What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deeproot Pinball

At this stage it’s a “good” trailer (they do little for me tbh, any of them) - proof is in the pudding and I see no spoon, no desert and barely a waitress who’s eye I can catch to place my order...

It was always a Zidware rework though wasn't it? That Zidware cabinet art is actually pretty cool TBH...

The castors make me very nervous.

Those are old pics though aren't they? From the Zidware prototypes? Or are these leaked from Deeproot?

TWIP: As part of the Goodwill Terms on the web page, you state “deeproot Tech will deliver elected game(s) no later than June 30, 2019″. Is that when we can expect to see a deeproot pinball machine for sale?

deeproot: When the masterpiece is ready, we will let everyone know. By the very terms, that would be the latest date permitted.

That date is soon approaching...

The master piece lol - if this game sucks they are going to be flushed down the ****ter with no glory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't quite understand why Deeproot would take on all the baggage associated with JPop/Zidware instead of hiring someone else. Is he really that good a pinball designer? They must have had some pretty innovative IP worth snagging for it to be worth it.

God knows especially when they have Norseman and ousler on the pay roll also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't quite understand why Deeproot would take on all the baggage associated with JPop/Zidware instead of hiring someone else. Is he really that good a pinball designer? They must have had some pretty innovative IP worth snagging for it to be worth it.

I’m guessing because of the near finished designs as well as the finished designs he/zidware had. Obviously they are starting at a loss with all the backlash from jpops failed attempts before (must be 4 now?) they are putting a lot of faith in his skills (reviews very split on the likes on theatre of magic and cirque Voltaire etc in the past) then of course there is the financial overhead of sorting all the claims for reimbursement & compensation from the previously burnt.

If deeproot pinball a success it will be a shock but also will be good as there will be a few great looking games produced.

I get the pre-existing design bit, and that would have made sense if deeproot could have pushed out these games shortly after taking Jpop on board. But its been a good few years since deeproot went public surely something entirely new could have been developed in that time? What's the real reason for delay. Have they instead spent this time coming up with a new way to mass produce these at fractions of the current cost such as with off the shelf microcomputers like in The Mafia?

So have they actually got a machine that Flips a ball? If not then what is the point of them hyping anything?
After predator, TBL, alien etc is anyone going to be daft enough to stick down money on a game from a new manufacturer unless they can get the game that day?

I thought that there whole business model was to not take a "dime" until shipment, - but to go to market distributorless also...

They could, and I hope they do, change the face of pinball with all the claims of direct to customer (this has problems, but cuts out a mark-up, I am mixed on this), easy mass production and a strong innovation and launch schedule - this could be the "entry level cost" competitor to Stern and all the issues we have with inflated UK pricing...

The question is will they, won't they?

Playing devils advocate a bit here but how much cheaper would a game have to be to tempt someone to buy it direct from a US manufacturer with no prior history of manufacturing?

At 2k for a game I’d maybe take a punt. At 5k I’d be concerned that it would either fail to turn up or it would breakdown and I’d be stuck with an expensive paperweight

Maybe if you can pay with a credit card it becomes more attractive as there is some level of consumer protection.

Creating the "brains" of a pinball machine has been proven to be possible with off the shelf components, Arduino etc. But the bill of materials will always be pretty big for the sheer fact that pinball machines are honking beasts. And buyers of new machines have increasingly come to expect large screens in the backglass/playfield.

Team Pinball in Wales has proven it's possible to manufacture a machine from mostly off-the-shelf parts direct to purchasers but on only a very small scale and its only a pretty basic machine.

Another problem with direct ordering from the US is there's no discount for bulk shipping of machines to a distributor. Each one would have to be packaged and loaded onto its own container. Importing to the UK will also mean you'll have to pay 20% VAT as well as import duty which is another 2.5% (I think). So even if they get a machine to a cost of something like £2,000 you can expect at least another £400 for shipping. Then VAT will be an extra £480 and import duty might take it to closer to £3,000. Still cheaper than a Stern I guess...

We'll have to wait and see because at the moment it's just wild speculation.

Back
Top Bottom