What's new

Custom Controller for Gottlieb 80b Games

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
I have a new controller board that have been working on.

It is based around my 80b cpu board replacement hardware design but allows connection up to python and pyprocgame frameworks (the ones i used to write my indy jones rewrite). I have developed some firmware that runs on a teensy that can communicate to the procgame framework via usb and a rPi zero and also the existing 80b driver, sound and display boards.

Therefore i can write new games rules in the way i am familiar but connect upto existing 80b games.

IMG_1194.jpg

This board is 1 of 4 proto boards i've had made to experiment with. I know there was another project around that used emulation of pinmame, but this is my take on custom control, using what i've learnt over the years. I'd like to write some new game code for various 80b titles, but with the minimum of external changes. I've also used as much 74 i/o control (from my redesigned cpu board) to keep the i/o side as original as possible. Often the feel of a game can be down to the i/o hardware as much as the software. Or the hardware dictates the way the software has to go.

Got some new ideas for this project, which i am hoping to share at pinfest this year.

Can you tell what it is yet?

IMG_2215.JPG

Screenshot 2018-08-09 21.40.18.png

Of course its GOLD WINGS. The best game ever!

The logo is now recreated in glorious vector graphics, so can be scaled any size with no loss. (may even knock up a few t shirts :))

I am thinking about putting in lcd graphics for this hardware, so can run layered graphics, score and video altogether. Everything will need to contained within my hardware board, other than the lcd screen as i want to keep all existing hardware other than the cpu board and display. The backbox displays lend themselves to an lcd screen as there is a big rectangular hole behind the display plastic!

Hardware board looks like this, now populated

IMG_2224.JPG

Back
Top Bottom