What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constructing a scoop light mod

strongs

Site Supporter
I'm wanting to put an RGB changing LED inside my scoop on my Tron. I want the light to be on constantly. What is the best way to do this? Parts, mounting and hooking up advice all required please :)

If you want it on constantly, tie it in to one of the gi lamps.

You'll need a lamp holder the same as your gi ones, a couple of bits of wire, a diode and depending on access you may need a bendy led

Done this a few times. Just ties into a lamp off the GI on underneath of playfield. Lamp holder and a lamp, couple of solders, 2 bits of wire.
Just don't stick it too close to the solenoid arm.

And if you use a wedge/555 bulb then probably some hot glue too, otherwise the scoop vibrations will work the led loose.

All you're doing is adding an extra GI bulb in the chain.

No resistors required? Where is the best place to get a single #44 lamp holder from? Also I know it sounds really OCD but I'd also like to get a screw that looks identical to all the others used on the stock lamp holders on my machine.

Also looking for RGB LED recommendations for this mod.

The resistor depends on what kind of LED you will use.

Something between 110ohm and 200 ohm will do

R = U / I

U = 6.3V (GI)
I = 0.03 A (Normal RGB led current)

Resistor = (6.3v - 3v for led) / 0.03 = 110 ohm

Note : the led is gonna flicker because of the AC current (GI), but you won't notice that

I think you need a small bridge rectifier also otherwise the RGB led will start 50 times a second because of the AC from GI.
It will probably stay on 1 color, (I guess Red)

Another way to do this is using the 12v cable that is sitting on the right side of the cabinet.

It's 12v DC so you only need a resistor of 300 ohm

I had made these a few years ago to use in the spotlights on playfield (also GI but with a T10 lampbase)

Made this one this morning (for GI, lampbase = ba9)

Parts needed : RGB Led (slow color change), bridge rectifier,resistor and ba9 lampbase.

RGB for GI.JPG

These are the ones I had made a few years ago.
I use them in the spotlights on the playfield.

Same components only I used a superflux RGB Led

RGB Led T10.JPG RGB T10.JPG

Back
Top Bottom