What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting a Megadrive to a Dino King

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
I've stuck a post up on UKVAC about this but its worth picking the brains of you clever people on here as well :D

So the plan is to wire a Sega Megadrive into my new Dino King but I know sod all about arcade cabs so trying to gather as much info as possible before I start. There are 4 areas I think I need to figure out:
  • Connecting to the Dino King monitor - I'm told that the Dino King is an RGB monitor and I know that the Megadrive 1 outputs RGB so is this as simple as buying a cheap RGB Scart cable off Ebay, chopping the Scart connector off and wiring it to the Dino King monitor cable...or am I not that lucky? @huggers I know your mate said get various adapter cables but I don't think the monitor is actually VGA it just uses that connector.
  • Connecting a controller - hoping this is just a simple pad hack to the joystick and buttons. Is there anything I need to watch out for here?
  • Powering the Megadrive from the Dino King power supply - I don't want to run a 2nd plug to power the Megadrive and assuming it needs 12v can I just chop the plug off the PSU and wire it to the supply already in the Dino King?
  • Getting the sound out of the cab speaker - not really sure about this one. Can I wire the cab speaker directly into the headphone socket on the Megadrive or do I need to go through the sound amp (assuming the Dino King has one)? Can I do something with the sound through the RGB Scart cable mentioned previously?
Thoughts, help, advice? :thumbs:

Cheers

Yes to RGB scart, yes to pad hack, 12v is fine and headphone jack is amplified so yup wire it up to the speaker :)

Sounds like you're pretty much there @ronsplooter . One thing I would say is do not buy a cheap RGB cable. Google Retrogamingcables and get one from them. They're the best out there at the minute and it'll be worthwhile picture wise

Just jamma the dino king and then jamma the megadrive, that way you can easily switch around boards if you fancy a change, the dino kings are very easy work on.

Just jamma the dino king and then jamma the megadrive, that way you can easily switch around boards if you fancy a change, the dino kings are very easy work on.

I don't own any arcade boards and likely never will so this seems like overkill unless it's the only way I can actually get the things hooked up?

Is it easy to wire these things for Jamma?

Yes very easy, a standard jamma switching power supply and a jamma loom is all you need (plus a control panel/buttons of course, virtvic on ukvac does nice panels) only a matter of connecting it all up then. Megadrive model 1 is easy to mod for jamma too, couple of guides floating about. I never needed an rgb amp when I done my md as the picture was bright enough.

Thanks @Mozie :thumbs: Already got a control panel from virtvic. Where's the best place to get a power supply and Jamma loom? I'm going to get joystick and buttons from arcadeworlduk.

Just get the loom from arcadeworlduk too, its hard to find looms with decent gauge wire but the arcade world ones are fine ive used a few, for the power supply i've bought 3 of these and never had a problem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...864415&hash=item2a7a56e4ec:g:vyYAAOSw~AVYq1L5

Little bit cheaper than arcadeworld too, of course you can get them dirt cheap from china but I'd rather my cabs not explode randomly and I've used this crowd before. Any help needed let me know ;)

Back
Top Bottom