What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DE Tommy Auto Launcher Not Working With Double Flipper Press

cgclassics

Registered
The auto launcher on my DE Tommy is working fine when in multiball or with an encore ball, however, it has stopped working when you press both flipper buttons together and there is a ball in the shooting lane. It was working fine previously. Flippers on both sides working OK. Got me a bit stumped this one. Any ideas welcome...

The auto launcher on my DE Tommy is working fine when in multiball or with an encore ball, however, it has stopped working when you press both flipper buttons together and there is a ball in the shooting lane. It was working fine previously. Flippers on both sides working OK. Got me a bit stumped this one. Any ideas welcome...

Hmmm - odd one. Is the shooter lane switch functioning 100% ? Switch 16 . Maybe test it in the diagnostics switch test ?

Check the flipper switches in diagnostics too - 63 & 64

Do the flippers do anything else in this game (select lit outlane or similar) if so does that feature work on each flipper?

Hey Tommy fans, what is the significance of seat number Row J Seat 21 on the Apron card?

Do the flippers do anything else in this game (select lit outlane or similar) if so does that feature work on each flipper?

No they don't. The left one also operates the upper left flipper , is there an additional switch for that ?? There may be. Can't remember without checking my game. Though you would notice if upper flipper wasn't working.

Hey Tommy fans, what is the significance of seat number Row J Seat 21 on the Apron card?

No idea. It could be just random , or some designer easter egg thing ... eg initial of their child , who is 21 ...that sort of thing ?

Tommy originally opened in St James Theatre on Broadway. I have just checked the seating plan , cos I really have nothing better to do today :rofl::rofl::cuckoo:, and see no obvious significance to it.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/seatingchartbig/StJames-Theatre

OK so in switch test mode - switch 16 (shooter lane is fine). But the following are not working
57 Left Ramp Enter
58 Left Ramp Exit
62 Right Ramp Exit

Also in switch test mode, the flippers work, but no switch signal is registered when you press the flipper buttons.

All the above are in column 8 of the Switch matrix chart. So question is will this be a faulty wire or would a duff diode also kill this lot? BTW where are the flipper switches - if that's not a stupid question?

Cheers

OK so in switch test mode - switch 16 (shooter lane is fine). But the following are not working
57 Left Ramp Enter
58 Left Ramp Exit
62 Right Ramp Exit

Also in switch test mode, the flippers work, but no switch signal is registered when you press the flipper buttons.

All the above are in column 8 of the Switch matrix chart. So question is will this be a faulty wire or would a duff diode also kill this lot? BTW where are the flipper switches - if that's not a stupid question?

Cheers

Sounds like thats the problem.

If the whole column has gone it could well be the transistor for Column 8 has failed - Q48

It might be worth reseating the connector CN8 on the main board, check the wire is firmly seated - just in case its just a crappy connection.

OK reseating the connector didn't do anything. Q48 has been replaced at sometime with some burning of the tracks and a little scorch mark. The burning is old. What's the best way of testing the transistor on the board with a DMM? do the associated capacitor and resistor go as well C74 and R98?

Tommy originally opened in St James Theatre on Broadway. I have just checked the seating plan , cos I really have nothing better to do today :rofl::rofl::cuckoo:, and see no obvious significance to it.
According to wikipedia that was the broadway opening, our trail leads us La Jolla Playhouse, San Diego a year earlier, but nothing significant there either at seat J 21 :confused: Wouldn't it have been cool if the seat was restricted view:cool:

BTW where are the flipper switches - if that's not a stupid question?
Not such a daft question, you find the wires for the flipper "matrix" switches come off the Solid State Flipper Board (not stacked on the flipper cab switches like older machines). That's why the flippers can work, but the flipper software features not.

Check the simple things - for Switch Matrix Col 8 Green/Grey wire do you have continuity from the legs of Q48 on the MPU to CN1-4 on the SSFB ?

Guys thanks for all the help and advice so far - really useful. I have done the switch matrix test in diagnostic mode and the CN8 pin 9 column is out which links to Q48 as mentioned before. So I did the switch matrix test with a test lead and diode directly onto the MPU and CN8 and CN10 disconnected. All columns work fine except for CN8 pin 9 which goes to Q48. So that means it's a board failure not playfield. I have done an NPN transistor check with DMM in diode mode. With positive probe on the base for all the Q48-Q55 2N3904 transistors I get about 0.6V with negative probe on either collector or emitter which is fine, EXCEPT for Q48. For Q48 I get 0.6V for base to emitter but just under 0.1V for base to collector. So I think Q48 is bad and the base to collector junction is almost going open circuit. Does that sound reasonable? I've ordered some spare transistors. Looks like this one has been replaced before as the tracks have been repaired. I suppose if the transistor has gone, is there any underlying things that cause this, or is fairly commonplace? Do you guys routinely replace anything else when you change out these transistors? Thanks

Also just checked the resistor and capacitor R98 & C74. R98 based on the colour code should be 1.5k but is only measuring at 1.1k, all the other resistors R99 to R105 are measuring 1.5k on the nose. So I think I'll swap R98 out. However for the capacitor C74 does anyone know the type and spec/rating for this so I can order a new one?

Back
Top Bottom