What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create plastic ramps - Vacum forming

dave

Site Supporter
Alias
Horse
I have toyed with the idea of doing that. The only thing I'm not sure on is getting a clean cut / plastic lip once it has been vacuumed. Can't imagine a sharp knife and steady hand would suffice. Do they use a hot blade thing or something?

Yeah heated should be ok I'd imagine or with a scalpel blade. In the first link I don't think they cut it from the mold because can see some overhang in one picture.

I would've left the plastic on the mold with the lip made from ply/balsa, or anything thin for a lip, and cut along that for a nice cut.

If you click then download these pictures @ original resolution you can get much a better look, I don't think that's a bad job at all.

But here you can see the clay molding maybe, looks a bit wobbly, not the cut but mold with clay. Pretty sure with solid, flush wood it would be nicer.

Now you got me wondering about using this method to reproduce broken ramps, using the broken ramps themselves as the mold. Good stuff.

I would deffo give it a go. It's like £3 a sheet of the PETG. I've seen the price of one wh20 ramp, nearly choked.

Had a look into how to smooth off edges and sometimes it's done with a blowtorch. Sounded strange at the time but have seen a couple of videos now, same method to polish/clean ramps.

Back
Top Bottom