What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DmdXPress

DrPinball

Registered
Hi

I wrote a post last year about a screen replacement I was putting together. Thought I'd do an update - it's now called DmdXPress as it's a basic, cost effective replacement for DMDs. However, it uses RGB LED panels, so whilst only monochrome, you can choose from Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Magenta, Cyan and White - just press the button to change the colour.

I created a prototype board, which has now been turned into a production board - this is my first SMD board which I'm really pleased with.

IMG_20171223_153456.jpg

Top is the prototype stripboard, and the green board below is the production board.

IMG_20171223_153508.jpg

The board has an atmega328p mcu - this is basically an Arduino - which reads the button presses and controls some of the screen logic.

The black frame is 3mm perspex - this is a first cut with my laser cutter in 2 pieces, I currently have an order with RazorLab for a production version. The front of the screen has the LEDs protruding about 2.5mm - this is not enough to prevent light bleed from the backbox, so I've added a surround and cover to the size of the original glass on a plasma so that the fit should be like the original.

Here is the install in a Stern - the 5V from the original screen is simply connected to the new screen - it's pin compatible. There's also a power pass through connector - I'm hoping that for Stern Whitestar and DE / Sega games this should allow easy powering.

IMG_20171223_154451.jpg IMG_20171223_154501.jpg IMG_20171223_155528.jpg

Here's an install in a WPC game - this uses a small power supply to get the 5V needed, I don't want to rely on the on-board 5V again. This is powered by the 110V supplied to the now redundant high voltage section of the DMD driver board.

IMG_20180105_130723.jpg IMG_20180105_130730.jpg IMG_20180105_130733.jpg IMG_20180105_130828.jpg

I'll be working hard to achieve a basic price of £100 for Stern / Sega / DE, with an extra £20 for WPC with the power supply. This is a provisional price!

After this is going well I'll be looking at DmdXPress XL - this will be a replacement for the large Sega 192 X 64 screens. Price will be less than £200.

Cheers

David.

Looks like Rosie could be getting a red dmd, the original had lines out and had started taking time to warm up, and finally has died. :thumbs:

Those prices PZ could end up going yellow!

This is awesome - makes dmd issues so much less scary for newbies and people on a budget. Great work!

Is there no way to get an orange colour using a mix or anything (i’m guessing you thought of it and there’s good reason, but wanted to ask).

Also any rough idea on ETA for the XL model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is awesome - makes dmd issues so much less scary for newbies and people on a budget. Great work!

Is there no way to get an orange colour using a mix or anything (i’m guessing you thought of it and there’s good reason, but wanted to ask).

Also any rough idea on ETA for the XL model?

I've deliberately kept it simple - I don't want to compete with ColorDMD etc, so the colours are as described, no orange sorry.

Not sure on the XL model yet, at least 2 months I would have thought.

I've deliberately kept it simple - I don't want to compete with ColorDMD etc, so the colours are as described, no orange sorry.

Not sure on the XL model yet, at least 2 months I would have thought.

Cool - was just thinking that there’s (for me at least) demand for a straight-up direct replacement for the original orange screen that’s just more reliable and not £350+ This new product is almost that. Just wondering about putting a red film / Perspex over the screen set to yellow to mimic the old skool orange... [emoji848] http://r.ebay.com/FkLZEn

Last edited:
Cool - was just thinking that there’s (for me at least) demand for a straight-up direct replacement for the original orange screen that’s just more reliable and not £350+ This new product is almost that. Just wondering about putting a red film / Perspex over the screen set to yellow to mimic the old skool orange... [emoji848] http://r.ebay.com/FkLZEn

This would work with an orange / amber transparent 3mm perspex sheet - I will be fitting a lightly tinted front to the screen which could be any colour really.

My dmd is broken but I’m still tempted to hold out for an XL version of this - going to be way more reliable than a used display for the same kind of budget.

Does this have an estimated release date?
I have been working on a few design changes to the frame which is hopefully now a good solution to supporting the LED screens and interface board...
IMG_20180208_113628.jpg IMG_20180208_113642.jpg

I now cut my prototypes at FabLab Warrington as their cutter is larger than mine so can accommodate the size of panels needed for the frame. They charge £5/hour for use of their equipment which seemed pretty reasonable. They are there to help as required. http://fablab.warrington.ac.uk/

I'm waiting for countersunk screws for the front panel so that it sits flush.

I'm now trying to get prices and samples of screens from China - hopefully my usual supplier will come good.

Also looked at prices of surface mount soldering by a third party - this was prohibitively high, so I've decided to build my own reflow oven and do it myself. All parts are on order, and it should look something like this...

I've tested it on Bally (with additional power supply) and Stern SAM systems. It should work without issue on Stern Whitestar / Data East / Sega, but could do with testing this. Also, not sure how the conversion for Stern plasma to LCD is done.

Timescales are therefore difficult to predict at present - I need screens first, then order more PCBs (3 weeks) plus assembly, so 6 weeks at the earliest.

This is such a great gap in the market. Colour is cool and all that but for folks that don’t want to pay silly money for another used dmd that could go pop tomorrow, this is spot on. Love the magnet idea [emoji108]

I think for my line-out DMD this is the perfect solution, shouldn't be cost prohibitive and looks great, with a bit of functionality with the colour change.

If that cost can remain where it was intended - you could put me down for one in six weeks as I will want one for sure :)

Heck, I'd take a prototype if you need someone to test :)

Been holding off getting a replacement DMD for one of these as I know Rosie wants to go red instead of orange. Any updates on how things are going with them?

Cheers

Chris

I received screens and boards for 5 128 X 32 units - I need to source the board components and get the perspex frames cut. I'm a bit busy with other things at present though - DMD Extenders, children etc, etc. I'm still committed to this project though, so please bear with me. Cheers.

I'm getting close to offering these for sale. The screen currently supports Bally / Williams / Stern Whitestar / Stern SAM. I can only test everything in Stern SAM and Bally / Williams so am looking for a Stern Whitestar / Sega (not large screen). If anyone in the North West has one of these I'd be grateful if I could try it out.

For Stern / Sega Whitestar, anything on this list...
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=33

Also, anyone with a Sega / Data East from this list...
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=24

Many thanks for any help

David.

I'm getting close to offering these for sale. The screen currently supports Bally / Williams / Stern Whitestar / Stern SAM. I can only test everything in Stern SAM and Bally / Williams so am looking for a Stern Whitestar / Sega (not large screen). If anyone in the North West has one of these I'd be grateful if I could try it out.

For Stern / Sega Whitestar, anything on this list...
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=33

Also, anyone with a Sega / Data East from this list...
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=24

Many thanks for any help

David.
I’ve got a Rollercoaster Tycoon you can try it in. It’s a Whitestar game.

These look great! Will definately order a few once released! My jackbot has had a line missing since it got delivered and it drives me crazy

Back
Top Bottom