What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity
Agreed

I want a new DMD for TAF that adds colour.

1 - How much is the plug and play version
2 - do I have to fanny on colourising the dots myself or has someone already done it and is sharing their work?

How and where can I buy one of these beauties for my Theatre of Magic, and how much is it gonna cost to get to the South Coast of the UK?

Hello.

May contact directly with me by email pinballsp@gmail.com, Skype pinballsp, Whatsapp +34 693 344 445, or Facebook messenger https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp.

DMDST32 price 184€ (without extras), freight cost to UK, by courier, 26€ (up to 3kg, 1 to 3 DMD in same package).

Optional extras; WIFI +9€, Amber filter +19€, Micro SD card preconfigured +9€, Topper connector with buffers +12€, RS232 serial port +9€, Enhacer chip for SAM/Spike +9€, Flat cable 1.70cm for external Topper +18€, external power supply for 100-250VAC +19€.

Agreed

I want a new DMD for TAF that adds colour.

1 - How much is the plug and play version
2 - do I have to fanny on colourising the dots myself or has someone already done it and is sharing their work?

Hello.

DMDST32 12V DC price 184€ (without extras), freight cost to USA/Canada by courier 68€ (up to 3kg, 1 to 3 DMD in same package).

Optional extras; WIFI +9€, Amber filter +19€, Micro SD card preconfigured +9€, Topper connector with buffers +12€, RS232 serial port +9€, Enhacer chip for SAM/Spike +9€, Flat cable 1.70cm for external Topper +18€, external power supply for 100-250VAC +19€.

About colourising question, you may config the base option, that replace brightness levels by colors, 16 colors for SAM/Spike, 4 colors for rest of manufacturers. Most of people do it so, and look is really good. If you want you may edit and apply detailed color by animations or even frame to frame. Currently I think there are only some SAM files available with advanced color ready to use.

Hi you seem to be doing some good stuff here but the thread is becoming long and too convoluted.

Why not start a new thread to sell these displays with all the cost details listed in plain english including shipping costs and leave the original thread for all your other projects and for all the comments
and questions.

Yes, you are right, I will avoid speak in this post about another of my projects, keep this only for DMDST32 that was the original subject.

Yep looks lovely but I just want a colour DMD that's ready to plug in and go with no faffing about. All those optional extras aren't on any of the standard or colour DMDs I have so I assume not needed. I have a few games I'd like to use them on so is there a list of games that are already coloured please?

Yep looks lovely but I just want a colour DMD that's ready to plug in and go with no faffing about. All those optional extras aren't on any of the standard or colour DMDs I have so I assume not needed. I have a few games I'd like to use them on so is there a list of games that are already coloured please?

I wouldn't buy until Luis releases his own (rather than PIN2DMD) MK66 / Pi3 based solution. There's a reason why so few games have been coloured, despite quite a lot of the PIN2DMDs being sold.

I wouldnt go as far to say 'do not buy until MK66 comes out' as all colordmds' need some kind of work done with them. If you want a plug and play one - go to colordmd.com

I have fitted these into many pins - with a post 2005 Stern - plug them in and go! They have a preset palette that looks really good.

If you want a game with a coloured rom (like on visual pinball) - you have to upload a custom rom and 'palette' file - or mess about with some software like pinball browser which is VERY time consuming. You can download custom palette files for most games, and its a tiny file you copy to the SD card. I have fitted these displays into older bally/williams games with great results.

Luis's own firmware will need decoding of some sort.

Having just looked on colordmd.com. The displays are $351 + $69 shipping to the UK - that is £351 at todays rare - plus when you get stung by customs they will ask for another 20% plus a fee.

You pay your money - you take your choice.

I have a few games I'd like to use them on so is there a list of games that are already coloured please?

- Stern ACDC from PinballMikeD
- Stern Metallica from PinballMikeD and J_M
- Stern Family Guy from MonsterBash
- Stern Spiderman Vault Edition from Sharkky
- Stern StarTrek from Sharkky
- Stern Avengers from Sharkky
- Stern WorldPokerTour from Sharkky
- Stern Mustang from Sharkky
- Stern Pirates of the Caribbean from Sironzelot
- Stern Shrek from Toon
- Stern BigBuckHunter from Sharkky

and the latest is
- Stern The Simpsons pinball party from vbobrusev
This is most interesting since this machine has originally 4 colors but is now completely colorized with 16 colors.
That proves that it is not only possible on newer 16 color Stern machines to get full color using pinball browser
but also on older 4 color machine like WPC, DataEast, Whitestar using Pin2DMD Editor.

cool, so if i bought one for my TSPP, what would i need to do to have a colour DMD going - is this right:
1 buy the thing from Luis
2 pay the $10 fee to you
3 install something from somewhere, somehow
4 that's it?

if yes, and if you'll help me with no 3 above, then i'll buy one now, this evening

Hey Luis, why not list what you're currently selling, options, prices & how to order in your forum Signature. Then it will appear and be uptodate every-time you post (old posts update with latest too).

Btw, where is 128x16 in your project list?

Hey Luis, why not list what you're currently selling, options, prices & how to order in your forum Signature. Then it will appear and be uptodate every-time you post (old posts update with latest too).

Btw, where is 128x16 in your project list?

Thanks for suggestion.
About current projects, priority is Creature Mod.

cool, so if i bought one for my TSPP, what would i need to do to have a colour DMD going - is this right:
1 buy the thing from Luis
2 pay the $10 fee to you
3 install something from somewhere, somehow
4 that's it?

if yes, and if you'll help me with no 3 above, then i'll buy one now, this evening

I may be able to throw my Pin2dmd into an AC/DC without any 'code or palettes' - if you want to see one in action.

Yes please, I suspect there's loads of us watching this thread with interest and also a little frustration. Every new update by the clearly-brainy-and-savvy op is really really long and impenetrable with 10 new pictures but all I want to do is know if I can buy the thing and if it will look good in my game without needing me to have a PhD in software. Plug. And. Play. Take. My. Money.

It's gotta be way cheaper and so a better deal than colorDMD but nowhere have I seen any videos of the things in action [emoji14]

Yes please, I suspect there's loads of us watching this thread with interest and also a little frustration. Every new update by the clearly-brainy-and-savvy op is really really long and impenetrable with 10 new pictures but all I want to do is know if I can buy the thing and if it will look good in my game without needing me to have a PhD in software. Plug. And. Play. Take. My. Money.

It's gotta be way cheaper and so a better deal than colorDMD but nowhere have I seen any videos of the things in action [emoji14]

PIN2DMD is a DIY community project and never meant to be a cheap plug and play alternative to a commercial product like colorDMD. Steve and I spent over 1000 hours to program the firmware, the editor and develop this in our free time without the intention of ever making money with it. We just wanted to have and give the ability to colorize machines which most likely never will be done commercially. We still don´t make any profits and forward every cent we get from the donations to charity projects like orphans home or children with cancer. Since we don´t have the time to solder hundreds of pcbs or even more assemble complete hardware kits, other members of the community like Rappelbox or UncleSash jumped in to help people who are not that good at soldering. Luis with his hardware design and production skills moved this to a new commercial level. We had a lot of dealers asking us for a commercial software version or commercial license keys but we still refuse that. The reason is that running a second business just for our hobby project would mean a lot more (paper) work for us and we hate that as much as we love our hobby. We already have enough of that at our real job. So either you invest some of your spare time to learn how to make a pin2dmd work or you simply buy a colorDMD. As much as Luis would love to take your money it is not really a motivation for Steve and me. Sorry.

P.S. Youtube has a lot of videos of pin2dmd in action.

Lucky1. It is a great project you and Steve have worked on.

It is also amazing you donate the money for licenses to an excellent cause.

Other people are selling pin2dmd units complete - like germangamingsupplies.

I have no idea why you, Steve and Luis do not get your ideas together and make a 100% plug and play unit for pinball people who do not have the knowledge. What you do with your money from such a project is your own affair.

Lucky1. It is a great project you and Steve have worked on.

It is also amazing you donate the money for licenses to an excellent cause.

Other people are selling pin2dmd units complete - like germangamingsupplies.

I have no idea why you, Steve and Luis do not get your ideas together and make a 100% plug and play unit for pinball people who do not have the knowledge. What you do with your money from such a project is your own affair.

Neither germangamingsupplies nor any other dealer is selling pin2dmd as complete kits. They are just selling the hardware and not more.

If you build the hardware yourself you pay around 100Euro for pin2dmd. Dealers currently take around 200Euro for the same hardware preassembled.
This takes about 1 hour of time per unit. What do you think Steve and I would have to ask for including costs like tax, tax consultant , writing invoices etc into calculation ?

As I already told, money is absolutely no motivation for us. Steve and I have enough of business **** to handle in our real job. We don´t want to waste our free time on that also. We want to spend it on doing something we enjoy, no matter how successful it is.

https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-Display-Tyche

This is what Pinballsp is also offering. All you need to do is put a activation code into it.

That to me looks like a 95% plug and play kit.

Doing it the other way (buying stm32 board, extender boards, led panels, power supply) does save people money but a lot of pinball people like me just want a quick, easy solution.

It's a personal choice whatever road you take.

In the attached video, testing the Kinetis MK66 processor that will install my new DMD, the DMDMK66.
This is a new product completely developed by me, with its own hardware and software, this way the dependence on third-party firmware will disappear, no pay licenses or wait for activations.

The product will work immediately after connection. All updates will be free and can be downloaded online from the Github I am preparing.
The first firmware version will not support all the options yet, but it will be a 100% functional product that at least will be compatible with Bally/Williams, Data East, Stern WhiteStar, Stern SAM, and probably Spike, this last I must test yet.

Next updates will add support for Capcom, virtual pinball, WIFI, advanced coloring, etc .... I will inform periodically of the new firmware updates, which I will be hanging for free download.

The tests that I have performed for now, have been totally satisfactory. The final PCB board ready to send to manufacturer tomorrow. I think in 10-15 days the product may be ready to offer it. The price will be the same as the DMDST32 12VDC, but not having to pay licenses, it really costs € 10 less.

https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-Display-Tyche

This is what Pinballsp is also offering. All you need to do is put a activation code into it.

That to me looks like a 95% plug and play kit.

Doing it the other way (buying stm32 board, extender boards, led panels, power supply) does save people money but a lot of pinball people like me just want a quick, easy solution.

It's a personal choice whatever road you take.

That's what I was looking for, thanks for the link @Pick Holder and thank you @pinballsp I'll be ordering one in the morning

That's what I was looking for, thanks for the link @Pick Holder and thank you @pinballsp I'll be ordering one in the morning

You realise that's not pinballsp's product? It's one of the other PIN2DMD displays. If I were you, I'd wait for the one he discusses in his above post, unless it's for TSPP / AC/DC which are already coloured - the Russian user vborusev did a great job on TSPP.

Today test day on the prototype of DMDMK66.

The board has been tested all day connected to a Bally/Williams CPU, I made several changes to the hardware, adding a CD4050 buffers to improve the signals and tested with and without the LS123 chip, it definitely stays or small glitches in the picture (jumps and flickers).

Right now the product works perfectly on Bally/Williams, the next few days I will try on a Capcom CPU that I have, and in a week I receive the final PCB board. I'll assemble a prototype and test on Data East, Stern SAM, WhiteStar and Spike.

If everything goes as I hope, soon I will be able to release the first version of the product, both hardware and firmware, ready to use. The firmware will be upgradeable, free and can be downloaded online from a Github that I have already prepared.

If I can in the first version of the firmware, I will add support for virtual pinball, but I am not sure if it will be, in that case I will add it in the second firmware revision. The hardware will not need changes to support new brands or virtual pinball.

As for other brands like Capcom, Gottlieb, Alvin or Spooky, at the moment are not my priority, except Capcom that I do not think it is difficult to include. Because of my experience in DMDST32 sales, the vast majority are for Bally/Williams, and some for Stern SAM, WhiteStar, Spike and Data Est. I've never been asked by a DMDST32 to mount it in an Alvin, Spooky or Gottlieb, so I will not waste much time on those brands, perhaps on Gottlieb, if he can have any interest.

i58.servimg.com_u_f58_19_51_27_33_dsc_0810.jpg

i58.servimg.com_u_f58_19_51_27_33_dsc_0814.jpg

i58.servimg.com_u_f58_19_51_27_33_dsc_0813.jpg

i58.servimg.com_u_f58_19_51_27_33_dsc_0811.jpg

i58.servimg.com_u_f58_19_51_27_33_dsc_0812.jpg

If you have a better method for colouring (auto / palettes / full custom colour) that's easier to use and less time consuming, then I think you'll definitely get some Capcom and Gottlieb interest. I'll certainly get one for my Breakshot.

Still interested in this for my Rocky & Bullwinkle too.

Color DMD keep saying R&B is on the way but no details on when and the price is obviously higher. Once my R&B is rebuilt I might be interested in taking the time to colourise it myself so i'll be watching the continuing posts in this thread with interest.

Finished the test with Bally/Williams, works perfectly. So its time for more tests, tomorrow I will test CAPCOM, with the CPU in picture, I must burn a ROM with the game, and I think firmware may work without any modification because of support Autodetect, this mean do not need config pinball manufacturer.

Also preparing export Source Code with all Libraries from Arduino to KDE (Kinetis Design Studio) or MCUXPresso, to work with a proffessional tool, this allow to do Debug for test code. I plan add Aurora library to play animated GIF for splash screen and may be also for replacement of original animations, this may be interesting for people that want design their own animations, mainly graphic designers.

First I will add to source code support for SD card with FASTFS library, to may store and read config file with brightness level, color palette, custom splash screen, animations, etc.. Probably will have two files, one for main config and one with colored animations and keyframes. Main config file will be a TEXT file, so easy to edit by anybody, do not need special software to update a bin file.

I will try, for first firmware release, add also virtual pinball.

In pictures attached my Capcom CPU, Roms to burn with game (Pinball Magic or BBB), and my programmers for Kinetis, one Segger Jlink and one U-Multilink. Also capture screen about Kinetis Design Studio, the tool I will use to work with source code.

Start from a Teensy/Arduino source code, do not mean all is ready to work, there is a lot of source code to add to may offer a good product, but its not a problem, I have all the knowledge and tools to do it. Step by step, release after release I think I will may offer a good product, with all features that people want in a multicolor DMD.

I have many ideas for advanced coloring software, but that will be later, after releasing the first version of the DMDMK64.

oi64.tinypic.com_242acxw.jpg

oi67.tinypic.com_2dsk2dk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom