What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dim dots on DMD

JT.

Site Supporter
So, got the backbox light sorted, now the DMD:

I have a couple of dots on my SM DMD that are dimmer than the rest. The rest of the rows/columns that these dots are in are fine. It actually doesn't show most of the time due to where they are, but there are a couple of graphics where it can be seen.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Is it PinLED or traditional plasma. If PinLED, then its quite common for individual pixels to fail. Try reseating the mini module, or replace.

pinballmania' date=' post: 1692720 said:
Is it PinLED or traditional plasma. If PinLED, then its quite common for individual pixels to fail. Try reseating the mini module, or replace.

Not sure what type it is, how do you tell the difference between plasma and LED?

I tried reseating the ribbon cables, but that didn't help. Is there any way to get these repaired rather than replaced (at nearly £150 for a new one, I cannot justify replacing it, as the dodgy dot is not too visible).

Plasmas use a 'high voltage' driver board, pinleds do not. In my limited experience with pinled displays the pixels dont dim, they just fail completely (had a few complete segments fail too) For that reason i think you have the plasma, but if you look in the backbox you should see a 'high voltage' driver board (yellow looking board with the words high voltage on it). If this is present its most likely a plasma. You cant repair a 'dim' plasma, only add more voltage (not sure how you would do that on the stern high voltage boards) to compensate making the whole display brighter.

I managed to find the DMD test in the menu's, and looking at it using the test, it does look like it has actually gone rather than dimmed. I checked the backbox and could not see a yellow board. Below a couple of pics - the first is a side on shot of the DMD (not great I'm afraid, but difficult to get a useful photo of it) and the second a shot of the boards inside the backbox (the DMD is connected to the right hand board by the ribbon cable on the lower right hand side).

DSC01628-2.jpg

DSC01629-1.jpg

You dont have the high voltage components and the header pins on the back of your dmd suggest it is in fact a pinled dmd. You may be able to repair the damaged bit by buying a new segment. You would probably have to desolder the affected segment from the back of the dmd board to put a new one in, but i dont see why it couldnt be done relatively cheaply. Perhaps Andy could chime in on if the segments are actually available or not?

Back
Top Bottom