!' The pad melted it in fractions of a second and bin one swift spin, removed the paint.
I wasn't actually bothered about that as I knew it had already been touched in and was a simple green and yellow design to re paint.

image.jpg

This is the bit which ****ed me off!!!
image.jpg

And now touched up. The green still needs another coat!!
image.jpg

And the blue re touched. Could be worse. Plastics cover a lot of it. I know it's there though.
Right I'm signing this off. It's making me angry looking at it!!!! ;-)
image.jpg

Oh sh*t dude .....sorry to hear that....didn't anyone tell you never to mess about with power tools :fear: Seriously though , its live and learn mate, we have all been there. Some years ago I used stupidly strong industrial cleaner on an old apron to clean it up - when I wiped a cloth over it all the artwork smeared and came off as well as the dirt :D Haha, I'm laughing now but like you felt physically sick at the time !

Some tear owns can seem like a mountain to climb, I have done some and loved doing it and others wished I had never started. Silly bloody hobby ;) Always worth it in the end though.

EDIT - just seen the pics. Not that bad dude. Don't worry about it. After a time you'll forget all about it. Could have been waaaaaaay worse. Like right in middle or removed lettering or fancy art !

Rebuild

A few pics of the rebuild thus far. Still a few bags of bits to go.
Taxi arrived earlier so that might distract me!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cheers Ive. Thanks for those empathetic words;-) Me and pinball fell out at the weekend. We're getting there but it's gonna be a long process!!!

Gaz, I feel your pain. I also thank you for being a big man and sharing your woe as we can all learn from this.
My Creech treasure cove experience showed me that you have to be careful, take your time and not stay in one spot for any length of time. I keep looking at the inserts and seeing marks I am sure were not there before.

Those finished pictures really make it look like your hard work is paying off. Very clean and tidy.

Thanks Geoff. Too Kind. And RudeDogg thanks for the heads up. However Rob very kindly offered me those before EBay. As much as I need and want them. A baby due in 4 weeks means serious lack of funds!! So I had to decline:-(

that rebuilt table looks wicked!
i especially like the shots of light bouncing off the newly polished pf, i'll be stealing that idea for my shop log.

and i have to be honest, i can hardly see the ****-up pictures, just a weeny mark on an open space is nothing really. i could make up a story here about how i cleaned the face off the Mona Lisa with some paint thinner i thought was water, but i won't bother.

bee man plays oboe.jpg

What's gone down gaz??????

Alright Dave. Ive gone and got trigger happy with a drill which was also used to dig the channel tunnel and spun it up to 10000000 RPM then put it on the playfield and proceeded to make the art work disappear!!!! What a dick!! Fixed it now though.... Kinda;-)

Having just finished shopping out my BoP and owning RonSplooters splendid example of a WW which he shopped saving me all the hard work, my ES now looks like a scruffy pauper!!

Having traced back the ES family tree, this one was bought back from the dead by pinballinfo's very own, Dave "pudseypinball" Sibson. I'm guessing that was a couple of years ago now and it's changed hands a couple of times since then.

Just so your history is more complete :) - Whirlwind came from me but I don't recall exactly where I got it (it was my 2nd Whirlwind, the first being a true minter) and went to the show in 2011 and to Chris not long after. The ES also came from me, I bought it in a job lot in May 2011 and it went to Dave either late May or in June, it was a working project when it left but I think it died in the move and Dave spent a heck of a lot of time getting it up and running.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Well I think the bucks stopping with me for a long time yet. That's my 3rd and by far the best WW I've had,
I bought ES off Matt Adams around October I think. Just need a FH and I'm set:)

Ive a few bits and bobs for ES if you have any broken/missing bits etc.

Even have a playfield but I removed the mylar a couple of years ago and some of the insert decals went with it... :redface:

Back
Top Bottom