What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decking stain/oil/protector?

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
Does anyone have a favourite decking treatment? I spent 5 hours jet washing my decking today and I'm only halfway done. It's 13 years old but holding up pretty well, there's one or 2 bits that need attention but overall I'm happy with it. I guess it should be treated every year but its such a large area it takes me a few days to jet wash and stain it so it only gets done every few years. Does anyone apply with a spray gun? roller? pad? etc.

My favourite decking treatment was covering it with artificial grass,best thing I ever did,did it about 4 years ago and still looks great no more jet washing or staining just a wee brush every now and then.

My favourite decking treatment was covering it with artificial grass,best thing I ever did,did it about 4 years ago and still looks great no more jet washing or staining just a wee brush every now and then.

Rotting underneath the grass instead lol

Thought that would happen myself but I can get underneath mine so there is a passage of air all around it and the decking and 6x2s are exactly the same as when I covered it.20160722_071054.jpg

Thought that would happen myself but I can get underneath mine so there is a passage of air all around it and the decking and 6x2s are exactly the same as when I covered it.View attachment 65927
Very nice, I see more and more people using artificial grass and think it looks great ( I'm sure some people shudder at the thought though! ) , I don't think it's really an option in my case though.

Old photos from when it was new...
IMG_0280.JPGIMG_0281.JPG

Would NOT advise coloured stain. Used Ronseal grey decking paint and at £37 a tin, fricking expensive as it only covers a small area. After spending £200 quid it hasn't even lasted a year and all needs doing again. I would never buy or use wooden decking again. Friend has used the composite and it is very good.

Would NOT advise coloured stain. Used Ronseal grey decking paint and at £37 a tin, fricking expensive as it only covers a small area. After spending £200 quid it hasn't even lasted a year and all needs doing again. I would never buy or use wooden decking again. Friend has used the composite and it is very good.
While googling I came across someone else saying they had a bad experience with the Ronseal paint, Ronseal tried to say it's only supposed to last 6 months, they ended up getting their money back but well out of pocket for labour and the deck is left looking terrible.

The composite stuff is the way to go, @ianw has a huge area made out of it, looks awesome and will last forever.

I'm sure Ian won't mind me posting a photo of it....

20150606_134405.jpg

Nice work @kevlar - you missed a bit tho ;) :D

I was warned off ronseal for the shed and used sadolin which is more freaking expensive than Bollinger! But used that on shed and on my decking and it looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used Ronseal decking stain for the deck, I've used it before and it's fine, doesn't peel etc unlike their decking paint which I've read bad reports about. All decking treatments seem to be very expensive, at least double the cost of fence/shed stains. Luckily I found a good offer in Home Bargains ?

Back
Top Bottom