What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you nudge? (I am pondering adding nudge to my digital pin)

Bigmike20vt

Registered
Hi

I will hopefully be getting my new pinball table delivered in the next week. it is digital however i think my question is relevant either way....

Do you guys nudge when playing? (excluding stuck balls)

the table i got is very well featured but does not have nudge buttons, outside of one hidden one to dislodge stuck balls. I am wondering if this matters or if my 1st project needs to be a mod to add either 3 more buttons or some tilt switches.

thanks

Nudge buttons? I've only ever heard of nudge buttons on a virtual table, and even then it's better to have haptic nudging (like via a ms sidewinder).

If however you're talking about giving the table some friendly jostling during play, of course! It's one of the most important skills to have in your ****nal.

Outlane nudging, slap saves, even center drain table shifting (i'm looking at you @James) is all fair game.

Yea, as @stumblor rightly says, you've got to move the machine a bit, be it literal sideways action that I am partial to, or the nuanced approach someone like @Nickoss II uses, moving the machine and understanding how it physically affects the ball is MASSIVE in pinball.

Nudging is absolutely fundamental in Pinball. The slightest, almost imperceptible, nudge can move a slow moving ball by enough to save it if properly timed.

I think the lack of "real nudging" on virtual tables is their Achilles heel.

Yes I use my body English whilst playing. What the heck does that even mean? Read it on a pinside thread then saw it in the Bally Rocket flyer too.

Don't bother with a sidewinder, they're pain to keep calibrated.
Get a pinscape and a tilt bob, works 1000 times better and costs about £30 all in

sadly you snooze you lose came to bite me on the backside... there was a sidewinder on amazon for £9 delivered. i asked the seller if it came with the dongle but by the time he got back to me it had sold... either that or he realised he was £20 ceaper than the going rate and withdrew it!!!

would something like this do the same job, and if so does anyone know if windows will support it (if it will work i am guessing someone must have used one
https://uk.farnell.com/nxp/frdm-kl25z/arm-kinetis-kl25z-freedom-dev/dp/2191861?CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-KWL

Get a pinscape and a tilt bob, works 1000 times better and costs about £30 all in

this is interesting to know thanks, esp as the sidewinder sold anyway :)

edit a very quick google and that looks like it may be similar to what i posted 1 post up.

Yes I use my body English whilst playing. What the heck does that even mean? Read it on a pinside thread then saw it in the Bally Rocket flyer too.
Americans use "English" to represent "side" or "spin" on a cueball (as in when playing pool) and therefore Body English is likely to be very literal - ie, using the body to adjust the direction of the ball...

I do with some games more than others depending on how they play. Some games like Metallica really like to bounce the ball into the outlanes which needs a nudge of the table to help deflect it

Never had any probs with mine, but the pinscape looks interesting. Couldn't find anywhere that sells it though. Know where they're stocked?

Never had any probs with mine, but the pinscape looks interesting. Couldn't find anywhere that sells it though. Know where they're stocked?

Pinscape allows more than nudging if I remember correctly, it can do the buttons and other stuff too (although I've got an ipac for my buttons)

I had issues with the sidewinder drifting out of calibration as the temperature in the cabinet changed.

I put in the pinscape and added a proper tilt bob wired into the ipac, setup once about 18 months ago and it hasn't missed a beat.
You do need to change the nudging script to MRJs one but I can't recall the details off hand

Pretty sure I've got a couple of sidewinders and a single usb connector for one in my spares box if anyone really wants one

Nudging, thumping and wiggling all essential parts of the game...

So to judge from @Moonraker 's post and the others in this thread, is it just me who doesn't nudge their games when playing?

I know they're designed to take being shoved about but I prefer treating my games nicely and just using flipper skills, and if that means lower scores than I might otherwise get....and based on my flipper skills it certainly will.....I can't say I'm too bothered really.

Oh and it saves the carpet too! :D

If by nudging you mean beating the absolute living hell out of the game should I sense a drain then yes

Pinscape is the way to go. Just order a KL25Z for under £15 and load the pinscape software. Really easy and works great

I find nudging distasteful, these games need to be treated as collector pieces much like a fine painting. You will NEVER find me nudging

:rofl:

Maybe I lied a tiny bit

I don't understand anyone who doesn't nudge.I am more respectful of others games, don't nudge as hard as my own

Back
Top Bottom