What's new

DE Batman Light Cluster issue - FIXED

MadNat

Site Supporter
I have a problem with a clust of lights on my DE Batman. There is a board with 6 555 lamps at the lower centre of the playfield - they light up bonus multiplier and shoot again indicators.

The lamps work, but not as the should - the bonus multipliers are constantly on, as is the Shoot again indicator. So clearly a wiring problem. Would anyone know how to help a newbie diagnose the problem for a repair? Video attached to help understand the problem better. I believe there is a schematic in my manual if that helps.

Many thanks for any help and advice offered.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1905.MOV
    20.8 MB
Check the column and row driver transistors are not physically touching.

Also go into lamp test and check each column and row. If one is permanently on - you need to change out the TIP

I have had this a few times when the transistors metal lug touch.....

It more than likely is not a wiring issue - but do the lamp tests first.

Check the column and row driver transistors are not physically touching.

Also go into lamp test and check each column and row. If one is permanently on - you need to change out the TIP

I have had this a few times when the transistors metal lug touch.....

It more than likely is not a wiring issue - but do the lamp tests first.

Yup, this

Thanks gents - looks like Q70 is driving that bank of lamps (see attached docs). Will take a look at the board later in the week. Hope it is a simple fix, as I'm not sure I'm competent enough to replace a TIP!

Attachments

• DE-Batman-Board-Layout.jpg
    DE-Batman-Board-Layout.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DE-Batman-Lamp-Circuit.jpg
    DE-Batman-Lamp-Circuit.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DE-Batman-Lamp-Matrix.jpg
    DE-Batman-Lamp-Matrix.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 8
There is clear daylight between Q70 and it’s neighbours. Testing it with a multimeter shows nothing passing through in either direction from any pin. So looks like it is a bad TIP. Any volunteers want to have a go at replacing it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is clear daylight between Q70 and it’s neighbours. Testing it with a multimeter shows nothing passing through in either direction from any pin. So looks like it is a bad TIP. Any volunteers want to have a go at replacing it??

Obvs cash/drink reward! I’m near Stratford upon Avon

Happy to pay for the job. Could you PM me with a price please? Ta.

Bump - anyone able to help with this small repair?

Looking at my soldering iron and solder sucker... contemplating the challenge myself. What’s the worst that could happen? [emoji2]

IIRC it is for sale, so ideally you need it repaired, if you take your time, read up, it is doable

Did some more thorough tests. Make sure I’m about to do the right thing!

Row lamp test shows everything perfectly (and revealed a couple of dud bulbs).

Column test - the cluster of lights are always on (but dim) for all tested columns. Only 8 lamps on for Column 2 (Q70) which is the defect cluster, other column tests show 16 bulbs per column (ie defect cluster AND bulbs for that selected column).

So thinking it is the column 2 TIP (Q70) is def failed. Would you agree?

Thanks

Now have the board out
92b6490f0a6d76d0a061161c417be98a.jpg
Top side looks fine.

Bottom side
823e636b6e4e442eade30314405b945f.jpg
you notice there has been some contamination where the Q70 TIP is located
498a5754f8bc25689120b910260ae148.jpg

There is continuity between the track where the contamination is. Is it safe to clean the board before attempting to remove the bad component? If so with what?

Ta

Mike

Not really damage as such, just the resistors have heated up the lacquer. Would be more bothered about cleaning the rough repairs

Thanks - had a go at getting those repairs cleaned up. Not perfect but I think is cleaner.
3359609e92c9c9bc6ffe7f0ea6cd20be.jpg

Also managed to get that defective TIP out. It was a bit stubborn- but got it out with edge cutters and solder wick in the end. Pads still look ok I think.
52cc3f9802a1d9a60a3ee1334889b6ee.jpg

Fingers crossed I have fooked something else in the process!

Back
Top Bottom